Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-20-2012, 04:42 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

I recently discovered the web site duolingo. It is a totally free and well done language site that has an interesting twist in that as part of the exercises you do web site translations.
I have only recently started but so far - I think it's worth a look.
smileydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2012, 04:48 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileydog View Post
I recently discovered the web site duolingo. It is a totally free and well done language site that has an interesting twist in that as part of the exercises you do web site translations.
I have only recently started but so far - I think it's worth a look.
Thanks - - I'll check that out, too. Turns out my library has only one copy of Pimsleur Spanish for near beginners (they don't have the one for actual beginners), and it is missing one disk plus it is on hold for someone. I could request an interlibrary loan, but instead I think I will put that idea on hold for now....

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:39 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

I find that my hobbies fill up my hours and I only add on to hobbies and increase frequency of doing old hobbies. Some favorites :-
Travelling - once every 2 months with 2 long hauls (over 10 hours flight) and 4 short hauls.
Golfing - twice a week. Often combining travelling with golfing.
Running or just exercising - feel lost without doing this every day.
Movies/TV/DVDs - I just love watching and then recommending to friends on my FB.
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:29 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I find it interesting that so many list "exercise" as a hobby. I think of exercise as discipline and duty...if a pill could replace it, I'd take that pill and get all that time back.

I'm attracted to creative, artistic hobbies. Activities that produce a tangible result.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #45
gone traveling

Never had a hobby.
Don't desire a hobby.

I've always been too busy with "life" to have time left over.

Just my story...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:51 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
When I am hiking or hunting (my new hobby), I have been fooling around with cell phone photography.
I'll admit to being impressed with the capabilities of more recent cell phone cameras. And as I've heard and read repeatedly "The best camera is the one in your hand".
Old 10-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Never had a hobby.
Don't desire a hobby.

Just my story...
Personally I don't use the word "hobby". But activities (or hobbies) are part of life. Going for a run, painting landscapes, doing a woodworking project, traveling, etc. -- are you telling us these are not life?
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:13 AM   #48
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Personally I don't use the word "hobby". But activities (or hobbies) are part of life. Going for a run, painting landscapes, doing a woodworking project, traveling, etc. -- are you telling us these are not life?
I'm not saying that at all; however those activites were/are not part of the life I have experienced, not now - nor I forsee in the future.

I have responsibilites that do not allow me to "do my thing" (it's a long story)...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst
I find it interesting that so many list "exercise" as a hobby. I think of exercise as discipline and duty...if a pill could replace it, I'd take that pill and get all that time back.

I'm attracted to creative, artistic hobbies. Activities that produce a tangible result.

Amethyst
I know what you're saying but I do think something physical that goes beyond the exercise equivalent of brushing your teeth twice a day can be considered a hobby, including running, dancing, golf, martial arts, where the participant hones a skill or sees a result not required for everyday life.

Of course I don't have such hobbies
. Right now I like knitting and making limoncello to give away at Christmas.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:30 AM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Never had a hobby.
Don't desire a hobby.

Just my story...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Quote:
I'm not saying that at all; however those activites were/are not part of the life I have experienced, not now - nor I forsee in the future.

I have responsibilites that do not allow me to "do my thing" (it's a long story)...
Two thoughts come to mind.

Something I was once told (in a work environment), is that "nobody is indispensable". I took it to heart, and have found throughout life that is so true. Perhaps you can find a way for someone else to take on your responsibilities for a little while, to allow you some down time. I sure hope so.

My second thought is that you do have time to post on the forum, so maybe participating in forums is a hobby?

Old 10-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
But some people actually ENJOY exercise; well, once they get started on it, anyway. LOL If I am at the gym and in my gym clothes, there is no way that I would want to change back into my street clothes and leave without doing my workout first. It's really kind of fun and I enjoy it in the same way that a little kid enjoys recess at school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst

Amethyst
That sounds like fun, too! You not only have the fun of spending time on your hobby, but at the same time you also beautify your surroundings.

In the same way, it is fun to see the results of regular exercise and its effect on one's strength, endurance, and/or appearance.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

I know that's true. I see the guys doing their P90 workouts at the gym (or whatever they call that thing where they jump around on one leg, do planks on a medicine ball, etc.) and it's obvious they are deliberately honing a skill, not just exercising. But I just grit my teeth and get my routine over with. I've tried everything, and all I really enjoy are long walks.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
But some people actually ENJOY exercise; well, once they get started on it, anyway. ...It's really kind of fun and I enjoy it in the same way that a little kid enjoys recess at school.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I know that's true. I see the guys doing their P90 workouts at the gym (or whatever they call that thing where they jump around on one leg, do planks on a medicine ball, etc.) and it's obvious they are deliberately honing a skill, not just exercising. But I just grit my teeth and get my routine over with. I've tried everything, and all I really enjoy are long walks.

Amethyst
Perhaps the problem is that you are doing something you feel is compulsory rather than something you enjoy. If I am plodding away on the treadmill in the gym or getting up at 5AM to lift weights at home before work, I feel much as you do. When I am brewing (very physical), hiking in the Rockies, or biking a few hours with DW I am getting at least as much exercise as I do in the gym, but I enjoy it way more. I used to be a dedicated gym rat with a specific routine. Now I use weight lifting and treadmill time only as a supplement to "real activity" exercise. Its a lot more pleasant.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Things I like to do:

walking / hiking
cooking
gardening
woodworking / building stuff
playing simulation games
armchair traveling (exploring the world in Google Earth or Google Maps)
taking pictures
drinking tea gong fu style
drawing / doodling
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

brewer,

You are correct. Because of my scoliosis, things like tennis and dancing are out. I do the workouts because they help me stay good at the physical things I do like, such as gardening and hiking. And because they counteract (I hope) the bad effects of my sedentary job and sedentary hobbies!

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Perhaps the problem is that you are doing something you feel is compulsory rather than something you enjoy. I.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Let's see...
I grow veggies and flowers year round.
I do short distance road trips to visit friends and help them with their camps and gardens.
I drink beer.
I cook.
I do my reading and puzzle books (not crosswords) in the wintertime.
I volunteer at Legion and VFW fundraiser events. I take pictures of Memorial Day and Veteran's ceremonies and donate them to the posts.

I'm going to get back into sewing this winter. It started with me having to redo my canvas boat cover this spring versus spending $700+ for a new custom cover. I used to sew a lot as a young girl. I am definitely going to make some all cotton sundresses for myself. I may do some fundraiser type items to sell at the veterans' clubs or donate a handmade item for a raffle basket. Undecided on that...
Old 10-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Hopefully someday you will be able to do some things that are not in the responsibilities category.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:14 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Just got a mini wood lathe to broaden my woodworking projects. I've got 20 wine stoppers to build before Christmas. I hope I can squeeze these in given that I added cooking with a smoker as a hobby, and I've amped up brewing, hiking, and other hobbies.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:29 PM   #59
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I got a new hobby also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bike 2.jpg (398.5 KB, 7 views)
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Have approx 5 years to ER. Have always found reading to be the best use of my time. Recently bought a bicycle to get stay active and ride the bike trail that runs close to home.
Rickt is online now   Reply With Quote