A new hobby

I find it interesting that so many list "exercise" as a hobby. I think of exercise as discipline and duty...if a pill could replace it, I'd take that pill and get all that time back.

But some people actually ENJOY exercise; well, once they get started on it, anyway. LOL If I am at the gym and in my gym clothes, there is no way that I would want to change back into my street clothes and leave without doing my workout first. It's really kind of fun and I enjoy it in the same way that a little kid enjoys recess at school.

Amethyst said:
I'm attracted to creative, artistic hobbies. Activities that produce a tangible result.

Amethyst

That sounds like fun, too! You not only have the fun of spending time on your hobby, but at the same time you also beautify your surroundings.

In the same way, it is fun to see the results of regular exercise and its effect on one's strength, endurance, and/or appearance.

Last edited:
I know that's true. I see the guys doing their P90 workouts at the gym (or whatever they call that thing where they jump around on one leg, do planks on a medicine ball, etc.) and it's obvious they are deliberately honing a skill, not just exercising. But I just grit my teeth and get my routine over with. I've tried everything, and all I really enjoy are long walks.

Amethyst

But some people actually ENJOY exercise; well, once they get started on it, anyway. ...It's really kind of fun and I enjoy it in the same way that a little kid enjoys recess at school.

I know that's true. I see the guys doing their P90 workouts at the gym (or whatever they call that thing where they jump around on one leg, do planks on a medicine ball, etc.) and it's obvious they are deliberately honing a skill, not just exercising. But I just grit my teeth and get my routine over with. I've tried everything, and all I really enjoy are long walks.

Amethyst

Perhaps the problem is that you are doing something you feel is compulsory rather than something you enjoy. If I am plodding away on the treadmill in the gym or getting up at 5AM to lift weights at home before work, I feel much as you do. When I am brewing (very physical), hiking in the Rockies, or biking a few hours with DW I am getting at least as much exercise as I do in the gym, but I enjoy it way more. I used to be a dedicated gym rat with a specific routine. Now I use weight lifting and treadmill time only as a supplement to "real activity" exercise. Its a lot more pleasant.

Things I like to do:

walking / hiking
cooking
gardening
woodworking / building stuff
playing simulation games
armchair traveling (exploring the world in Google Earth or Google Maps)
taking pictures
drinking tea gong fu style
drawing / doodling

brewer,

You are correct. Because of my scoliosis, things like tennis and dancing are out. I do the workouts because they help me stay good at the physical things I do like, such as gardening and hiking. And because they counteract (I hope) the bad effects of my sedentary job and sedentary hobbies!

Amethyst

Perhaps the problem is that you are doing something you feel is compulsory rather than something you enjoy. I.

Let's see...
I grow veggies and flowers year round.
I do short distance road trips to visit friends and help them with their camps and gardens.
I drink beer. :LOL:
I cook.
I do my reading and puzzle books (not crosswords) in the wintertime.
I volunteer at Legion and VFW fundraiser events. I take pictures of Memorial Day and Veteran's ceremonies and donate them to the posts.

I'm going to get back into sewing this winter. It started with me having to redo my canvas boat cover this spring versus spending $700+ for a new custom cover. I used to sew a lot as a young girl. I am definitely going to make some all cotton sundresses for myself. I may do some fundraiser type items to sell at the veterans' clubs or donate a handmade item for a raffle basket. Undecided on that...

I'm not saying that at all; however those activites were/are not part of the life I have experienced, not now - nor I forsee in the future.

I have responsibilites that do not allow me to "do my thing" (it's a long story)...
Hopefully someday you will be able to do some things that are not in the responsibilities category. :)

Just got a mini wood lathe to broaden my woodworking projects. I've got 20 wine stoppers to build before Christmas. I hope I can squeeze these in given that I added cooking with a smoker as a hobby, and I've amped up brewing, hiking, and other hobbies.

I got a new hobby also.

Attachments

• bike 2.jpg
    bike 2.jpg
    398.5 KB · Views: 7
Have approx 5 years to ER. Have always found reading to be the best use of my time. Recently bought a bicycle to get stay active and ride the bike trail that runs close to home.

Hopefully someday you will be able to do some things that are not in the responsibilities category. :)
I don't ever forsee that happening. Growing up, I had parents that only cared for themselves, and how I could "meet their needs", as one of the "childern as chattel", as directed by my grandparents (all four) from the "old country". I was here for their benefit (as they often made clear); not that they were here for me.

As an adult (and a parent to a disabled adult "child") our (DW/me) respecive familes basically shut our son out of their lives, since he did not meet their norms.

Life sucks, then you die (and find release from your problems).
It's as simple as that, IMHO.

And no, don't call the suicide hotline (I/we can cope, on our own terms). I don't ask for anybody's pity.

If anything, this form opened my eyes to what "normal" familes are all about. Consider yourselves truly blessed...

Last edited:
I don't ask for anybody's pity.

OK, I can understand that but would you accept a suggestion? Being a caregiver can be exhausting. I do not really know your situation in any detail (thought your son had his own apt?) but if you have the constant responsibilities of a 24/7/365 caregiver you NEED time off. I would seriously urge you to hire someone on a long term basis who could handle the situation for at least one day a week.

You mentioned in another post today that in your youth, your parents required you to work for no pay, in what I gather was a pretty terrible situation. I am suggesting that you could be the good, caring parent to yourself that you never had. You could do this by declaring today "Rescueme Freedom Day" and hiring a helper.

Was delighted to see the reference to Duolingo... Looking forward to poking around in the subject.
Matter of interest, never really considered my self much into languages, other than my German minor in college, but now realize that three years of French in H.S., some basic Latin, a little bit of Japanese, from a week touring the islands (won a contest) enough Spanglish to get by, and some Esperanto, from my time as an "aggressor force" in the Army... perhaps a start on Duolingo.

My brother was a friend of Noam Chomsky back in the 1970's, and tried to get me in to linguistics... Maybe it's time :dance:

I was kidding about the Sanskrit...:crazy:

Back
Top Bottom