Join Early Retirement Today

A new iTouch!
Old 05-28-2019, 10:21 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A new iTouch!

I might be the only one who cares, but this makes my day: Apple announces a new iPod Touch. I love these things, they’re my workhorse throughout the day at home.

One of the Apple staff told me during my last visit to an Apple Store that parents like them too because they’re phone-like without the cellular plan. I make calls through my iTouch via Ooma and it works great.

https://nr.apple.com/d2s6D667w6

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2019, 11:06 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I had a iTouch years and years ago, but lost touch, no pun intended. How are they different than a non cellular iPad?
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:18 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I had a iTouch years and years ago, but lost touch, no pun intended. How are they different than a non cellular iPad?
I don't have an iPad (it's on my list), so can't give details. They're smaller for sure, I think the new models are the 4-inch form factor (like earlier iPhones). They're very lightweight, less than a similar iPhone. I don't think it's a good platform to do heavy reading although I seem to get along fine with things like reading NYT, e-r.org, other things that adapt well to that screen size. Kindle is way better for books.

My guess is that iPad lovers are all set with what they have.

My iTouch 6G (the latest before this refresh) has been suffering the same battery problems that many have experienced on iPhones and I think it's not as easy to replace the battery on an iTouch as on an iPhone.

I had an iTouch before an iPhone, so it's like a faithful (small) hound to me. My order's in and should arrive on Friday. I'm hoping my Otterbox case can do the job on the new one.

Old 05-28-2019, 01:22 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I have an old Itouch, it is slow, does not play high res video, slim. Like it. It is my music player in my car, via FM trasmitter.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:45 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

A new iTouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
I have an old Itouch, it is slow, does not play high res video, slim. Like it. It is my music player in my car, via FM trasmitter.

I did/do the same thing with an old click wheel iPod (hard drive, whopping 60 GB). I still have that iPod and a Nano, both still working but unused. The Nano gets OTA radio through the earbuds which I miss.

Now I have a Bluetooth/FM dongle that I use with iPhone/iTouch (the car predates Bluetooth). It works and sounds great.

Old 05-28-2019, 04:18 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a iPhone SE. It's an iPod Touch but with the phone.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:26 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
I have a iPhone SE. It's an iPod Touch but with the phone.
Ditto. When I got a new phone the old one passed on to iPod Touch duty, which it carries out admirably.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:17 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I have that tiny 1 inch square iPod that we keep in the car plugged into the stereo and holds all our music. I sure hope we never lose it!
Old 05-29-2019, 04:32 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I have that tiny 1 inch square iPod that we keep in the car plugged into the stereo and holds all our music. I sure hope we never lose it!

That sounds like one of the Nanos or a Shuffle (I always play my downloaded music in shuffle mode when driving and have come to prefer that).

I didn’t get a cell phone until 2001 and it was a Nokia clamshell, replaced once or twice until I finally got an iPhone in 2013 or so.

I was an early fan of what were called PDAs (personal digital assistants) and in particular Palm products (first a PalmPilot, then a Palm 3). Maybe that influences the way I view current devices.

Old 05-29-2019, 04:56 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Came close to buying one of these to replace an old itsy bitsy nano. Turn out the fake china charger adapter was the problem. She lost the original Apple usb charging adapter.

AGPTEK 16GB Clip MP3 Player with USB Flash Drive, Metal Lossless Music Player Supports FM Radio Recording, Black(U2)
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:57 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

We still have an iPod Touch for music. I didn’t realize they were still selling them, or maybe they’re just back on the line up. The market would seem very small now without a cellular connection.

And I see the “new” Touch has a headphone jack.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
A new iTouch!
Old 05-29-2019, 05:08 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

A new iTouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
And I see the “new” Touch has a headphone jack.

Yes, I noticed that too! But with Bluetooth earbuds I never use the jack anymore. I guess that decision by Apple was the right one to make.

It also uses the processor from the iPhone 7 (I think, definitely not the latest) and doesn’t support wireless charging [emoji20]

I’d assumed the Touch was a dead product line until this announcement and expected the age of existing devices would soon prevent iOS updates but apparently it’s undead for at least a while.

Old 05-29-2019, 05:12 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

[QUOTE=audreyh1;2243101]I have that tiny 1 inch square iPod that we keep in the car plugged into the stereo and holds all our music. I sure hope we never lose it![/QUOTE

I have the same I inch square ipod I keep plugged into the usb jack in my car for music - audio books. Works great.

I know most people use their phones and Bluetooth or car play. But this way I do not need to fumble to plug it in
jwkde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 05:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Ditto. When I got a new phone the old one passed on to iPod Touch duty, which it carries out admirably.
Ditto +1
Old 05-29-2019, 05:40 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
That sounds like one of the Nanos or a Shuffle (I always play my downloaded music in shuffle mode when driving and have come to prefer that).

I didn’t get a cell phone until 2001 and it was a Nokia clamshell, replaced once or twice until I finally got an iPhone in 2013 or so.

I was an early fan of what were called PDAs (personal digital assistants) and in particular Palm products (first a PalmPilot, then a Palm 3). Maybe that influences the way I view current devices.
I had a palm pilot. I think that’s what lead me to buy an iTouch all those years ago. Now I use an iPad and my music is on my phone/iPad.
A new iTouch!
Old 05-29-2019, 05:50 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

A new iTouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I had a palm pilot. I think that’s what lead me to buy an iTouch all those years ago. Now I use an iPad and my music is on my phone/iPad.

They were great devices (Palm) at the time (late 90s, I think?). I recall being amazed that I could receive email on a handheld, very “freeing”.

These days, text messages seem to make up the bulk of my person-to-person electronic communication on a daily, normal (not traveling) basis.

[ADDED] Don’t know if this is still the case but text messages from non-Apple users are a problem on the iTouch. Most of my friends are with Apple but some are Android.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:19 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
They were great devices (Palm) at the time (late 90s, I think?). I recall being amazed that I could receive email on a handheld, very “freeing”.

These days, text messages seem to make up the bulk of my person-to-person electronic communication on a daily, normal (not traveling) basis.

[ADDED] Don’t know if this is still the case but text messages from non-Apple users are a problem on the iTouch. Most of my friends are with Apple but some are Android.
My wife uses an Android and I get her texts, but they never "bing" Still haven't figured out why.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Yes, I noticed that too! But with Bluetooth earbuds I never use the jack anymore. I guess that decision by Apple was the right one to make.

It also uses the processor from the iPhone 7 (I think, definitely not the latest) and doesn’t support wireless charging [emoji20]

I’d assumed the Touch was a dead product line until this announcement and expected the age of existing devices would soon prevent iOS updates but apparently it’s undead for at least a while.
It's literally just a processor upgrade. Nothing else has changed. OK, it also added a 256GB storage option for lots of music, video, or apps/games.

But basically it keeps it alive at a low price point ($200) for mostly use by kids too young for a phone and a few other people.

For the kids it'll actually run the coming Apple Arcade games pretty well.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:37 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

My son still uses my old one!

I'd be very interested in a new one but ONLY if I can get the music I have stored on my iPod nano onto it without running it through iTunes. At some point iTunes "ate" most of the music I had stored on-line, including songs I had purchased through iTunes and music I had ripped from CDs I own. (I've since read that this is common. Some people lost music they themselves created and stored on iTunes.) The nano is the only device that still has it all.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:59 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
My son still uses my old one!

I'd be very interested in a new one but ONLY if I can get the music I have stored on my iPod nano onto it without running it through iTunes. At some point iTunes "ate" most of the music I had stored on-line, including songs I had purchased through iTunes and music I had ripped from CDs I own. (I've since read that this is common. Some people lost music they themselves created and stored on iTunes.) The nano is the only device that still has it all.
Any PC should see this a device with folders. Then you'd copy the music folder to desktop, etc. Maybe there is something else which would prevent this?
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote