Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Should the dollar bill be replaced by a dollar coin?
Yes, the dollar bill should be replace with a dollar coin. 24 34.78%
No, the dollar bill should not be replaced with a coin. 31 44.93%
I don't care. 14 20.29%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-14-2010, 08:37 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I was w*rking I would come home and dump all my change into a bank. When dollar coins were being pushed, I dropped a few a week in the bank. If they were to do away with the dollar bill, I would still put the change in the bank. So I might even save more money, which, would make the grand kids happy as they get the contents of the bank every now and then.

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2010, 12:38 AM   #22

I'm sticking with $1 bills. How would you fit dollar coins in a garter?

Old 08-15-2010, 12:54 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

I guess I'm caught up in my old ways.
I like the paper.
I empty all coins from my pockets as soon as possible and never put them back in my pockets. They end up either in a piggy bank or my son grabs them.
He would probably love the new coin though .
Come to think of it, I may need to do some investigating as to where all my money/coins do go.
I never see them again after they hit my mans chest each evening.
There may be a conspiracy.
Steve
Old 08-15-2010, 12:56 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
I'm not sure but it might be fun trying it
Old 08-15-2010, 01:29 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Paper bills? Coins? I'm waiting for the day the washers and dryers in my building get converted from taking quarters to plastic like the corner laundromat. Every few weeks I lug home two rolls of quarters, inflation will bring it to three rolls soon; sometimes I forget and wonder why my bag is so heavy.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:54 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Paper bills? Coins? I'm waiting for the day the washers and dryers in my building get converted from taking quarters to plastic like the corner laundromat. Every few weeks I lug home two rolls of quarters, inflation will bring it to three rolls soon; sometimes I forget and wonder why my bag is so heavy.
We've been using laundrettes a lot in recent weeks in our travels around England and it sure is much faster pumping 1 & 2 pound( and 50p) coins into machines than other coins. Washers cost 2 pounds each and driers 1 pound, powder costs 50p from the dispensers.

I have no problem with the paper dollar going away.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:53 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Been living in Japan for almost 10 years . . . the 100 yen and 500 yen coins (approx. $1 and $5, respectively) work very well here. You tend to spend them before they build up in your pocket. Perhaps its just a matter of personal taste, but I rather like the higher denomination coins and wouldn't mind having them replace their paper counterparts in the U.S.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:53 AM   #28

I was reluctant when Canada switched to larger denomination coins but like it now. Makes it easy for vending machines and saves money overall due to the high cost of paper money. After shopping I place my change in two containers I have on my fridge. One is for $1 and $2 and the other for smaller denominations. Each November I roll the $1 and $2 and this yields about $700 and the quarters give me another $150. These I take to the bank for Christmas money. The pennies nickels and dimes go into a coin counter at the local grocery and give me about $100 for Groceries.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:15 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It would help if they made the dollar coins more significantly different than quarters. Twice I've thrown them accidently into the toll bin. To add insult to injury, not only do you overpay but you don't even get credit for the quarter you thought it was!

I don't have a real problem with it, but there needs to be a lot of infrastructure change in order for it to work. An extra bin in the cash register drawers, all vending type machines accepting them, easy differentiation from other coins (size, shape, or color), stronger pocket seams, etc.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:50 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

In Canada we've had the coins since around '87 and it actually works quite well for me. I keep my "Loonies" in the console and use them for things like drive through coffees, car washes, shopping carts, and parking meters. They do get used up. IMO anything below a quarter is just dead weight though.

I'd love it if the U.S. switched to coins since I'm accustomed to colorful bills and when I visit and I am in a low light or a rushed situation I am always paranoid that I've mistaken a $100 for a $1.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:05 PM   #31

didnt read the whole thread, so i apologize if someone else mentioned it...

what the heck would i do with a bunch of dollar coins at a strip club?
Old 08-15-2010, 11:26 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
didnt read the whole thread, so i apologize if someone else mentioned it...

what the heck would i do with a bunch of dollar coins at a strip club?
It's been covered.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:13 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

No doubt the strippers would adapt quickly and find interesting places for you to deposit the coins . . .
Old 08-16-2010, 08:06 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I agree that replacing the dollar with a coin will never work unless the dollar bill is retired at the same time. It has been tried twice that I know of with the same lake of success. The sign of neurosis is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different outcome.

Why do they do this? All I can think of is that the dollar bill has some kind of mythic stature. We want George. The Canucks paste the Queen's face on all kinds of money, but we only have George on the dollar and the quarter and we don't want to lose him.

I work in Canada and prefer the $1 and $2 coins. I wish pennies would go away in both countries, though. And if debit and credit cards weren't so insecure, I would not use cash--but they are insecure and I minimize their use. Cash also limits my spending, which is a good thing.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:54 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
Maybe those dancers are behind the change, figuring that patrons will have to switch to $2 bills instead...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
I work in Canada and prefer the $1 and $2 coins. I wish pennies would go away in both countries, though. And if debit and credit cards weren't so insecure, I would not use cash--but they are insecure and I minimize their use. Cash also limits my spending, which is a good thing.
This is consistent with what I've heard from others in Canada and the UK. The change wasn't popular at first but became accepted over time.

I think many of us forget today that the "static" and unchanging nature of our coins is an outlier and perhaps that has made people more resistant to change today. Only in the last 50-75 years have we stopped drastically changing coin designs. Until they started putting dead presidents on the coins the designs changed every 25-40 years on average. Once upon a time it was normal and accepted to have different coin designs in circulation at the same time.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:55 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Wait, they still make paper and metallic money? Who knew!!
Old 08-16-2010, 01:19 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We use dollar and 2-dollar coins for parking, transit and laundry. One cup for $2 and quarters and the other for $1 coins. Cup in the car as well. Works great and do not lug around a bunch of coin.

For strippers, we use $5s!
Old 08-16-2010, 04:04 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | How do you spot a fake pound coin?
Old 08-16-2010, 05:44 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
Eliminating the penny would penalize people who pay cash. Someone paying by check, credit card or debit card could pay to the exact penny, but cash payers would no longer be able to, and those extra pennies would be a sore temptation to revenue-strapped state and local taxing authorities.
Various European countries (France and the Netherlands pre-Euro, Finland post-Euro even) have eliminated the 0.01 (and, if it existed, 0.02) coin from daily use. It's very simple: price ends in 1, 2, 6, or 7, round down; price ends in 3, 4, 8, or 9, round up. Overall, no price difference.

Much the same applies already when you buy gas, which is priced to 1/10 of a cent per gallon, and you can see two decimal places on the gallon. The agency which inspects the pumps makes sure that the rounding mechanism is neutral; there's no need for a 4-decimal-place transaction.