Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Should the dollar bill be replaced by a dollar coin?
Yes, the dollar bill should be replace with a dollar coin. 24 34.78%
No, the dollar bill should not be replaced with a coin. 31 44.93%
I don't care. 14 20.29%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

A new thread on Other Topics: Poll: Replace the Dollar Bill with a Dollar Coin?
Old 08-14-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A new thread on Other Topics: Poll: Replace the Dollar Bill with a Dollar Coin?

"In hidden vaults across the country, the US government is building a stockpile of $1 coins. The hoard has topped $1.1bn... "
Quote:
US officials and coin experts note that Australia, Britain, Canada and Japan have successfully introduced coins in similar denominations, but only after phasing out paper notes.

Most countries in the G8 have ceased to circulate a note in their base unit of currency.

Because a coin can last four decades while a note lasts only a few years, replacing the dollar bill with the coin could save the US $500m to $700m per year in printing and paper costs.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Because a coin can last four decades while a note lasts only a few years, replacing the dollar bill with the coin could save the US $500m to $700m per year in printing and paper costs.
I'm curious why the article failed to say how much the US could save if it stopped minting and storing coins no one wants to use.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:56 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Has this not been tried before a number of times w/o success? Folks like the George.

Now...if you want to start a poll/thread to eliminate the penny, I'm all in.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:06 PM   #4

The U.S. is one of the last holdouts in terms of making paper versions of their "one unit" base currency denominations. For example, Canada has no paper money below $5 and the UK has nothing below 5 pounds -- they have $1 and $2 coins (and 1 pound and 2 pound coins) respectively.

The changes were unpopular at first but now it's no big deal. I think our stubborn resistance to change sometimes borders on the silly and in this case I think it does as well.

Any attempt to introduce a dollar coin (and perhaps even a $2 coin) is doomed to fail as long as the "ragbuck" remains in production. Period. Either eliminate the paper dollar or stop trying to make a dollar coin succeed.

As far as the one cent coin goes -- the U.S. used to make a half cent coin. It was discontinued in 1857. Thus the one cent coin became the lowest denomination minted. But one cent in 1857 is probably closer to 20 cents today. So if we considered inflation and had a similar situation with coinage as in 1857, our smallest denomination would be either a dime or a quarter using today's denominations. (By the way, we did also make a 20 cent piece from 1875 to 1878 but it was largely rejected as looking too much like the quarter. Susan B. Anthony dollar coin, anyone? History repeats itself.)
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:17 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Who cares. I use cash (in any form) so rarely, I had to stop and think; who's picture is on the Dollar Bill?
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:11 PM   #6

I dislike carrying around coins. There are probably a lot of women who carry a purse who don't care but I care.

I am all for getting rid of the penny, and soon after that, the (wrong-sized) nickel. It is almost unbelievable that the penny (which costs more to make than a penny) is still in existence, it defies all logic.

I also found the US populace rejection of the 2 dollar bill strange, although that was over 30 years ago. I guess I might be OK with a dollar coin (at least the newer ones are lighter and smaller) and elimination of the dollar bill if the 2 dollar bill came back.

In the developing countries, I find the smaller paper currency very useful as do the locals: Colombia has a $1,000 peso note which is equal to about 55 US cents. Thailand has a 20 baht note which is equal to about 60 US cents. Philippines has a 20 peso note which is equal to about 45 US cents.

Kramer
Old 08-14-2010, 05:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Has this not been tried before a number of times w/o success? Folks like the George.

Now...if you want to start a poll/thread to eliminate the penny, I'm all in.
If it wasn't for pennies, the sales tax (which is already almost 10% here) would be rounded up to the next nickel. Nein, danke.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
If it wasn't for pennies, the sales tax (which is already almost 10% here) would be rounded up to the next nickel. Nein, danke.
Most proposals I've heard would have them rounded to the nearest nickel, not rounded up. So if it's honest, it would be revenue-neutral.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

Old 08-14-2010, 06:00 PM   #9

When we started using a rewards card, we stopped carrying small denomination cash. If I seldom use cash at all. DW and I use $2 bucks a week when we play cards with the neighbors. However, half of that is quarters.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:21 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I think keeping a dollar bill is best. I wouldn't mind carring a wad of dollar bills in my wallet, but a pocket full of dollar coins I would mind, even if the coins were small and odd shaped.

Now if they were really bold and made a "$2.50 bill", I'd go for that. (Divisible in both a $5 and $10). But I guess that would need a new name because that wouldn't be an even bill.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Now if they were really bold and made a "$2.50 bill", I'd go for that. (Divisible in both a $5 and $10). But I guess that would need a new name because that wouldn't be an even bill.
Quarter Sawbuck?

Old 08-14-2010, 06:26 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Who cares. I use cash (in any form) so rarely, I had to stop and think; who's picture is on the Dollar Bill?
HINT: What color is _____ ________'s white horse?

My vote = keep the paper dollar, get rid of the $1 coin.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
HINT: What color is _____ ________'s white horse?
Okay, thanks for the assist. So, the answer is that the Lone Ranger's Horse is White!

Let me double check. Yep, there he is:

Old 08-14-2010, 06:36 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Okay, thanks for the assist. So, the answer is that the Lone Ranger's Horse is White!

Let me double check. Yep, there he is:

Good return of the serve.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
(snip)
I am all for getting rid of the penny, and soon after that, the (wrong-sized) nickel. It is almost unbelievable that the penny (which costs more to make than a penny) is still in existence, it defies all logic.

I also found the US populace rejection of the 2 dollar bill strange, although that was over 30 years ago. I guess I might be OK with a dollar coin (at least the newer ones are lighter and smaller) and elimination of the dollar bill if the 2 dollar bill came back.(snip)
Well it certainly doesn't make any sense to have pennies that cost more than one cent to make, but I'd rather the penny got redesigned than eliminated. Eliminating the penny would penalize people who pay cash. Someone paying by check, credit card or debit card could pay to the exact penny, but cash payers would no longer be able to, and those extra pennies would be a sore temptation to revenue-strapped state and local taxing authorities. IMO, if one of the smaller-denomination coins is eliminated, it should be the nickel or the dime, not the penny.

I wouldn't mind a dollar coin and two-dollar bill, but that would run into the same problem sometimes brought up about dollar coins and fifty-cent pieces, which is that there aren't enough compartments in a standard cash register drawer to accommodate more kinds of coins than are currently in wide use.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:52 PM   #16

side thought...does the UK still have a 2p coin as well as 1p?
Old 08-14-2010, 06:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
side thought...does the UK still have a 2p coin as well as 1p?
Yes. And the U.S. minted two cent coins from 1864 to 1873 as well.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:17 PM   #18

we all have it wrong

we need a $.99 coin

and a $2.99 bill

or maybe make that $2.99 bill a $2.79 bill (indexed to cost of a gallon of milk). Its almost like a small denomination ibond or something LOL
Old 08-14-2010, 07:34 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Went to put two dollar bills in the subway farebox yesterday and was stopped by the gatekeeper, "no dollar bills, coins only." She pointed me at a change machine which dropped only two coins, old beat up dollar coins. I used them for the fare because I already have some mint condition dollar coins.

Haven't voted in your poll yet. My vote can be bought.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:19 PM   #20

Oh, yeah...I'd just love carrying around a bunch of $1 coins... As if my purse isn't heavy enough....good grief, no! Keep the paper dollar!!!