Join Early Retirement Today

Re: ......a new type of prescription-only fish oil has now become available.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:18 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina
From what I understand, the bigger and more carnivorous the fish, the more likelihood of higher concentrations. So.. stock up on sardines as opposed to swordfish.
Alas, it's not that simple from what I have read. Walleye, bass and other fresh water fish sometimes contain high levels apparently related to commercial runoff. But lacking that, the ones I mentioned are indeed the higher mercury species.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2006, 01:33 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Anyone know any science behind this?
It's good old cod liver oil, mostly. Sorry, no credible data regarding effects on mood, energy, affect, libido, or other traits we value so highly. You can get vitamin A toxicity if you take too much.

I learned decades ago never to dispute anyone's claim that anything makes them feel better, but if it's placebo-controlled, robust, evidence you want (as opposed to testimonials), there ain't none that I know of.

Of course, lack of evidence does not mean lack of effect -- but it also leaves open the unanswered questions of safety, toxicity, etc.

Seasonal affective disorder probably has its analog in lesser mood alterations as part of normal fluctuation with levels of sunlight spectrum exposure and prolonged confinement.

If you're a moderator, it could also reflect the recent increase in the insensitivity, immaturity, and offensiveness of posts in some topics here. If it were me, I'd hack and slash a bit in those cesspools in order to make me feel better. But that's a whole other issue...

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:39 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
If you're a moderator, it could also reflect the recent increase in the insensitivity, immaturity, and offensiveness of posts in some topics here. If it were me, I'd hack and slash a bit in those cesspools in order to make me feel better. But that's a whole other issue...
lol...agreed
Old 10-17-2006, 01:44 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Ah, you caught my drift.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 04:10 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We wouldn't want anything posted that might seem insulting to anyone because of their race, religion, sexual preferance, etc. Instead, we should make references to some poster's insensitivity, immaturity, and offensiveness. These references will be acceptable insults and not consdidered insensitive, immature or offensive because . . . Well . . . because we know that we are the good guys, damnit.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:35 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfpelican
Are you at all worried about mercury?

R_i_T: is this a legitimate worry? I'm told fish more than 2-3 times a week is dangerous.

pp

Yes, it is a legit. concern (worry?). However, I personally consult
with the State of Illinois fisheries dept. at least once per year and I
keep my consumption under the 2-3 times a week you refer to.

JG
Old 10-17-2006, 05:24 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

I have been crabby a lot lately.
Martha - From my personal experience with high grade fish oil, such as Nordic Naturals, my daily roiling anxiety stemming from, ahem over 40's female stuff : is almost non-existent (I haven't touched xanax since starting). Also, it's worth noting, that my knees are much kinder to me since doubling my dosage a week ago.

Not all fish oil is created equal. I've tried the Long's brand, Nature's Naturals, Country Life and Radiance with results (or lack thereof) that don't even come close to Nordic Naturals.

There's all sorts of studies on fish oil used on bi-polar and ADHD patients with promising results. Sorry, I don't have the details on why fish oil has mood elevating properties.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:50 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's good old cod liver oil, mostly.
I am not sure what you mean here. I used to take cod liver oil, but switched to fish body oil to avoid the high levels of vitamin A.

If you know of issues of contamination, or undeclared substitution of cod liver oil for oil which is marketed as fish oil I would really like to hear about it.

Thanks
Ha
Old 10-17-2006, 08:45 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
I am not sure what you mean here. I used to take cod liver oil, but switched to fish body oil to avoid the high levels of vitamin A.
Check out http://www.carlsonlabs.com/product_f...l?categid=0014. The poster mentioned only "Carlson's Oil." It looks like you can select from several products:

Here are the supplements from "fish oil" including Mackerel and Sardine (perhaps cod, too - deep cold water fish):

1 "super" capsule:
Vitamin E (as d-Alpha tocopherol) 10 IU 33%
Other Omega-3 Fatty Acids 100 mg *
Omega-3 Fatty Acids (from fish oil) 600 mg *
DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid) 200 mg *
EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid)

Here they are for cod liver oil:

3 capsules
Vitamin A 3750 IU 75%
Vitamin D3 400 IU 100%
Other Omega-3 Fatty Acids 60 mg *
Omega-3 Fatty Acids (from Cod Liver Oil) 300 mg *
DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid) 135 mg *
EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid)

Main differences appear to the the concentration per capsule, and the vitamin A content -- well within safe limits at recommended doses. Vitamin E is generally believed to be of no known specific benefit outside of amounts in a reasonable western diet, nuts, etc.. Optimal amounts are just not known. By the way, larger amounds of fish oil also affect platelets, implications not fully known.

Old 10-17-2006, 10:28 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I have been crabby a lot lately.

If you're a violent criminal, it might reduce your anger by one third:

Quote:
An earlier pilot study on 30 patients with violent records found that those given omega-3 supplements had their anger reduced by one-third, measured by standard scales of hostility and irritability, regardless of whether they were relapsing and drinking again.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/food/Story/0,,1924088,00.html
Old 10-18-2006, 12:18 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Fish intake article, benefits and risks here.