......a new type of prescription-only fish oil has now become available.

I'm one who has not only high cholesterol but high triglycerides as well. I tried Omacor a few months ago but had to stop taking it because of a bad skin rash. Another unwanted side effect was gas. Not pleasant.

2soon

yeah.. there was an article about it in the NYT.

"In Europe It’s Fish Oil After Heart Attacks, but Not in U.S."
http://tinyurl.com/haws8

The capsules produced as food supplements are apparently somewhat variable (plus how would Big Pharma cash in?).. then you got your FDA and your 'licensing' stuff.

I take Carlson's fish oil for two years now and have never felt better.............3000mg a day............

My GP's on board............

Ed_The_Gypsy said:
Huh? A prescription-only fish oil:confused:
Yeah, if you hook one of these babies out of the water they have a doctor's warning label attached, and the U.S. Customs Service will confiscate anyone driving them over the Canadian border.

For your reading pleasure, here are excepts from reliable medical literature and review articles. One of the issues of concern in large population studies is that surrogate targets like blood test results do not always correlate with improved outcomes.

I think this is a promising area but quality outcomes data are limited. As to concentrated supplements, the effectiveness and safety are not sufficiently well known. Comments in square brackets are my $.02.

Then again the initial evidence on estrogens and heart disease was convincing, too. Wrong, but convincing. Tough, tough research to do because of infinite numbers of unrecognized variables lurking in the background when you do population-based studies.

Rich sources of omega-3 fatty acids fatty acids include fatty fish, especially salmon, and plant sources such as flaxseed and , canola oil, soybean oil, and nuts.

Populations with high intakes of omega-3 (n-3) polyunsaturated fatty acids (such as the Eskimos) have low rates of heart disease [but have drastically different diets and lifestyles in many other ways, too.]

A meta-analysis of 11 studies involving 16,806 patients found that, compared to a control diet or placebo, a diet enriched with omega-3 fatty acids or the use of supplements was associated with significant reductions in fatal infarction (risk ratio 0.7, 95% CI 0.8- 0.8 ), sudden death (risk ratio 0.7, 95% CI 0.6-0.9), and total mortality (risk ratio 0.8, 95% CI 0.7-0.9). The benefits were the same for an enriched diet or supplements.

Side effects [dietary supplements, non-prescription]:

Gastrointestinal side effects including nausea, ...abdominal bloating, flatulence, diarrhea, and a fishy aftertaste. The symptoms often limit the use of fish oil.

Omacor - raises LDL cholesterol in significant numbers of patients.

Recommendations — At least two servings of fish per week are recommended to confer cardioprotective effects. The pharmacologic use of fish oils supplements should be restricted to patients with refractory hypertriglyceridemia and periodic monitoring of apolipoprotein B levels is recommended.

Hope this is helpful.

Recommendations — At least two servings of fish per week are recommended to confer cardioprotective effects.

What's a "Serving"? Usually they say 3 ounces. That's is one half of a small can of tuna fish TWICE a week. or about 2 tablespoons of tuna fish. Is this what they mean when they " a diet -rich in- omega 3/fish oil? TWO lousy tablespoons a week?

armacologic use of fish oils supplements should be restricted to patients with refractory hypertriglyceridemia and periodic monitoring of apolipoprotein B levels is recommended

What is "refractory hypertriglyceridemia"? I know what triglycerides are

Thank Y'all

I use Nordic Naturals. A little pricey, but well worth it. My mood :mad: has improved 10 fold :D.

razztazz said:
What is "refractory hypertriglyceridemia"? I know what triglycerides are
Means elevated triglycerides that didn't improve with standard measures like exercise, weight loss, diet change, alcohol reduction, and perhaps conventional medications.

As to servings, 3-4 oz is my understanding of an standard serving of fish. Not necessarily typical, but "standard" per this type of report. Isn't a tablespoon 15cc? An ounce is 30cc. So a 3 oz portion is 90/15 = 6 tablespoons twice a week. At least that's how I'd interpret it.

I like my oil to come from a snake.

Or, failing that, maybe a "hash." ;)

As to servings, 3-4 oz is my understanding of an standard serving of fish. Not necessarily typical, but "standard" per this type of report. Isn't a tablespoon 15cc? An ounce is 30cc. So a 3 oz portion is 90/15 = 6 tablespoons twice a week. At least that's how I'd interpret it.

The small cans of tuna flesh say 6oz. I will assume that means the tuna not the can and other stuff. Dump out the contents and you don't have much. That barely fills a tablespoon twice. I know the CAN referrs to weight and the TBLS refs to volume but that's irrelevent. A 6 oz can of Tuna fish fills two tablespoons, ergo the 2, 3 oz servings they keep referring to

That's how I see it anyway.

Cool Dood said:
I like my oil to come from a snake.

Or, failing that, maybe a "hash." ;)

You rang... :p

I take a 1gm capsule of fish oil - the expensive Walmart brand "Spring Valley" - once daily. My cholesterol and triglycerides were "elevated" last checkup. Will revisit again soon to see if there were any changes from last year.

I get my fish oil directly from the fish. The freezer is so full my friends
suggested I give each trick-or-treater a frozen catfish. :)

JG

Mr._johngalt said:
I get my fish oil directly from the fish.

JG

Are you at all worried about mercury?

R_i_T: is this a legitimate worry? I'm told fish more than 2-3 times a week is dangerous.

pp

pfpelican said:

R_i_T: is this a legitimate worry? I'm told fish more than 2-3 times a week is dangerous.

pp

Too much mercury in tuna and the like..........I stick to other kinds. However, if you eat a lot of fish, maybe you can rent yourself out as a thermometer............... :LOL: :LOL:

cube_rat said:
I use Nordic Naturals. A little pricey, but well worth it. My mood :mad: has improved 10 fold :D.

I don't know this brand, but I use Carlson's oil and I have noticed better mood also. I started taking it to keep my pipes open, but the mood improvement is noticeable, at least to me.

I take a tbsp a day, plus I eat fish about 5 times a week May through October, and 3x/week the rest of the year. This is manly because I like it. The oil is for health.

I start my fish year with sockeye in spring, and move into Kings by midsummer then finish up with a long run of Coho. Winter it’s mostly canned sockeye and sardines, plus some cod and exotics like mahi mahi. Sometines I'll grind up some cheap Alaskan bottom fish to make fish balls with white sauce.

Ymm!

Ha

pfpelican said:

Yes, I think it is a legitimate concern, but the available data linking high mercury levels to adverse health outcomes are not definitive or even suggestive (not talking about acute industrial toxicity, pregnant women or their babies, etc. -- just routine dietary exposure).

The plausibility relates to known toxicities at higher than dietary levels and a presumption that similar or novel toxicities might occur over time at lower levels. Kind of a common-sense concern, but not necessarily the case.

So, as with so many of these issues, a sensible approach IMHO is to rely on Gramma's "anything in moderation" approach. Given the benefits, I am comfortable eating 3 servings of fish a week (tuna, swordfish, salmon included) but have an open mind if data emerge down the road. Heck, I even had an amalgam filling put in cause it made dental sense (though it is the only one I have).

From what I understand, the bigger and more carnivorous the fish, the more likelihood of higher concentrations. So.. stock up on sardines as opposed to swordfish.

Not sure if it's possible to find out the main fish source of a particular brand of fish oil caps.. or, for that matter, whether the prescription ones are any different in that regard.. The NYT article said the Rx caps had no mercury. One non-Rx brand says "it has undergone an advanced molecular distillation process that purifies it of mercury, PCBs and other toxins so prevalent in fish today." (Sea Change Nutraceuticals)

"Nutraceuticals".. first time I've heard that word.

HaHa said:
I don't know this brand, but I use Carlson's oil and I have noticed better mood also. I started taking it to keep my pipes open, but the mood improvement is noticeable, at least to me.

Anyone know any science behind this?

I have been crabby a lot lately. :(

ladelfina said:
From what I understand, the bigger and more carnivorous the fish, the more likelihood of higher concentrations. So.. stock up on sardines as opposed to swordfish.

Alas, it's not that simple from what I have read. Walleye, bass and other fresh water fish sometimes contain high levels apparently related to commercial runoff. But lacking that, the ones I mentioned are indeed the higher mercury species.

Martha said:
Anyone know any science behind this?

It's good old cod liver oil, mostly. Sorry, no credible data regarding effects on mood, energy, affect, libido, or other traits we value so highly. You can get vitamin A toxicity if you take too much.

I learned decades ago never to dispute anyone's claim that anything makes them feel better, but if it's placebo-controlled, robust, evidence you want (as opposed to testimonials), there ain't none that I know of.

Of course, lack of evidence does not mean lack of effect -- but it also leaves open the unanswered questions of safety, toxicity, etc.

Seasonal affective disorder probably has its analog in lesser mood alterations as part of normal fluctuation with levels of sunlight spectrum exposure and prolonged confinement.

If you're a moderator, it could also reflect the recent increase in the insensitivity, immaturity, and offensiveness of posts in some topics here. If it were me, I'd hack and slash a bit in those cesspools in order to make me feel better. ;) But that's a whole other issue...

Rich_in_Tampa said:
If you're a moderator, it could also reflect the recent increase in the insensitivity, immaturity, and offensiveness of posts in some topics here. If it were me, I'd hack and slash a bit in those cesspools in order to make me feel better. ;) But that's a whole other issue...

lol...agreed

Rich_in_Tampa said:

Ah, you caught my drift. :)

:bat: :bat: :bat:

We wouldn't want anything posted that might seem insulting to anyone because of their race, religion, sexual preferance, etc. Instead, we should make references to some poster's insensitivity, immaturity, and offensiveness. These references will be acceptable insults and not consdidered insensitive, immature or offensive because . . . :confused: Well . . . because we know that we are the good guys, damnit. :)

Back
Top Bottom