Join Early Retirement Today

A pick up on living on $30,000 a year.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:33 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

A pick up on living on $30,000 a year.

We have had many posts on this subject, and it all comes down to where you live and do you have a paid off house. We all discuss mortgages/rent, & RE taxes as being the big culprit and kind of assume that all other costs must be somewhat similar. But I wonder how varied they can be.

As an example. I consider these expenses highlighted as high and think others may have more reasonable costs elsewhere.

Utility costs: I average approx. $350 per month all year round for utilities for a 1700 sq. ft house in the desert. (about $600 in summer months)
(Winter 68 degrees, summer 77 degrees)

Car insurance runs approx $240 a month for two cars (older cars)

Registration; Around $400 a yr. for two cars.

Cox cable (internet only) $68 mo. and soon to increase (only Netfix and Amazon Prime, along with OTA TV at about $18 mo extra)

Medicare Supplemental Insurance (Plan J -similar to F) $254 mo. for just me.

Dental seems outrageous here. Had a root canal done on front tooth. Took dentist all of 15 minutes. That cost $1,340 and that is without a cap which will be $1,200 more.

Food is hard for me to judge. Loaf of better bread $3.99. Gal of milk $3.49
Orange juice $3.99 Qt., Eggs $3.99 or $4.99 for Eggs Best. Ground beef $5.99+ lb. Don't know if that is high, med or low.

If we stop for an inexpensive meal somewhere, the cheapest meal usually runs around $12 ea., plus drinks and tip.

Home insurance seems normal to me. Runs about $650 a year (not counting an additional $340 for a @ million umbrella.

Real Estate Taxes are reasonable at about $1,800 a year and we don't have state income taxes, so that off sets the higher utility costs and maybe a bit of the high auto insurance costs.

All these costs are regional differences and we all must budget for them. Do you find much of a difference in these cost in your area. I am in the Southwest.
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2016, 02:26 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Utility costs: I average approx. $350 per month all year round for utilities for a 1700 sq. ft house in the desert. (about $600 in summer months)
$264/month includes water/trash/sewage, electricity($64), natural gas ($37), cell phone, and cable internet.
Quote:
$121/month for a 2009 Venza
Quote:
$66/year for 2009 Venza
Quote:
Cox cable (internet only) $68 mo. and soon to increase (only Netfix and Amazon Prime, along with OTA TV at about $18 mo extra)
$73/month Cox Cable internet only
Quote:
$217/month, federal retiree insurance supplementing Medicare.

Quote:
Root canal done on front tooth. Took dentist all of 15 minutes. That cost $1,340 and that is without a cap which will be $1,200 more.
$740 root canal and temporary

$800 crown afterwards
Quote:
Orange juice $3.99 Qt., Eggs $3.99 or $4.99 for Eggs Best. Ground beef $5.99+ lb. Don't know if that is high, med or low.
I don't really know. Not trying to cut food costs.

$271/month groceries
$302/month restaurants (all lunches, some dinners).
Quote:
If we stop for an inexpensive meal somewhere, the cheapest meal usually runs around $12 ea., plus drinks and tip.
$5 for cheapest meals, not fast food, water to drink. Tip is another dollar or two.

Quote:
Home insurance seems normal to me. Runs about $650 a year (not counting an additional $340 for a @ million umbrella.

$1653 at old house (flood, wind and hail, and homeowners).
$3109 at new house, not grandfathered in.
Umbrella policies not sold here due to messed up insurance situation.
Quote:
Real Estate Taxes are reasonable at about $1,800 a year and we don't have state income taxes, so that off sets the higher utility costs and maybe a bit of the high auto insurance costs.
$951 at old house.

Don't know yet for new dream house. .
Quote:
All these costs are regional differences and we all must budget for them. Do you find much of a difference in these cost in your area. I am in the Southwest.
My opinion from what you listed, is that you live in an area with high cost of living compared with New Orleans (except for house insurance! ). So, if you could keep that down ,or rent, it might be cheaper here. But what are you getting for these higher expenses? Maybe you get to live near relatives, or in a location that you love. It might or might not be worth spending more, depending on how much you like living there.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:25 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sounds like you might live in the Vegas area, I also live in the southwest (AZ) although at what would be considered the high desert so summers are much milder than what you experience.

My utility cost (electric, water, and propane) average out to about $100/month. Trash pickup $66/quarter.

Also have Cox internet but get by with their lower tier $35/month plan.

Dish TV locked into $61/month for 2 years.

Home insurance $420/year

Auto Insurance $620/year for a 2016 Toyota pickup.

If I need dental I drive to the Mexican boarder (25 miles away), root canal and crown for maybe $600.

Property Tax on 2250sq-ft home $2400.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:00 AM   #4

All our equivalent costs are considerably less here in Kentucky, as you would expect.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:05 AM   #5

Quote:
$120 to $160 (apartment) - thermostat set similiarly

Quote:
One older car, $37.56/mo - includes Renters insurance - USAA

Quote:
$57/year - one car

Quote:
$35/mo for 50mb internet + Amazon Prime (paid yearly)

Quote:
We cut way back on meat last year due to both cost and calories. We now buy no dairy or eggs, or bread either. So I have no idea what any of those things cost here.

Quote:
One thing that is expensive here is restaurants. The only place we could eat inexpensively was In-n-Out. Not very healthy, though. Our favorite vegan restaurant runs around $7-$10 per entree plus drinks, although we normally eat there for breakfast and coffee. Here a single taco on a plate w/ a few miserly toppings can easily run you $5-$7.

That's Austin for you. We pay $875 for a one-bedroom apartment, and it was pretty much the cheapest rate anywhere near where I work, way outside the city center. Tiny studio lofts downtown go for $1500/mo minimum. For Texas, that's damned expensive.

All of this is magnified by comparing it to Mexico where we lived the last few years. All of this is an order of magnitude cheaper there!
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Plan J is closed to new enrollees meaning premiums are not kept low by new, healthier members. If you are healthy and can pass medical underwriting, you should consider a switch to Plan G. I selected the following without knowing your age or location.

Preferred rates for 76 year old male non-smoker.
Phoenix, AZ: $168 Plan G through Shenandoah Life
Las Vegas, NV: $191 Plan G through Transamerica Life

For me:
Electric: $650/yr (all-electric house in SE U.S.)
Water: $250/yr
Cell Phone: $95/yr
Car Insurance: $600/yr (1 car)
Car registration: $12/yr
Car Ad Valorem tax: $150/yr
Cable TV: $420/yr
Cable internet: $180/yr (2mb)
Home insurance: $500/yr
Property tax: 0.4% market value
Amortization of lumpy expenses: $5,000/yr (new car, roof, HVAC, water heater, etc.)
State income tax: My income is below the minimum threshold.
Sales tax: 1% groceries, 10% restaurants, 7% other.
Milk: $2.99 gallon
Gas: $1.42 gallon
MBSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:02 AM   #7

Utilities (gas/electric/water/sewer): $262/month average
Car insurance - 2 cars, 1 is liability only: $46/month
Car tags/registration: $229/year... so $19/month
Cable tv/internet/netflix/tivo: $105/month (need to relook at this.)
Medical Insurance HDHP last year (up about $100/month this year): 1155/month (family of 4)
Groceries (family of 4): 915/month

These were all actual expenses pulled from quicken. But groceries were a little lower since we traveled for 9 weeks during the summer. I budget for 1100/month.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:41 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... As an example. I consider these expenses highlighted as high and think others may have more reasonable costs elsewhere.

... All these costs are regional differences and we all must budget for them. Do you find much of a difference in these cost in your area. I am in the Southwest.
I spend a lot of money for housing, but apparently cannot complain about my electric bill. It's $2123 for last year, or $177/month. The home is 2,700 sq.ft., and the temperature is kept at 67 winter, 78 summer. And I also have a pool pump. My highest monthly bill is $350 in August for 2700 kWh.

I am also in the Southwest, the so called Valley of the Sun. By the way, the bill for water/sewer/garbage collection combined is $1610 for last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Utilities (gas/electric/water/sewer): $262/month average
My total rate is then $311/month for a comparison.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:44 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Man am I living in the wrong part of the country!

My RE, income and car taxes alone come to $25K.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:55 AM   #10

3300sf home, two late model vehicles.

Last month:

$91 electric
$64 gas
$86 water, sewer, trash
$94 cable & 100mb internet

Last year:

$790 home insurance
$6800 property taxes
$1080 car insurance

Yesterday:

1 dozen eggs: $1.98
1/2 gallon orange juice: $2.35
1 gallon 2% milk: $2.85
Boneless, skinless chicken breast: $1.79lb
Avocados: 2 for $1
Gas: $1.46 a gallon
Old 02-11-2016, 08:36 AM   #11

Utitilities (gas/elec/water/sewer) $216.83/mo. avg. winter 72, summer 78
Car ins. 2 cars full coverage - $60/month avg.
Car registration: $22.87/month avg.
Cable TV + Internet: $122.49/month avg.
Groceries for two adults: $404.12/month avg.
Homeowners insurance: $73.24/month avg.
Property taxes: $225.50/month avg.

This in a fairly low cost Midwest rural community.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:50 AM   #12

I'm in Pa.

Utility costs: $30/mo water. $100/mo electric. 60 Winter 78 SUmmer

Car insurance : $58/mo includes 2 older cars.

Registration: $36 per year per car. Inspection : $50 per car per year.

Cable: $99 per month for one tier above basic. TV only, no internet.

Medicare Supplemental Insurance : not there yet. Happily using Obamacare with subsidy, so skating by at $36/mo.

Dental: Don't even want to think about it.

Food: Ranges from expensive to cheap for the same stuff, at different stores. I get 80% lean hamburger $3 a pound. Kiwi 25 cents each. Small grapefruit 25 cents each. Pork loin boneless $1.69 a pound. Whole chicken $0.99 a pound (but lots of water added).

Restaurants (non-fast food) are expensive for some reason. One lousy taco $8. What? One overcooked hamburger and fries $10. (no salad) What? Fortunately I have found a place that serves an excellent flat iron steak sandwich for $10.95, so much better than a hamburger.

Home insurance. $300 per year.

Real Estate Taxes: Horrible. $4,500 per year total for county, city, school district taxes (not including water, sewer, garbage, recycling). And always going up, of course. For a modest townhome. What?
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:21 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

We pay more in Federal income taxes than these folks are living on, so we're definitely in a different club.

Doesn't matter that we live in a very low cost of living area and no state income tax.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:33 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
We pay more in Federal income taxes than these folks are living on, so we're definitely in a different club.

Doesn't matter that we live in a very low cost of living area and no state income tax.
Perhaps I misunderstood, but I thought this thread was based on Imoldernu's original thread. I believe that thread assumed that you had no income taxes or portfolio any more, but just $30K in tax free income. So the point of that thread was to see if one's cost of living (other than income taxes and medical) could be brought below $30K.

Since the present thread does not include all costs of living, I'm not sure how it relates; one could get the overall cost of living in various locations at online comparison websites. Still I provided mine to give the OP a basis for comparison of the particular costs he was interested in.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:55 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Perhaps I misunderstood, but I thought this thread was based on Imoldernu's original thread. I believe that thread assumed that you had no income taxes or portfolio any more, but just $30K in tax free income. So the point of that thread was to see if one's cost of living (other than income taxes and medical) could be brought below $30K.

Since the present thread does not include all costs of living, I'm not sure how it relates; one could get the overall cost of living in various locations at online comparison websites. Still I provided mine to give the OP a basis for comparison of the particular costs he was interested in.
I'm sure I misunderstood.

I was just commenting. I won't be trying to see if I could keep after tax spending at $30K or less. Just thought it was ironic that I already pay more in income taxes.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:03 AM   #16

Living in NC:

Utility costs: avg $346/month
Water/Waste: $40
Mobile Phone (2 lines): $109
Internet/TV: $90
Electricity: $107

Car insurance $49/month (2011 CRV)

Registration: not sure had to pay property tax when moved here, haven't gotten normal bill yet.

Medicare Insurance ($355 for me, $399 for BF, no subsidy).

Dental is outrageous here too, 1 crown $1640.

Food .. your prices are about right for here too... we are running $1000/month (including toilet paper and such that we get at the grocery store) and that's on a super watched budget...but my BF is a runner and still eats for 3 and we eat mostly fresh produce (currently most fruit is running $1.99/lb ie one apple = $2 and that's at krogers not whole foods) and meat, very little grain.

Home insurance $634/year (Umbrella $160 for a @ million umbrella).

Real Estate Taxes: $1800 (and we have a tiny 1250 SQ FT house).

We wouldn't be comfortable on $30k we can probably squeeze down to $50K+tax. especially since our total out of pocket on medical alone last year was slightly over $10k and I already maxed out my deductible this year.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:04 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I am sure I can live on $30K if that's all I have. No doubt about that at all. It's simply not the lifestyle I am having, despite calling myself frugal. And I can stay quite comfortable too, if that $30K does not include healthcare cost.

Why, I spent more than 3x that last year, and that does not even include income taxes.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:23 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I couldn't image spending $30K/yr, every year. That's a lot of money to me. Here is my budget for 2016:

2016 Annual Expenses
-Electric:75/mo
-Condo fee
Tax/insurance/maint.:275/mo
-Internet/cell:75/mo
-Car-gas/maint./ins.:150/mo
-Food:175/mo
-Self emp./income tax:200/mo
-Health:75/mo
-misc.:75/mo

Total:$1100=$13,200/yr

This is just my budget for this year not my retirement budget. That wold have to include prorated car replacement and other large purchases but even that would keep me under $20K/yr on average.

This is for a single person in small town upper midwest with paid off condo. I'd happily spend more if I had more but I wouldn't be willing to work longer to get that extra money.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:25 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

First I should say I love these posts, gives a good idea of the average costs of living, it would be nice to know the State and even City/town.

Here is ours from 2015 Budget SS.

HOA & Yard Maintenance: $3191
RE Taxes: $8,000
All Utilities (El, Gas, Tel etc: $3,698
All Insurance (Not ACA) $2,750
Car Costs (Lease, Reg.) $7,300

North East Florida (No Income Tax State)

Eggs: $2.20
Milk 1/2 Gal AM: $2.50
Gasoline (Now): $2.00
Lettuce: $1.50
Tomms (1lb): $2.25
Old 02-11-2016, 06:28 PM   #20

To answer another poster's question, what I was saying is we often look at things like the cost of a home in your chosen area along with the real estate taxes and sometimes perhaps state taxes. in determining a more reasonable place to relocate to. (when considering COL)

But all of those other things we pay for like utilities, food, auto and home insurance, internet, cable, gas prices, medical costs etc. seem to have quite a varied price attached to them. Now I understand certain costs being effected by region.

Example: Homeowner's insurance being higher when you live in hurricane or tornado territory. Higher auto insurance when you live in areas with higher auto thefts, accidents or law suits. Higher utility costs when you live in very cold or very hot weather.

But things like internet service cost or cable costs should not be area specific.
Same with phone service. Mobile phone service is usually a national cost. Food also seems to vary quite a bit, which I question. As an example someone mentioned avocados running two for $1.00. Here in close proximity to California (a large avocado capital) as well as Mexico, our avocados run average $1.00 to $1.50 each. Gas is still over $3.00 a gallon here too.

And what about food? Once while traveling from the East Coast (Florida) across the country to the West Coast pulling a travel trailer, we stopped in a super Walmart to pick up some food items. It was one of the southern states (can't remember which one), and I was floored by the costs. I saw the bread I usually paid around $3.49 to $3.79 for $2.49. I saw many other items that were considerably cheaper as well. Now this was in a poorer area than where I lived, but these were name brand items and the costs were considerably less.

So, I question if things that have no contributing factors effecting cost, are just priced lower, like food, internet, cable, etc. Are they just priced lower because incomes are lower? Have others found this to be true?

And yes to the poster above me, to make sense of any of it, we need to know where people are located. At least the state would be helpful to make a comparison (though that can vary wildly as well) As someone guessed, I'm in Nevada.
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote