Join Early Retirement Today

a question about photoshop elements 5.0
Old 01-19-2007, 03:14 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

a question about photoshop elements 5.0

well havent been posting much since i got my new camera as i have been totaly consumed learning about the camera, learning about photography and lastly learning elements 5.0 .

my hair hursts from all this learning!

anyway heres the question"
heres something in elements i dont understand. when importing photos ,jpgs that were compressed from my old camera the origional files are say 186k. after i play around in photoshop and even if i make no changes and re -save the file in quality mode (10) the files are say 486k. why does the origional grow so much in size when the origional wasn't even that big. its not like theres more info in that origional jpg that can be improved upon by saving it in a higher mode.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: a question about photoshop elements 5.0
Old 01-19-2007, 07:30 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107
well havent been posting much since i got my new camera as i have been totaly consumed learning about the camera, learning about photography and lastly learning elements 5.0 .

my hair hursts from all this learning!

anyway heres the question"
heres something in elements i dont understand. when importing photos ,jpgs that were compressed from my old camera the origional files are say 186k. after i play around in photoshop and even if i make no changes and re -save the file in quality mode (10) the files are say 486k. why does the origional grow so much in size when the origional wasn't even that big. its not like theres more info in that origional jpg that can be improved upon by saving it in a higher mode.

Pretty wierd. Are you sure you aren't resizing the image? If you save it as a larger image, photoshop will insert new pixels extrapolated from the old. The only other thing that comes to mind is that you may be saving the file in the native photoshop format (psd) rather than jpg. The psd format is much larger than jpg. It includes all sorts of additional information and is not "lossy" - that is, it won't deteriorate with every new save like jpg will.

By the way, if you are editing your photos you should save them in the psd format to avoid gradual degradation. When you are finally done you can save a copy in jpg if you want to post it on the web or email it to someone or something.

Old 01-19-2007, 07:46 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If your hair can take some real pain... I'm told About.com has an Elements e-course complete with discussion group. Maybe some answers there.

Old 01-19-2007, 09:10 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

JPG files are compressed files like ZIP files. Each time you view a JPG file you viewer decompresses it.

In Elements you have the option of saving the files using different compression ratios. A setting of 10 gives the least compression and the biggest file size. Open a small jpg file that is really compressed and save it with very little compression and the resulting file gets bigger.

Each time a JPG files is resaved there is a possible loss of data due to the compression. It's best to work in a file format like tif to do the tweeking and then store in JPG format only when you're done.

UH
Old 01-19-2007, 09:23 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One of the problems I found (and a solution) is that these pictures are large and being so large they do not lend themselves to sending to other on the I; especially if they do not have a HS connection.

The solution was getting the FREE program Irfanview (I know, another program to learn). You can get it at www.irfanview.net (note the "Net" versus the usual "Com". This program will let you greatly reduce the size of photos and make it easy to forward over the I.

Even with a HS connection they will go a lot faster. Just try sending an unreduced one to yourself not using Irfanview and then do it using the program.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:10 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Army Guy
The solution was getting the FREE program Irfanview (I know, another program to learn). You can get it at www.irfanview.net (note the "Net" versus the usual "Com". This program will let you greatly reduce the size of photos and make it easy to forward over the I.
Irfanview is a great, free program for someone looking to do basic editing. Mathjak doesn't need it because PS Elements will do what he requires. The best approach is to edit your images in a non-lossy format like TIF or PhotoShop's native PSD format. When the image is exactly how you want it, you can save it as a JPG to reduce the file size. If you want to print the image you should save it at 300 dots per inch (a relatively large jpg) because that will provide sufficient detail for the printer. If you are going to view it on a screen (which usually will be done with images you email or otherwise send over the Internet) you should save the file at 72 dpi which is (for most systems) the highest resolution that will be displayed on the screen. In other words, a higher resolution image will be good for printing but won't look any better on screen, so you are wasting storage space to keep the high resolution. Another thing to watch is the dimensions of the image. If you want to view it on the screen, there is not much sense in saving it as a 11x14 inch image because you will have to scroll around to see the whole thing. Instead save it at say 5x7 - with a 75% smaller file.

What many people do is keep a high resolution PSD or TIF original and make smaller jpgs custom sized for various purposes (e.g posting on the Web, viewing in a screen saver display program, sending to a photo printing company, etc).
Old 01-19-2007, 10:21 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Army Guy
One of the problems I found (and a solution) is that these pictures are large and being so large they do not lend themselves to sending to other on the I; especially if they do not have a HS connection.

The solution was getting the FREE program Irfanview (I know, another program to learn). ....
iPhoto has a very easy method to deal with this. Just choose 'Share' and 'email' from the menu, and it gives you a choice of Small (240x320), Medium (480x640), Large (960x1280), and Full Quality. It creates a new file and does not alter the original (you could replace it if you want).

Small is good for dial-up, medium is large enough for most stuff over email, and large or full if you are really proud of your work and you think the recipient will 'appreciate' it.

Maybe PS Elements has something like this? I have a much older version.

-ERD50
Old 01-19-2007, 10:41 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50
iPhoto has a very easy method to deal with this. Just choose 'Share' and 'email' from the menu, and it gives you a choice of Small (240x320), Medium (480x640), Large (960x1280), and Full Quality.

I don't think Elements has a simple function like that setup. In Elements you would first resize the photo to say 72dpi and 480x640 pixels, then you would save it with another name (i.e., make a copy). You would still have the original and would send the copy (which you could then delete). iPhoto does seem to have a nice little function there.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:04 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50

-ERD50
It has something similar ... under the 'file' tab, click on 'Create Photo Gallery'. This sets up reduced size images, suitable for a web page or e-mailing, along with thumbnails and html code.

If all you want are the reduced size images, you can ignore the rest.

Peter
Old 01-19-2007, 06:19 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
Pretty wierd. Are you sure you aren't resizing the image? If you save it as a larger image, photoshop will insert new pixels extrapolated from the old. The only other thing that comes to mind is that you may be saving the file in the native photoshop format (psd) rather than jpg. The psd format is much larger than jpg. It includes all sorts of additional information and is not "lossy" - that is, it won't deteriorate with every new save like jpg will.

By the way, if you are editing your photos you should save them in the psd format to avoid gradual degradation. When you are finally done you can save a copy in jpg if you want to post it on the web or email it to someone or something.

don thats what photoshop must do, it must re-create more pixels by duplicationg some when you save a photo , even an un-edited photo in a higher quality mode.

no matter what you can't have more info than is contained in the origonal file except maybe exif info so it has to be creating out of thin air in order for the saved jpeg to be more than 2x the size. try it
Old 01-19-2007, 07:04 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

More than you ever wanted to know about JGP files.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG

UH