Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-09-2008, 06:10 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I don't give a rip about Sex and the City. And I did used to watch the show because it was on before or after the Sopranos.

We just came from watching Iron Man. I really enjoyed it. Robert Downey Jr. was perfect in the role.

I have to say that I enjoyed the Sex/City episode where the one who always buys shoes did not have enough money to buy her apartment when it went co-op. Because she spent her money on shoes.
The woman who "lived in her shoes"...

Ok, I admit, I watched it occasionally, mostly because every episode one of the girls bared their boobs...

All except Sarah Jessica Parker...

Won't go to the theater to see it; it'll show up on HBO eventually.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2008, 06:26 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't have HBO and only watched one episode when they began showing it on some regular TV station. I didn't like it - too much SEX stuff or something. I guess I'm showing my age and I'm from the free-love generation. I think that show started a major addiction for over priced, designer shoes and handbags that a good many women are probably still paying off on their credit cards.

I do like Grey's tho.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:28 PM   #23

I never watched the TV show and don't plan on seeing the movie. I rarely go to the movies anyway.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:07 PM   #24

Yes, I'll probably go see the movie but it's not on my calendar or anything. I liked the series in a non-fan kind of way and the movie looks entertaining. The series was really NOT about shoes. Lots of S-E-X! I enjoy going out to a movie because of the audience factor, people laughing out loud, making comments.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:33 PM   #25

Boring!!!

Nope, not going.

-- Rita
Old 05-09-2008, 08:00 PM   #26
Administrator

I never saw the show (I rarely watch TV), but I can tell you it was wildly popular among the young female associates in my NYC law firm.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:20 PM   #27

Thank god I am not the only one who doesn't get what the hoo-ha is about this movie. I probably watched one episode and found it so boring I never watched it again. SJP dresses like a fashion tragic rather a fashion icon. Whenever the girls at work are discussing this show like it was the best thing since sliced bread, I carefully fade into the background as an dissention is not appreciated.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:22 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I am more excited about the prospect of "Harold & Kumar: Escape From Guantanamo Bay" coming to video.

Oh man a big mistake...

Re watch white castle!!
Old 05-09-2008, 08:42 PM   #29

Not a huge fan, so I probably won't go to see SATC. The few episodes of the series I saw on TV, though, helped me understand why so many of my DD's friends thought they would all become journalists making six-figure salaries and living millionaire lifestyles in NYC. -- I kinda burst their bubbles when I shared an article I found that listed what some of the jobs portrayed on TV paid in real life.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:34 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

A friend of mine has suggested a "girl's night" to see the movie, and I'll probably join in. I liked the show, watched it on DVD and British television (no HBO here, either). It was mostly about the fashion and the female friendships for me...the view of male/female relationships was boring if not offensive.

aworkingrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:13 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've watched some re-run episodes on non-HBO channels. Frankly the gals are dating so many different guys, and different seasons of the show are on different channels at the same time, that when I channel-surf I get very confused (ie. Carrie is with Big on Channel 2 and her other boyish boyfriend on Channel 6, or were they both on Channel 10 in the same episode, and she was just sleeping with them both?). It can be entertaining, but I'm definitely not spending $ to see the movie.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:17 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I saw a couple episodes of Sex/City by happenstance. Was never inspired to try to watch it on a regular basis, so I won't bother to go see the movie either.

If we go see a movie in the next couple weeks, it will be Iron Man. That one looks intriguing!

--Linney
Old 05-10-2008, 04:03 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Never watched the TV show and have zero interest in seeing the movie.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:04 AM   #34

No interest in the movie and never had any interest in the show.. watched 5 minutes of it and it seemed so contrived. It didn't even seem to be particularly funny, or dramatic, or anything.. actually it seemed like a MAN's imaging of what women could be like.

For spoiled neurotic New Yorkers I'd much rather watch Seinfeld. That was more true-to-life.. (I'm thinking Elaine desperately in search of "the sponge"! And she has to decide if her date is "sponge-worthy"! Been there!).
Old 05-10-2008, 07:36 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I liked the series a lot and will be seeing it, hopefully, when it comes out!
Old 05-10-2008, 12:48 PM   #36

I never had cable except for one sem in college. So, I have always been either oblivious of or behind on the popular cable TV shows.

Back when we had a TV, I saw old reruns of Sex and the City on a regular (non-cable) network after the show had stopped running on HBO. I liked the show. I liked the portrayed friendship among the four women.

It was kind of jumbled for me because the reruns were not shown in order. So I began borrowing the show DVD's from the public libe but got sidetracked and stopped. Someday, I will resume.

I will wait until the movie is on DVD and borrow it from the library.

(Right now, I just finished seeing on DVD the first season of the Gilmore Girls. The libe has filled my reservation for the 2nd season's 1st DVD. I'm excited!)
Old 05-10-2008, 12:55 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I have to say that I enjoyed the Sex/City episode where the one who always buys shoes did not have enough money to buy her apartment when it went co-op. Because she spent her money on shoes.
It was Carrie, dear Carrie Bradshaw played by Sarah Jessica Parker. How could someone, who loves shoes as I do, not be dear to me? I can totally relate to her in this aspect, except for the types of shoes she buys. (I cannot walk in high heels, so I don't buy them.)
Old 05-10-2008, 12:55 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I did like the TV show. It was so removed from the reality of my life (just like most TV shows are), but a very well done show.

I have no plans to see the movie. I am somewhat older now, and so are the women from Sex in the City. I don't really care if Carrie marries Mr. Big or not.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:46 PM   #39

The show is fun - you can live vicariously through the characters -they are such exaggerations.

After a while though, I started to feel like Carrie's character was getting a bit old to have some of the epiphany's she was having or stepping into the same pile of doo doo over and over again...but hey, we all learn differently!

But overall it's just entertainment!
Old 05-10-2008, 06:15 PM   #40

Never watched the show.
I didn't even know there was a movie coming out!