Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-10-2008, 07:23 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm going . I watched the show for years and Mr. Big is hot !!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2008, 10:29 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Thumbs way up for Iron Man - but don't think about it too much. NOTE: Final scene after the credits roll - we left too early - drat! Amazing CGI....
But Calmloki, I have to think about it. Can't spoil the ending here but I'll be reading the Google combo of: "Homeland Security" and "Iron Man" at coffee break this week. I can hardly believe what I thought at the end, and wonder how many re-writes did it go through before Homeland Security said, "Ok, go with it!" It is a great movie, I want to see it again real soon. IMO, the best movies are a perfect reflection of their time and culture which brings us back to "Sex and the City."

I love "Summer Movies." (SO majored in cartooning). Saw previews of the new Batman, Narnia, Incredible Hulk, and an aging Indiana Jones; want to see them all and now I want to see SATC, as well. I didn't see the last TV episode but it got rave reviews, what could be more perfect than Carrie's F-me shoes landing in dog poo? Where do they go from there? Where is the culture now?

Old 05-11-2008, 11:09 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
But Calmloki, I have to think about it. Can't spoil the ending here but I'll be reading the Google combo of: "Homeland Security" and "Iron Man" at coffee break this week. I can hardly believe what I thought at the end, and wonder how many re-writes did it go through before Homeland Security said, "Ok, go with it!" It is a great movie, I want to see it again real soon. IMO, the best movies are a perfect reflection of their time and culture which brings us back to "Sex and the City."

I love "Summer Movies." (SO majored in cartooning). Saw previews of the new Batman, Narnia, Incredible Hulk, and an aging Indiana Jones; want to see them all and now I want to see SATC, as well. I didn't see the last TV episode but it got rave reviews, what could be more perfect than Carrie's F-me shoes landing in dog poo? Where do they go from there? Where is the culture now?
Oh crap, I left early too!
Old 05-12-2008, 09:59 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

I watched the show when it was on HBO, but have no desire to spend $10 in a movie theatre to see it. If it's on HBO and i'm extremely bored, maybe I'll watch it...
Old 05-12-2008, 01:51 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Watch the show occasionally, but the gal friends I have that just cannot wait to see each episode have all been married waaaay too long, I guess. As for me, I have single girlfriends who live their own Sex and the City lives, so it isn't all that exciting to me.
Not planning on seeing the movie, tho. I have a feeling I'll be let down by it.
I can say, however, that Carrie's beau's have all been hotties, for the most part. Who wouldn't like to meet a Mr. Big in real life?
Old 05-12-2008, 03:27 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

No desire to see SATC.

In the next town over on Monday nights, they are screening Bond movies all summer for free outside in a small park-like area. Tonight is From Russia with Love (they are going in order, saw Dr. No for the first time in a long time last week!).

Although I am very much looking forward to the new Indiana Jones movie, I will probably wait until it plays at our "cinema and drafthouse", where one night a week the movies cost $1.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:57 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Bond, James Bond.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:07 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Aren't these women old enough for social security by now?
Old 05-13-2008, 01:10 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Bond, James Bond.
Yeah!

When my husband-to-be asked me out on our first movie date, he very tentatively suggested the latest James Bond movie. My kinda guy! I love the James Bond movies.. It was a good sign.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:43 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Another vote for never watched it, didn't know there was a movie and don't care now that I know.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:34 PM   #51

No, I have not ever watched it and do not plan on seeing it at the movies.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:35 AM   #52

S&TC News Report

DW dragged me to S&TC Friday, she loved it, I thought it was....OK. I would have preferred Indiana Jones but it was her choice. Darn, & went to the opera on Sunday; when is it my turn?. At S&TC there were an amazing number of women there, and all dressed up like date night. Thought you would find this interesting, from the LA Times:

'Sex and the City' is No. 1 at box office - Los Angeles Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post
I know the guys will be peeking at this (but you'll be disappointed when you hear that I am just asking a movie!).

What I want to know is: is anyone excited about/planning to see the film version of Sex and the City when it comes out at the end of the month? Am I truly the only female who doesn't consider this a major life event and isn't going to go (I'm not even going to rent it)?

I have a new friend who is 47 and suggested going to this as a "girl's night out" thing. I was floored because she talks about living below her means and being into spiritual things. She also doesn't like going to movies due to the expense and rudeness of the audience. But it seems like she is willing to deal with all that for this film....

What am I missing here? True, I've never watched the TV show, but from what I can gather, it's about four women who live in New York and spend a lot of time and energy on their appearance, especially with very expensive clothes. In 2008, is this really still of such interest? And I'm not even sure it's all that much about sex---I've heard the women may be with a lot of guys, but more in a quest to finally end up with "Mr. Right" than to fulfill their libido.

At least on this board, I would assume/hope there is someone who also doesn't need to see (and pay for the privilege) multiple product placements of expensive shoes....Am I right?
Old 06-02-2008, 12:34 PM   #53

My wife bought a pair of Manolo Blahnik's and then said "why did I buy those?".. they went back the next day.

Aside from that, we watched through the tv series (borrowed the dvds from friends), but mostly out of morbid curiousity... no desire to go see this movie, but then she usually couldn't care less about going to the movie theater, so that probably at least has something to do with it. Will report back when it's available on Netflix.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:41 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Went to see it today with my mom. Is this an Oscar contender? No. Did we enjoy the movie? Very much. Of course, we did follow the series on TV so it was kind of like seeing old friends again. I don't think those who didn't get to know the characters from the series would enjoy this movie. Still, it was a pleasant distraction and not even that expensive since we got a matinee discount plus mom's senior citizen discount on her ticket. All in all, a fun mother-daughter afternoon out.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:30 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

If my daughter was in town we would go and have Martinis afterward . We both followed the series . She was more an Aiden fan while I rooted for Mr. Big !
Old 06-02-2008, 05:59 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
If my daughter was in town we would go and have Martinis afterward . We both followed the series . She was more an Aiden fan while I rooted for Mr. Big !
You two might also enjoy Cosmos - the drink made popular from the series and featured in the movie. Here's the recipe:

Things You’ll Need:
  • Vodka
  • Cranberry Juice
  • Grand Marnier
  • Lime Juice
  • Lime Wedges
Step1
Place 1 Cup Vodka, 1/2 Cup Cranberry Juice, 1/2 Cup Grand Marnier and 1/4 Cup Lime Juice into a cocktail shaker with ice.
Step2
Shake Well.
Step3
Strain into 4 chilled Cosmo Glasses.
Step4
Garnish with a lime wedge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cosmo.jpg (14.7 KB, 59 views)
Old 06-02-2008, 07:36 PM   #57

Guys, I think women want to see the movie for the same reason women look at your "Playboy." For (straight) women it's looking at how the gal's makeup is applied, their hairstyles, the clothing. For men it's the...well, you know....
Old 06-02-2008, 08:00 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

I'll probably go with my daughter. I know some reviewers commented favorably on the movie's emphasis on the importance of having and being friends. I can't fault that concept.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:25 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

I asked a woman - age 22 - about it. She said she didn't like the HBO series because all it was about was women trying to get a man.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:32 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Guys, I think women want to see the movie for the same reason women look at your "Playboy." For (straight) women it's looking at how the gal's makeup is applied, their hairstyles, the clothing. For men it's the...well, you know....
So, should I be worried if it's her subscription :confused:

Actually, Playboy probably has some of the most artistic, least sexual (but quite sensual) photography of the lot... too bad the mrs let her subscription lapse.