Join Early Retirement Today

A Question for the Women on the Board
Old 05-09-2008, 02:52 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

A Question for the Women on the Board

I know the guys will be peeking at this (but you'll be disappointed when you hear that I am just asking a movie!).

What I want to know is: is anyone excited about/planning to see the film version of Sex and the City when it comes out at the end of the month? Am I truly the only female who doesn't consider this a major life event and isn't going to go (I'm not even going to rent it)?

I have a new friend who is 47 and suggested going to this as a "girl's night out" thing. I was floored because she talks about living below her means and being into spiritual things. She also doesn't like going to movies due to the expense and rudeness of the audience. But it seems like she is willing to deal with all that for this film....

What am I missing here? True, I've never watched the TV show, but from what I can gather, it's about four women who live in New York and spend a lot of time and energy on their appearance, especially with very expensive clothes. In 2008, is this really still of such interest? And I'm not even sure it's all that much about sex---I've heard the women may be with a lot of guys, but more in a quest to finally end up with "Mr. Right" than to fulfill their libido.

At least on this board, I would assume/hope there is someone who also doesn't need to see (and pay for the privilege) multiple product placements of expensive shoes....Am I right?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2008, 02:54 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am more excited about the prospect of "Harold & Kumar: Escape From Guantanamo Bay" coming to video.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:00 PM   #3

Tango, 100% with you! Never seen the show, won't see the movie.

How ridiculous and shallow these shows are--escapist junk that makes me really glad I don't bother with TV. I have girlfriends that schedule our 2x month girls' night out around something called "Gray's"...they'd rather sit in front of a screen than around a table with friends! Imagine!

Heck, I'm pretty excited about the X-files movie coming out in July, but I am pretty sure that will be my one movie for the year!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:14 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I have given up on trying to understand women or men; it makes life much more peaceful.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:14 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

SO and I are somewhat excited about going to see "Iron Man" in a newly re-opened theater, I'm getting to really like Robert Downey, Jr.

We have watched the TV version of "Sex and The City." Isn't that for when there is nothing else on? OTOH, it is fun making jokes about Big/Logan/Statin Island. And, can you believe that gal's hair? Oh, but that's another thread.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:14 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

You could just say you don't want to go--maybe she's just trying to be nice. Different strokes....

I saw Iron Man last weekend and will probably go see SATC (as the cultists call it) on a girls' night out with DD.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:19 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

No desire to see the movie...only watched the TV show when boared.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:41 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I'm casting my vote..... I won't see the movie because the tv show bored me to tears. I saw maybe two episodes and they both bored me. When I got over the boredom, I was annoyed....

and yes, I am a woman.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:45 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
SO and I are somewhat excited about going to see "Iron Man" in a newly re-opened theater, I getting to really like Robert Downey, Jr.

We have watched the TV version of "Sex and The City." Isn't that for when there is nothing else on? OTOH, it is fun making jokes about Big/Lucas/Statin Island. And, can you believe that gal's hair? Oh, but that's another thread.

I don't give a rip about Sex and the City. And I did used to watch the show because it was on before or after the Sopranos.

We just came from watching Iron Man. I really enjoyed it. Robert Downey Jr. was perfect in the role.

I have to say that I enjoyed the Sex/City episode where the one who always buys shoes did not have enough money to buy her apartment when it went co-op. Because she spent her money on shoes.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:55 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

My mom (age 76) and I are already planning to see Sex in the City. We enjoyed the cable program and look forward to the movie. I believe those who didn't follow the series on TV would not enjoy this picture. Naturally, DH has no interest in going. Guess I'm the only one so far planning to go - should be lots of room in the movie theatre!
Old 05-09-2008, 03:58 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

You know, I was just thinking...maybe if there was a show called "Sex in the Strangest Places"...well, that might peak my interest.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:59 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

The show was on HBO, I'd guess there are plenty of people who don't have HBO who have never seen this show, such as myself. Don't think I would have watched it if I did have HBO since the subject matter seems tiresome to me.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:03 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I don't imagine this board is the intended audience for this movie.

By the way, here's a movie I was just forced to see (it sort of balanced out Iron Man for me): Made of Honor. Sex and the City will look like Citizen Kane compared to that.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:09 PM   #14
Administrator

I tried to watch the TV show several times, but never made it past five or ten minutes. I think Sex and the City must be more of a guy show. (?) Does nothing for me, anyway.

I don't have HBO but they show re-runs on one of the channels I get on my bare bones basic cable.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:21 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Never got into this show on TV and don't plan to see the movie.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:23 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I never watched the TV show (we don't have HBO) and don't plan on seeing the movie. I do like watching the Gray's Anatomy show though and I will rent Made of Honor as soon as it comes out on DVD.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:17 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
SO and I are somewhat excited about going to see "Iron Man" in a newly re-opened theater, I'm getting to really like Robert Downey, Jr. .
Thumbs way up for Iron Man - but don't think about it too much. NOTE: Final scene after the credits roll - we left too early - drat! Amazing CGI.

OTOH, Jet Li and Jackie Chan made a real stinker with Forbidden Kingdom - and i like both of them! It was so bad we were yawning and would have walked out, but the tickets were all paid for... so we wasted more time as well as the ticket cost. There's some investment lesson to be learned there...
Old 05-09-2008, 05:28 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I liked Sex and the City but I haven't gone to the movie theatre in ages and don't think I will bother now. I may even need to cancel my subscription to Netflix soon, we just aren't very interested in TV right now.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:03 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

No Sex in the City, no Desperate Housewives and no Survivor type shows. I'm a South Park fan so that tells you the level of my mentality.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:06 PM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer08 View Post
No Sex in the City, no Desperate Housewives and no Survivor type shows. I'm a South Park fan so that tells you the level of my mentality.
Last South Park I seen was with World of Warcraft

Funny stuff. ya um thats about my level of mentality