"A Quiz For People Who Know Everything"

It's not considered a dropped third strike--even if the batter swings and misses.

I think it is....:) But I only got one answer right, so what do I know? I think that a wild pitch or passed ball are the two ways that a dropped third strike is classified, depending on whose fault the "drop" was.

I think it is....:) But I only got one answer right, so what do I know? I think that a wild pitch or passed ball are the two ways that a dropped third strike is classified, depending on whose fault the "drop" was.

Ah, let's wait around. Texas Proud will research this all night until he
finds the answer.:)

2,4,5,6,7,8,9,11. Oh well. Back to the library.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Ah, let's wait around. Texas Proud will research this all night until he
finds the answer.:)

Just have to look for the MLB rules....

Just as an FYI, it is not considered an error, so it would not be scored E2...

10.13 WILD PITCHES AND PASSED BALLS
A wild pitch is defined in Rule 2.00 (Wild Pitch). A passed ball is a statistic charged against a catcher whose action has caused a runner or runners to advance, as set forth in this Rule 10.13.

(a) The official scorer shall charge a pitcher with a wild pitch when a legally delivered ball is so high, so wide or so low that the catcher does not stop and control the ball by ordinary effort, thereby permitting a runner or runners to advance. The official scorer shall charge a pitcher with a wild pitch when a legally delivered ball touches the ground or home plate before reaching the catcher and is not handled by the catcher, thereby permitting a runner or runners to advance. When the third strike is a wild pitch, permitting the batter to reach first base, the official scorer shall score a strikeout and a wild pitch.

(b) The official scorer shall charge a catcher with a passed ball when the catcher fails to hold or to control a legally pitched ball that should have been held or controlled with ordinary effort, thereby permitting a runner or runners to advance. When the third strike is a passed ball, permitting the batter to reach first base, the official scorer shall score a strikeout and a passed ball.

Lucky guess, 48Fire.:)

Just have to look for the MLB rules....

Just as an FYI, it is not considered an error, so it would not be scored E2...

10.13 WILD PITCHES AND PASSED BALLS ...

(b) The official scorer shall charge a catcher with a passed ball when the catcher fails to hold or to control a legally pitched ball that should have been held or controlled with ordinary effort, thereby permitting a runner or runners to advance. When the third strike is a passed ball, permitting the batter to reach first base, the official scorer shall score a strikeout and a passed ball.

So, a dropped third strike that allows the batter to reach first base safely is considered the same as a passed ball. And, the catcher is not charged with an error but is simply charged with a passed ball? Any other player who drops a ball that should have been caught, letting a runner reach base, gets charged with an error. No wonder baseball has lost out to football as the National Past-Time.

Anyhow, thanks Texas Proud. Feel free to go back to solving Greece's financial crisis.:) Maybe the answers are in the MLB rule book.

A dropped 3rd strike is scored as a strikeout, then either a wild pitch or passed ball depending on whether the scorer judges the catcher should have been able to field the pitch. Normally for this type of quiz these are grouped together as "dropped third strike".

Another way for a runner to reach first base is fielder interference. If a fielder interferes with the batter/runner trying to reach first, the umpire can award him first base.

I got 1, 4, 6, 8 , 9, and 10 (kind of, I missed pinch runner but got 6 with fielder interference). And how about Mendenhall Glacier for #2? I suppose it isn't constantly moving backwards as glaciers probably don't retreat in winter? On a yearly basis they are constantly retreating though. Depends on the wording, but I'll also say that a waterfall may be reducing in size, but that's not "moving backward".

I kinda like baseball, but never got that deep in these sorts of rules. So a Q:

I'm confused by this 'when the third strike is a wild pitch' terminology. A batter would not normally swing at a 'wild pitch', and a 'wild pitch' would not be in the strike zone, right?

Are we saying the batter did swing at a wild pitch in this case?

-ERD50

I'm confused by this 'when the third strike is a wild pitch' terminology. A batter would not normally swing at a 'wild pitch', and a 'wild pitch' would not be in the strike zone, right?

-ERD50

Yes. A common occurrence would be a sharp curve that the batter bit at, and the ball dropped into the dirt. (Curve balls actually drop up to down more than they break side to side, by design.) Usually a ball in the dirt is scored a wild pitch even though a good catcher can usually snag them. Scorers won't penalize a catcher for failing to make an non-routine play.

I've even heard of a couple cases where a batter swung at a very wild strike 2 pitch figuring it would get by the pitcher and they can get first base. A wild swing can make it even tougher on the catcher. I can't name such an event, and it may never have happened in the majors. I found a discussion about this here: Baseball batter intentionally swinging at a wild pitch third strike? - Straight Dope Message Board

Lucky guess, 48Fire.:)

So, a dropped third strike that allows the batter to reach first base safely is considered the same as a passed ball. And, the catcher is not charged with an error but is simply charged with a passed ball? Any other player who drops a ball that should have been caught, letting a runner reach base, gets charged with an error. No wonder baseball has lost out to football as the National Past-Time.

Anyhow, thanks Texas Proud. Feel free to go back to solving Greece's financial crisis.:) Maybe the answers are in the MLB rule book.

Reading about this.... the passed ball is a separate statistic.... you do not give the catcher a passed ball AND an error for the guy getting to first... the same goes for a wild pitch... it is scored that way without an error...

-ERD50

I saw this in a game on TV....

There was a guy on first.... and there were two strikes... the pitching team called a pitch out thinking the guy was going to steal... the batting team called a hit and run... the catcher jumps up to snag the ball and the batter lunged at it and swung.... catcher missed the ball because he was not expecting a bat to be flying by him...

But, not sure if they called it a wild pitch or a passed ball.... the ball was no where close to the strike zone... it wasn't pretty....

If the batter swings and misses a pitch that is ten feet over his head, then it is still referred to as "dropped third strike", although the implication is a little off. It would be scored as a strikeout and a wild pitch (blaming the pitcher). If the catcher should have caught it with reasonable effort, it would be scored as a strikeout and a passed ball. I don't think in either case it is scored as an "error". All semantics I guess. :)

Reading about this.... the passed ball is a separate statistic.... you do not give the catcher a passed ball AND an error for the guy getting to first... the same goes for a wild pitch... it is scored that way without an error...

The important lessons I learned here is: not to disagree with a guy who goes by the name 48Fire (I ER'd (?) at 70) and not to disagree with a guy who reads the rule book.

We were at a baseball game recently, minor league pro, and the batter swung and missed (maybe a foul tip? Maybe not) on the third strike; catcher dropped the ball, batter was just standing there til ump told him to get to first and started running; catcher found ball and threw it to first, easily beating the batter, who was then out. The catcher apparently could also have tagged the batter before he ran down the baseline. Yes we were confused but not as much as the batter and possibly the catcher who probably should know these rules. But most entertaining for the spectators.

We were at a baseball game recently, minor league pro, and the batter swung and missed (maybe a foul tip? Maybe not) on the third strike; catcher dropped the ball, batter was just standing there til ump told him to get to first and started running; catcher found ball and threw it to first, easily beating the batter, who was then out. The catcher apparently could also have tagged the batter before he ran down the baseline. Yes we were confused but not as much as the batter and possibly the catcher who probably should know these rules. But most entertaining for the spectators.
My guess is that it was tipped, and therefore a foul and not a third strike, and the umpire didn't see that. Both batter and catcher treated it as a tip. Did the umpire call out "strike three"? Hearing that, not followed by "you're out" would be the signal needed for the other two as they need to react to how the umpire calls it even if it wasn't right.

The ump should not be telling the batter to run. It's not his job to tell players what to do. Pretty sure he should watch, and if the batter returns to the dugout he can call him out for abandoning the attempt to take first base. You see a similar thing if a runner misses home plate but is not tagged. The ump will not make a safe signal, or any signal. If a defensive player with the ball tags him, he is out. If the runner returns to the dugout without being tagged, the defense can appeal to the ump that he missed home, and would be called out. If they fail to do either before the next pitch, the run counts even though the runner never touched home. It would be very improper for the ump to tell the catcher he still has to tag the runner, or to tell the runner to come back and touch home.

#1... guessed orienteering
#2... guessed Space Needle Restaurant
#4... guessed cricket... shoulda known BB
#5... guessed "none" and still think I'm right. Strawberry "seeds" are tiny fruits, not technically seeds.
#11... missed lettuce, guessed celery... dumb, except that V8 juice contains lettuce

got the rest of them...

agree on artichokes... perennial, with some care.

:confused: on reaching base... redduck's list looked pretty good... if the batter gets a "hit", reaches first base, but a runner is thrown out in a run down at home, ending the inning, does the hit count?

A fun exercise... :)

Last edited:
:confused: on reaching base... redduck's list looked pretty good... if the batter gets a "hit", reaches first base, but a runner is thrown out in a run down at home, ending the inning, does the hit count?

A fun exercise... :)

This is a guess from the little I know...

Yes... as long as he gets to first before the rundown starts...

IOW, if it is a hit to the SS and he throws home to get the runner out (don't know why he would not have thrown to first.. but hey)... and it takes awhile to get the runner out... there is no hit since it was fielders choice....

But say there is a runner on second... and the hit it to the outfield and the runner tries to score... it does not matter if there were a rundown or not, the hit stands...

11) I've only seen kiwi sold fresh.

It comes frozen in bags now. People add them to their smoothies.

I would nitpick and say lettuce is processed in that you can buy those lettuce or salad bags now. I guess it is still "fresh" though. If you remember to use it quick that is.. :cool:

Got 5 of them, for the record.

Come to think of it, pretty sure you can buy stir-fried salad.

And frozen / precooked wok dishes sometimes contain salad.

Come to think of it, pretty sure you can buy stir-fried salad.

And frozen / precooked wok dishes sometimes contain salad.

I've grilled romain lettuce. But I guess I've never seen lettuce sold cooked. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but I would say it is a rarity.

Hah, they should have followed my lead, and added "almost never..."! ;)

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom