Join Early Retirement Today

"A Quiz For People Who Know Everything"
Old 07-12-2015, 12:09 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
"A Quiz For People Who Know Everything"

I only answered 2 correctly~ the American landmark Q and the Lakers Q. A lot tougher than it appears. Most here will be able to beat my sorry score.

Answers at the end.

(1) There's one "sport" in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends. What is it?

(2) What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward?

(3) Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons. All other vegetables must be replanted every year. What are the only two perennial vegetables?

(4) Name the only sport in which the ball is always in possession of the team on defense, and the offensive team can score without touching the ball?

(5) What fruit has its seeds on the outside?

(6) In many liquor stores, you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear inside the bottle. The pear is whole and ripe, and the bottle is genuine; it hasn't been cut in any way. How did the pear get inside the bottle?

(7) Only three words in standard English begin with the letters "dw." They are all common. Name two of them.

(8) There are fourteen punctuation marks in English grammar. Can you name half of them?

(9) Where are the lakes that are referred to in the "Los Angeles Lakers?"

(10) There are seven ways a baseball player can legally reach first base without getting a hit. Taking a base on balls-a walk-is one way. Name the other six.

(11) It's the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form but fresh. What is it?

(12) Name six or more things that you can wear on your feet that begin with the letter "S."

"Answers To Quiz"

1. Boxing.

2. Niagara Falls. The rim is worn down about two and a half feet each year because of the millions of gallons of water that rush over it every minute.

3. Asparagus and rhubarb.

4. Baseball.

5. Strawberry.

6. The pear grew inside the bottle. The bottles are placed over pear buds when they are small, and are wired in place on the tree. The bottle is left in place for the whole growing season. When the pears are ripe, they are snipped off at the stems.

7. Dwarf, dwell, and dwindle.

8. Period, comma, colon, semicolon, dash, hyphen, apostrophe, question mark, exclamation point, quotation marks, brackets, parenthesis, braces, and ellipses.

9. In Minnesota. The team was originally known as the Minneapolis Lakers and kept the name when they moved west.

10. Batter hit by a pitch; passed ball; catcher interference; catcher drops third strike; fielder's choice; and being designated as a pinch runner.

11. Lettuce.

12. Shoes, socks, sandals, sneakers, slippers, skis, snowshoes, stockings.
..Well, now you know! Feel any smarter?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2015, 12:27 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For the purposes of number 10 I believe "passed ball" and "catcher drops third strike" are the same thing.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:54 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I got 2, 5, 6, and 8. Could have had 7, and 11 if I spent some time mulling.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:03 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

2,3,5,6,7,8, and 12 (although one of mine for 12 was different from the answers...it didn't say you had to get those exact 6 items).

I guess I know nature and the English language, but my sports knowledge is basic, not arcane. I thought of "sailing" as the sport, because I have no idea how the leader is determined throughout the race. Sometimes the boat that is ahead is actually losing!
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:04 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I disagree with #1.... you can know 'the score' and also know who is winning... but like most sports you do not know who will eventually win...

#4 could also be cricket... (I think you can score without touching)
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:16 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

The only one I got right was 8. There were a couple that I got partially right like #7. I got 1 of the required 2 answers.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:23 PM   #7

I had 6 & 7.

Also, I think dweep is a pretty common "dw"-word these days
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 02:03 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Also, I think dweep is a pretty common "dw"-word these days
I had to Google "dweep." Don't forget, there's also dweeb.
ocdokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 02:11 PM   #9

I meant the dweeb variant

Derp
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 03:10 PM   #10

Got 2,3,4,5,8,9, and 12 and could probably have gotten 7 if I had thought about it long enough. Also agree with GrayHare that a 'passed ball' is a ball misplayed by the catcher on what would have been a third strike either swinging or called and thus are equivalent. I would be interested if a baseball expert can explain how these would be different in the circumstance being discussed. Great fun.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 04:18 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
I meant the dweeb variant

Derp
Oh. You mean you're not a gamer who likes to rescue cute, cuddly, defenseless purple baby Dweeps by negotiating a series of dangerous obstacles? (This I learned from Wikipedia.) Darn.
ocdokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 05:36 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
For the purposes of number 10 I believe "passed ball" and "catcher drops third strike" are the same thing.
Those are the same.

Correct final answer should be "error"
Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 05:56 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Since "sport" was in quotes, I figured they meant figure skating. The judges score at the end. It's in the Olympics, doesn't that count? Or the currently running Mackinac Sailing Race, the score is calculated based on some parameters of the boat and time, but computers now do it in near real time I think.

For #2, I was thinking Statue of Liberty, but she faces SE.

I've grown asparagus and rhubarb, I should of got those but all I could think of was parsley (herb, not a vegetable, but 'vegetation?).

Didn't get #4, but I think I would have if I thought about it longer.

Got 5,6,7,8 dwindle and dwarf, probably could have come up with dwell, heck, I've used a 'dwell meter'!

#9 should have said "which State", hey, I could just say "The US", or "Planet Earth" and been correct.

No way could I get all of #10. I got a few though (and I'm not a sports person).

Got 11 & 12 - needed snowshoes to complete my list.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:20 PM   #14

[QUOTE=mickeyd;1613469]I only answered 2 correctly~ the American landmark Q and the Lakers Q. A lot tougher than it appears. Most here will be able to beat my sorry score.

Answers at the end.

1. Boxing: (got it)

x2.Niagara Falls (missed it)

x3 perennial vegetables ( didn't have a clue)

4 Baseball (got it)

5 Strawberry (got it)

x(6) pear inside bottle (missed it)

7. Dwarf, dwindle (got it)

8. fourteen punctuation marks in English grammar (got it; eight and stopped)

9. Where are the lakes (got it)

10 ..seven ways a baseball player can legally reach first base without getting a hit. (got it)

(11) Lettuce fruit (got it)

x(12) letter "S." missed it, (only got four)

answered 8 correctly

Old 07-12-2015, 06:31 PM   #15

I got three of them (2, 8, 12) and gave myself half a point for knowing asparagus (3).

I would also submit that “dweeb” is a fairly common word and might have been included. That would have given me a total score of 4.5.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
They are both errors on the catcher yet are not the same thing (for those of you scoring at home).

I think there needs to be a runner on base for a passed ball to occur and then that runner needs to advance a base for it to be considered a passed ball.

For "catcher drops the third strike" there does not have to be a runner on base (no runner advances) and therefore it would not be considered a passed ball.

Fifty years ago, I would have known this cold--now not so sure.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:41 PM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

#4 could also be cricket... (I think you can score without touching)
Correct.

On the baseball question, what is it called when the pitcher throws wild and the hitter "steals" 1st base while the catcher is trying to retrieve the ball? (I think that is a legal way to get to to 1st without hitting the ball)
Old 07-12-2015, 06:48 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
They are both errors on the catcher yet are not the same thing (for those of you scoring at home).

I think there needs to be a runner on base for a passed ball to occur and then that runner needs to advance a base for it to be considered a passed ball.

For "catcher drops the third strike" there does not have to be a runner on base (no runner advances) and therefore it would not be considered a passed ball.

Fifty years ago, I would have known this cold--now not so sure.
The question is how is it scored on the official game sheet.... I do not think there is a category for catcher drops third strike and runner goes to first...

Now, I wonder what it is scored if it is a wild pitch and the batter swings at it for a third strike...

Time to look things up!!

Cannot find anything at MLB.... but the rule seems to be....

A pitch that should have been fielded by the catcher but was missed, allowing a runner to advance a base.

Which is what someone does on a dropped third strike... so, it does look like it is the same thing...
Old 07-12-2015, 06:57 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Wow... this is fun.... how about stealing first base from second base....

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...&fr=ymyy-t-999
Old 07-12-2015, 07:24 PM   #20

I'm pretty sure a dropped third strike is scored as E2. A batter cannot advance to first base on a passed ball. "Error" is the missing answer.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote