Join Early Retirement Today

Re: A rant for the presbyopic
Old 03-29-2006, 02:20 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
My eyes were perfect until the age of 54 when I began to need reading glasses. I started out with 1.0 and have grduated to 1.25. It took me 2 years before I began carrying glasses with me. I buy the cheap $1 glasses and they work fine for me. I haven't considered laser surgery yet since wearing reading glasses now is not a major inconvenience yet.
Like others have said, laser will not fix the 'reading glasses' syndrome... if you have perfect 20/20 eyesight in normal distant objects, there is nothing to fix...

Now, the next thing everybody will need to start thinking about is cataract surgery...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2006, 04:50 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Just like KB I had Lasik in order to see distance but need reading glasses for near sight. I wouldn't change a thing.

Hubby had Lasik but did the monovision thing. He doesn't need reading glasses but I notice he can't see anywhere near the distance I can. He wouldn't change it either, though.

We both love the fact that we can do outside sports without glasses anymore. (ATVing, canoeing, hiking, etc)

Old 03-29-2006, 09:31 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp
my father remarked bemusedly that he had hoped that somewhere between near-sightedness and far-sightedness that he would have a period of perfect vision, but that it hadn't worked out that way
I understand ... I've been very nearsighted since I was a kid; it was not a happy day when the eye doc told me* I'd also need bifocals....
Old 03-29-2006, 09:54 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I've always been very near sighted. Twenty years ago I took an elbow in the eye playing basketball and suffered a massive detached retina. It was reattached in a long operation and I now have a silicon band in that eye. I also had to spend a week on my back without moving. Unfortunately the cure causes a cataract which makes everything look like you are looking through vaseline and makes night time driving a real strain. Several years ago I had cataract surgery and with my new implant I see better than I have for many years. A curious side affect is that I can read the smallest print either with or without my glasses. Bottom line, there are worse things in life than needing reading glasses.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:45 AM   #25

I fell on a sharp stick when I was a kid, wiping out one optic nerve. So, I'm blind in one eye.

I can tell you that the inconveniences of glasses and prespyopia are much greater than the inconveniences of being blind in one eye.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:46 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
I fell on a sharp stick when I was a kid, wiping out one optic nerve. So, I'm blind in one eye.
Didn't know. Sorry for all the "well, it's better than a sharp stick in the eye" comments I may have made.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:56 AM   #27

LOL. Not a problem.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:41 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So I take it that my curiousity about whether the sharp stick in the eye thing is really bad has been ascertained?

(sorry al...)
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 05:37 PM   #29

There are things that are better than it.

If you want to be grossed out...

I was seven, was carrying a garden stake (long metal one with a loop at one end). Slipped and fell on the wrong end, and it went under the eye headed for the brain. Luckily it only hit one optic nerve.

Don't remember any pain. Went inside, phoned my mom who was up the street.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:17 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Yikes.

Thanks, guys, I knew it'd make me feel better to get this off my chest.

OK, it's been six hours since I swore that I was going to get started on the taxes. Here I go. Up & at em. Up, up, & away. Hup, two, three, four. I'm all over it.

Hunh, I bet I need a nap... Oooh, is that the mail I hear being delivered?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote