Join Early Retirement Today

A Riddle
Old 11-22-2007, 11:14 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Skype™ to imnxpat
A Riddle

November 22 is the 44th anniversary of President Kennedy's assassination. My wife says the correct date is November 23. It turns out that we're both right. How can that be?
imnxpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2007, 12:32 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Depends what time zone you were in. I was in Taiwan when it happened.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:13 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I heard a bit on the news when we changed our clocks back from daylight savings time. Apparently a woman was giving birth to twins during the clock change, so the second to be born was born after the clocks turned back so technically that child's birth records will show an earlier birth.

Mildly interesting, and a good story for the kis, but pointless.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 08:50 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When he was shot vs. when he died?
Old 11-23-2007, 11:49 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

You both can not be.... riddle solved..
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 12:54 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnxpat View Post
November 22 is the 44th anniversary of President Kennedy's assassination. My wife says the correct date is November 23. It turns out that we're both right. How can that be?
Easy. You're correct because it was on the 22nd. Your wife is correct because ones wife is never wrong.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 06:56 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
Depends what time zone you were in. I was in Taiwan when it happened.
The winner is bssc; My wife is from the Philippines where she was residing in November, 1963. Like Taiwan,the Philippines is on the other side of the international date line and is one day ahead of the U.S.

However, cute fuzzy bunny makes a valid point.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:37 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Now one could argue that the date of the assassination was the date the ME wrote on the death certificate, which isnt affected by the international date line.

But I wouldnt push it
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:13 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Doesn't matter.

What does is that it's getting old. Nearly 20 years ago I was out for lunch with somr co-w*rkers. Radio was playing and announcer said 'Everyone remembers what they were doing when they heard JFK was shot'. I asked the gal incredably talented young lady next to me what she was doing at the time. Answer: 'I was waiting to be born'.

I'm not trying to belittle what happened (it mattered a lot, even to us Canucks at the time) but a lot of people have been born since and can't understand why we remember.

Old age sucks has it's problems.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:39 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Interesting piece of info I came across courtesy of Google. A nice example of how memories and stories can become more and more 'inventive' over time.

"One of the best-known witnesses to the assassination, and the only one who is also the author of a book from the point of view of an eyewitness, was a woman named Jean Hill (Sloan and Hill 1992). She can be seen in the Zapruder film, standing beside a friend.

In her testimony, told and retold over the last forty years, she claimed among other things that she was looking at the limousine where she saw Kennedy and his wife, Jackie; the couple was "looking at a little dog between them," a "white fluffy dog." Hill then jumped to the edge of the street to yell, "Hey, we want to take your picture!" JFK turned over to look at her. At that point, he was shot, and Jackie shouted, "My God, he has been shot!" Then, Mrs. Hill said that she saw "some men in plain clothes shooting back" and "a man with a hat running toward the monument" on the other side of the plaza on the so-called "grassy knoll." immediately, she started running after him, thinking he was involved in the shooting. "When I ran across the street," she specified, "the first motorcycle that was right behind the President's car nearly hit me."

Thus, she was the first person to run up the grassy knoll, and many followed her. However, the man ran off and she missed him. She was convinced that this man was Jack Ruby, the club owner who, in three days, would kill Lee Harvey Oswald.

And there we have our proof for the existence of a conspiracy.

This, however, is one of those rare occasions in which dozens of reporters and photographers are present on the scene of an event and so there are countless statements on record from eyewitnesses and pictures from every angle. Thus, we can compare Jean Hill's memory with actual facts.

* She said that she was looking at the limousine.

In the film, you can see that when Kennedy is shot the first time, she is looking away from him.

* She said that the couple was "looking at a little dog between them," a "white fluffy dog."

There was no dog between them, just a bunch of red flowers.

* She said that she "jumped to the edge of the street" to yell, "Hey, we want to take your picture!" and JFK turned over to look at her.

The Zapruder film shows that Hill never moved or said a word--and the President did not turn to look over. In fact, he had just been shot when he passed in front of her.

* She said that Jackie shouted, "My God, he has been shot!" Jackie and the car's four other witnesses deny that Jackie said anything.

* She said that she saw "some men in plain clothes shooting back."

But in an interview recorded just forty minutes after the assassination by a Dallas television station, she was asked: "Did you see the person who fired the--" And she answered: "No ... I didn't see any person fire the weapon ... I only heard it."

* She said that she immediately started running after the "man with a hat," thinking he was involved in the shooting. "When I ran across the street," she specified, "the first motorcycle that was right behind the President's car nearly hit me."

But as can be seen in the many pictures taken during those fatal moments, she stands still at her place as the limousine and the motorbikes pass by. She even sits on the grass while all of the cars of the motorcade proceed behind the President's limousine.

* She also specified that after jumping into the middle of the road, she was the first person to run up the grassy knoll, and many followed her.

In photographs, you can see a lot of people running around the area and up to the grassy knoll, but Hill always stays in the same spot, probably shocked by the whole thing, like most of the people present.

* She was convinced that the man she had followed was Jack Ruby.

At that precise moment, Ruby was witnessed by many to be at the offices of the Dallas Morning News.

Now, as we can see, facts contradict many details of Jean Hill's dramatic testimony. Aside from excusable mistakes and errors made in good faith, we have here a story that, over the years, has changed and grown out of proportion, to the point that Mrs. Hill became a sort of celebrity, invited to every meeting of JFK buffs, and was even depicted in Oliver Stone's movie. She is the proud holder of a card bragging that she was the "closest witness" to the President at the time of the fatal shot to the head. It is quite clear what happens to some people when they find themselves right in the middle of history and have absolutely no role in it. They imagine one."
Old 11-23-2007, 08:45 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
I asked the gal incredably talented young lady next to me what she was doing at the time. Answer: 'I was waiting to be born'.
Hey, whaddya expect when you dine at Hooters?
Old 11-23-2007, 08:48 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Personally, I think Nixon did it. He was in Dallas, he had a motive and he was known as Dead-eye Dick for a reason.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:56 PM   #13

I'm reading this book "A Legacy of Ashes" based on recently declassifed CIA documents.

I just finished the end of Eisenhower and beginning of Kennedy. It seems that both administrations were trying to assassinate leaders in more places than just Cuba.

Given the level of activity I would not be surprised if someone decided to shoot back.

CNN had a former secret service agent on who is writing a book that claims that they broke up an earlier plot in Chicago about three weeks before Dallas. He said that the suspects shook survaillance and were on the lose on November 22. The book supposedly comes out in March.

BTW - once I got past the first few chapters the book is pretty interesting. It recently won some PBS award for non-fiction.
joesxm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 08:58 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Well, this is going better than and has a better possible outcome than the milk thread...
Old 11-24-2007, 06:06 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The winner is bssc; My wife is from the Philippines where she was residing in November, 1963. Like Taiwan,the Philippines is on the other side of the international date line and is one day ahead of the U.S.

However, cute fuzzy bunny makes a valid point.

As CFB said, the day of death is local..... when you remember it happening is where you are....

It was the 22nd... your right, she is wrong on the day of assassination, but correct on when she heard it...

As I said before, you both can not be right...

But then again.... CFB's other point is well taken...
Old 11-24-2007, 07:49 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My wife is from the Philippines where she was residing in November, 1963.
What, she remembers where she was when she heard that Kennedy was assassinated? That's unusual.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:42 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Was she drinking milk at the time? Did it taste funny?
Old 11-24-2007, 09:54 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Doesn't matter....a lot of people have been born since and can't understand why we remember.
they'll understand better when they talk to grown kids born after 911.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:07 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
As CFB said, the day of death is local..... when you remember it happening is where you are....

It was the 22nd... your right, she is wrong on the day of assassination, but correct on when she heard it...

As I said before, you both can not be right...

But then again.... CFB's other point is well taken...

But my wife and I are both right, Texas Proud. Please see my post about the international date line. If JFK was shot at around 12:00 noon central time in the U.S. on Nov 22 and died a few hours later, that means the time in the Philippines when he was wounded would have been about 2 a.m. Nov. 23 as Philippines time is about 14 hours ahead of Texas.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:00 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But my wife and I are both right, Texas Proud. Please see my post about the international date line. If JFK was shot at around 12:00 noon central time in the U.S. on Nov 22 and died a few hours later, that means the time in the Philippines when he was wounded would have been about 2 a.m. Nov. 23 as Philippines time is about 14 hours ahead of Texas.
I got what you said.... and it is still wrong.... death is 'local'... just because she was 14 hours ahead does not mean he died on the 23rd... he died on the 22nd in Texas... the rest of the world heard about it in their local time, but that has no bearing on 'when' he died...

Now... if you had said 'when did man land on the moon', you might have an argument on the exact 'time' it happened... but I think they use Houston time on that... or GMT time.. but not Philippine time.. (hmmm, makes me wonder).... well, after some research... even then there is a specific time that is used...

OK.... did some looking at 3 in the morning... what is UTC
Lunar landing:
July 20, 1969
20:17:40 UTC

UTC replaced Greenwich Mean Time on 1 January, 1972 as the basis for the main reference time scale or civil time in various regions..

Coordinated Universal Time - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia