A Rose By Any Other Name.....Dental Benefits

kaneohe

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This is from a recent PenFed mailing. Footnotes seem to emphasize that it
is NOT dental insurance. What's the difference between this and real insurance? You get presumably lower rates for certain procedures than w/o
the plan so I'm not seeing a fundamental difference in the end result.
Must be lacking comprehension.
Welcome Pentagon Federal Credit Union Members

It looks like a discount club only, for only those people who pay a fee (were those rates at the site a monthly fee?) to belong to the "club".
I am not a PenFed member, so I'm just guessing. My local credit union offers discounts for members at eyeglass vendors and fitness clubs.

By paying this fee, you are able to see a select group of dentists who are willing to treat you at a discounted fee schedule. I would be very careful before doing this. If possible, see the list of dentists in your area who have signed up to participate. You may be surprised that you have to go 50 or more miles to the closest provider. He/she may be a new dentist who is not busy and is trying to build a patient base or just someone who isn't busy. Again, I would be very careful about doing this.

I wonder if this is a financial deal with the participating dentists for them to charge the patient the same discounted price (or a little more) that they charge insured patients--the difference is the insurance co. would then also pay some of it if the patient is insured vs. the uninsured paying all of it (but at a cheaper price). Could be cost-saving.

Back
Top Bottom