Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've learned if I wash with an antibacterial soap, I don't develop the stink Agent Smith so disliked. That means no deodorant needed, no deodorant to gunk up clothes, and less cost.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
It has been linked to breast cancer and may be toxic to people with kidney disease. The National Cancer Institute has evaluated the evidence on breast cancer and concluded that the jury is out.

Antiperspirants/Deodorants and Breast Cancer - National Cancer Institute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I use it on my feet in the summer when I wear sandals a lot, so they don't sweat. I use ordinary stuff under my arms. Some medical person told me that the clinical stuff would work better on my feet, and so it would seem.
Well, I'm not an MD, so this shouldn't be considered medical advice, Sarah, but I would suggest that you don't allow your breasts and feet to come into physical contact with one another in the summer. I guess it would be OK during the other three seasons.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:07 PM   #43

This forum has a very high signal to noise ratio for learning about things I didn't know that I didn't know. Almost TMI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
Sounds like marketing hype, "new and improved". Paying twice as much for half the product.

Apply antiperspirant at night
Quote:
No, I use the ordinary stuff under my arms. Only do the fancy $$ on my feet in the summer when I don't wear socks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Ah, I think anti-perspirants contain aluminum (or something). ...
In the college days some of us who were allergic pronounced Mitchum without the "M".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easypick View Post
According to this article, some people don't stink and still use deodorant.

http://blog.chron.com/sciguy/2013/01/if-your-underarms-didnt-stink-would-you-still-wear-deodorant/
Old 01-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #44

I have no special insights on the potential for antiperspirant or deodorant to cause cancer. However, I did take a course in epidemiology. My guess is that after hundreds of millions (probably billions) of people have used (and misused) these chemicals (probably) trillions of times, a CLEAR "association" between them and cancer should be in evidence IF they potentially cause cancer. Even if there IS an "association" between them that does not prove causation. The literature is full of examples where associations were not properly controlled for other factors (Remember the old joke about cohort groups being broken down by age and sex). The point being that if the risk were significant, we would probably know by now after 40+ years of use among so large a cohort. Still, I wouldn't suggest eating the stuff. Of course, if you're really into that sort of thing (nod, nod, wink, wink) maybe it's worth it, but YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post

Well, I'm not an MD, so this shouldn't be considered medical advice, Sarah, but I would suggest that you don't allow your breasts and feet to come into physical contact with one another in the summer. I guess it would be OK during the other three seasons.
I'm not quite sure are about the boob to foot correlation--is that like hoof and mouth disease?
But I like the way you think!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:44 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34

I don't either.

It helps cut down on the number of people I have to interact with.

Seriously, I stopped using it 20-some years ago. I think I just ran out and forgot to buy a replacement because it was winter and didn't need it anyway.

And according to this article many people don't need it.
I may or may not need it but I will wear it everyday. Why? Outside of maybe a persons spouse, nobody will tell you that you stink(I mean "you" generically, not Walt) be rest assured they tell everyone else how bad your odor is while telling you there is no problem. Why did I not include GF or BF? Well call me shallow, but if I went on a date and noticed a "natural scent", I wouldn't tell her, I would just not call her again! And yes, I would probably be one of those types who did tell all my friends about the "ordeal"
Old 01-18-2013, 09:55 PM   #47

Quote:
I'm not quite sure are about the boob to foot correlation--is that like hoof and mouth disease?
But I like the way you think!
Well, it has to do with breast cancer and deodorant (which may cause breast cancer). I was concerned because you put deodorant on your hooves feet in the summer. So, I thought as a health measure that maybe your breasts should stay away from your feet in the summer. Now, I understand that this might become more difficult as age sets in, but I'm certain that others on this board will have creative solutions for this potential problem.
Stay well...