Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-02-2011, 11:13 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
After my husband died I was cleaning out a drawer and there was a love letter from him to me that I never saw before . Plus there were times when I felt he was in the house . Before these things happened I would never believed in these things happening .
Something similar happened to me. My husband died of a massive first heart attack so there is no way he could have planned anything.

I moved six months after his death, and as I was unpacking a box of books, I came upon a book I had never seen before (some friends had done most of the packing up for me). It was called "Make the Connection" by Bob Greene and Oprah Winfrey. I saw a sheet of paper stuck in the book and when I unfolded it, I saw my husband's familiar terrible handwriting. He had jotted down thoughts from the book, numbering them as he went. Stuff like "make each day a little better, try not to make things worse", and "live in the moment! don't always say tomorrow or next week", and "try to find a few moments of happiness and joy in each day", and "be good to yourself" and "take responsibility for yourself, don't blame others for events in your life". I know he wrote these things for himself, but in away, finding them seemed to me like these were thoughts that he wanted to pass along to me at a very difficult time. I get choked up just recounting this.

The other thing that happened was that the night before he died, I heard him get up and go to the bathroom. The house was very quiet and I heard him say very distinctly "Oh, there you are.". He came back to bed and went to sleep. In the morning as he was shaving, I walked in with a cup of coffee for him and I said "I heard you talking to yourself in the bathroom last night and you said 'Oh, there you are', what was that all about?" He looked a little bewildered and replied, "I saw someone standing in a corner and I thought it was you". I told him he better quit with the late night salami sandwiches.

I am not a believer in New Age or psychic stuff but the bathroom incident has really stuck with me, in a good way. Possibly when it is our time, someone we know comes for us. It is a very comforting thought to me, but I hope I don't see any familiar long dead faces in the middle of the night anytime soon. Maybe in thirty years.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2011, 12:02 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I suppose it might go down to does one believe in an existence (a soul, energy, self, spirit) that survives the physical in this world. Furthermore, if one does, than can it influence physical objects in this word?
I am drawn to what Bulwer Lytton proposes in his classic ghost story "The Haunters and the Haunted": nothing survives death, but apparitions are produced always through the medium of the living.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:06 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

My grade school teacher told me to take the bus home with my cousins one day. As we were wildly running around on the bus, just before it got to my cousin's house, I suddenly and with certainty knew that my mother was dead. She in fact had died that day. For several years I felt that this was a premonition. However, I agree with Kahn that our minds play amazing tricks on us. If I consider the circumstances the feeling I had was not surprising at all. My mother was in the hospital having had a heart attack a few days before. I am sure my teacher unintentionally telegraphed to me that something was really wrong. Plus, it was highly irregular to go home with my cousins. No wonder I felt that my mother had died. Now if my mother had not died I probably would have forgot about the premonition. Memories are fluid and faulty. And sometimes comforting.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

These sorts of things happen all the time, but they are only seen as significant or coincidental if we experience them close in time to an especially meaningful event such as the death of a loved one.

Humans are pattern-seeking, story-telling creatures who are predisposed to look for meaning and explanations for the natural events we experience. That's pretty much it, IMHO.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:28 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
These sorts of things happen all the time, but they are only seen as significant or coincidental if we experience them close in time to an especially meaningful event such as the death of a loved one.

Humans are pattern-seeking, story-telling creatures who are predisposed to look for meaning and explanations for the natural events we experience. That's pretty much it, IMHO.
I was just thinking about this when Fedex just stopped by with a box from Amazon. It was empty. If something bad happened today I could see the ease of ascribing meaning to the empty box.

Instead, I did a chat with Amazon and said they sent me my box and not my order.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:48 PM   #26

On a separate but related note, I just read 2 books by Dr. Raymond Moody Jr., "Life After Life" and "Reflections on Life After Life".

Dr. Moody is a medical doctor who started noticing certain similarities in the accounts mentioned by near death patients. That prompted him to do an in-depth study of people's NDE (near death experiences), even cataloging those things which seemed to occur most frequently. He even devoted quite a few pages to arguments against NDEs.

Fascinating stuff.

omni
Old 04-02-2011, 05:05 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I had a completely weird, unusual, unexplainable thing happen to me. But no one I knew had died recently, so I completely forgot about it. That's why I can't remember what it was. It was very weird, though.

I've realized that unexplainable things happen to me frequently. Here's one: I was working on my bike, and I dropped a nut and a bolt from my hands. This was an area of the garage that was very clean. I found the nut, but the bolt, which was pretty big, was nowhere to be found. I searched everywhere on the floor, and could not find it. I thought about my uncle, who had been a mechanic, and liked to play practical jokes, then I found that the bolt had caught on the brake, and didn't fall all the way to the floor.

Recently, when Lena was in Sweden, I was home alone, reading a scary book. All of a sudden the television came on at full volume. I jumped a foot off the floor. No, wait, this has an explanation. If the Tivo is set to the main menu for a long period, it switches back to "watch live TV."

Our power went off three times in a row, for a few seconds each time, a several weekends ago.

The electric knife sharpener didn't work the other day. It's worked fine for 12 years. I took it apart, and looked for a problem and didn't find anything. I didn't do anything to it. I put it together again, and then it worked perfectly! Weird.

I got home yesterday from a bike ride, and entered the code on the garage door, and it didn't open. I did it four times, and nothing. This opener has always worked, and I've used it hundreds of times. I looked in the window and saw that the power was on, and I tried it again, and: It Worked!

The other day when leaving the house, I had a strong premonition that we were going to have a car accident. We didn't have one, and I remembered that I almost always have that premonition when going out. Even more so when going on a long trip. But someday it will be correct.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:26 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
...Plus there were times when I felt he was in the house . Before these things happened I would never believed in these things happening .
After my husband passed, the morning of his memorial service was very emotionally intense for me. I wasn't getting much sleep, and in a semi-awake state, I felt him kiss my lips while I was still in bed. I saw and heard nothing, just felt his kiss on my lips. To give you some perspective of the suddenness of his passing, he had chest pains and 6 hours later, was gone from an undetected dissecting aortic aneurism. I was with him every second, even in the ambulance. There was nothing left unsaid or not done.

Did I imagine that kiss? Hell no.

After that, I had this strong sense of his presence in the house and outside in the yard. Nothing audible or visual, but the type of thing that made me turn around and look. It was oddly comforting.
My doctor and grief counselor assured me that I wasn't losing my mind this was very common for people who were as tightly bonded as we were.
The feelings of his presence lasted for approx 6 months. It may have been strong memories and familiar settings triggering the feelings...who knows ?
The last dream I had of him was him standing a distance away from me in a wooded area. After that, the sense of his presence went away. In an odd way, I missed that.

It has been almost 7 years, and writing down these things today still brings me comfort. He is still in my heart, and always will be.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:30 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I stayed with a quite elderly woman for a while who had mild dementia. About a week before she died I overheard her talking to deceased family members. When I came around the corner she initially denied it, but later confided that they were there to prepare her. Some say physical breakdowns in the mind bring old memories to the surface as reality. The visitors returned to her moments after I was out of sight based on her renewed hushed conversation.

I knew something was strange one day at college during finals. Turned out the grandfather I was closest to had died then but no one told me till finals were over days later lest it adversely affect me.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:12 PM   #30

Two friends of ours died Dec 26. The first at 01:15, she was a 53 year old physician. The second at 01:35, he was an 82 year old patient of friend one.

Coincidence? Damn right. You bet.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:23 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

My Sister who is a nun was in mass when her prayer book fell open to the passage " Someone you love is dying " . My Dad died shortly after .
Old 04-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
After my husband passed, the morning of his memorial service was very emotionally intense for me. I wasn't getting much sleep, and in a semi-awake state, I felt him kiss my lips while I was still in bed. I saw and heard nothing, just felt his kiss on my lips. To give you some perspective of the suddenness of his passing, he had chest pains and 6 hours later, was gone from an undetected dissecting aortic aneurism. I was with him every second, even in the ambulance. There was nothing left unsaid or not done.

Did I imagine that kiss? Hell no.

After that, I had this strong sense of his presence in the house and outside in the yard. Nothing audible or visual, but the type of thing that made me turn around and look. It was oddly comforting.
My doctor and grief counselor assured me that I wasn't losing my mind this was very common for people who were as tightly bonded as we were.
The feelings of his presence lasted for approx 6 months. It may have been strong memories and familiar settings triggering the feelings...who knows ?
The last dream I had of him was him standing a distance away from me in a wooded area. After that, the sense of his presence went away. In an odd way, I missed that.

It has been almost 7 years, and writing down these things today still brings me comfort. He is still in my heart, and always will be.
This is beautiful freebird.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:51 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes. Three times. Once when my grandmother passed away and twice when my father died. I won't go into the details - but they events were very real (to me). I have never felt the need to convince others. People who have experienced similar events know they are real. Not likely to convince many people who haven't experienced it.

Were the experiences a result of my brain seeing/experiencing something that wasn't really there? Maybe. But I dont think so. I do believe we are some form of energy and that it takes time for that energy to "dissipate" or go wherever it is we are supposed to go.

Frankly, when I read the OP, though, I expected more "are you crazy?" responses. Interesting to hear that others have had some odd experiences also.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:56 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I don't see dead people.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:37 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM View Post
Yes. Three times. Once when my grandmother passed away and twice when my father died. I won't go into the details - but they events were very real (to me). I have never felt the need to convince others. People who have experienced similar events know they are real. Not likely to convince many people who haven't experienced it.

Were the experiences a result of my brain seeing/experiencing something that wasn't really there? Maybe. But I dont think so. I do believe we are some form of energy and that it takes time for that energy to "dissipate" or go wherever it is we are supposed to go.

Frankly, when I read the OP, though, I expected more "are you crazy?" responses. Interesting to hear that others have had some odd experiences also.
When I posted, I wasn't sure what to expect as to what others experienced or how many also had experiences.

I know it may just be wishful thinking on my part, but I'd like to believe that we exist for more than just our very very brief time on earth. Or that there is a reason why I a brother, a son, etc. to this person rather than just by chance. If there is a soul that escapes the body at death, the energy would have to go somewhere. Usually, energy just doesn't disappear.

Update about the lights on/off incident. Seems that others in my friend's family also experienced outages. Some said their power was out for a few hours. So perhaps this was related to what happend that I witnessed? But they were from a different town. The son of the person who passed away said his lights also turned on/off. His wife said her TV undexpected turned off by itself, then when it turned back on and the volumed turned on louder. Who really knows if it's just the mind trying to comfort oneself, pure coincidence or more.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:16 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I don't see dead people.
But you probably could if you wanted to.

I'll say right up front that I'm not a 'believer' in this kind of stuff. But I did have a very eerie, odd feeling once that convinced me that I would have attributed it to something if I were predisposed to think that way.

When I was moving into this house, I was stressed out over a number of things. My mind wandered and I recall wondering if anyone had died in this house. Later, I felt a chill and felt something I never felt before. But there was nothing to it. But I'm sure I could have assigned something to it.

I've got a stereo that is 'possessed' - it has woken us up at 3Am a couple times, and switched channels and modes randomly (it may take months). I finally found a loose connection and it's been OK for a year now. Someone from the after-life, or just an oxide film? The engineer in me says oxides.

My brother was also telling stories once about an old farmhouse he was renting out. Seems several tenants reported odd things. Just listening to the stories made me start to hear things. We are very open to the power of suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I know it may just be wishful thinking on my part, but I'd like to believe ...
A crucial first step, IMO.

Quote:
If there is a soul that escapes the body at death, the energy would have to go somewhere. Usually, energy just doesn't disappear.
I'm always flummoxed at this talk of 'energy', and the need for it to 'go somewhere'. Why would something spiritual need 'energy'? What 'energy' are we talking about? Can I read it with a meter? Can we harness it and reduce our dependence on oil/coal? If it can't be measured, why does it have to go somewhere? When my furnace shuts off, the energy goes somewhere, but that doesn't cause the lights to flicker in another town. Why not?

I honestly think that power of suggestion, our wants/needs to make some sense of the world, our wants/needs to find patterns and assign causes, and our dealing with grief are all the explanations we need for these things.

I wonder why the stereo didn't act up around the time that some people close to me passed on? Or why their 'energy' didn't fix it - that would have been nice.

-ERD50
Old 04-02-2011, 09:38 PM   #37

The subject of afterlife, ghosts, aliens, etc. is a topic I refuse to be "all in" or "all out" on...too many well-adjusted friends have had experiences that defy logic. (Curious to hear those stories on our next visit to your neck of the woods Ha!) I have experienced enough weird personal experiences without explanations, that I honestly do not know...and that is ok with me!
Old 04-02-2011, 11:15 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Just being around my former wife made a believer out of me. She has kept journals for years, and too many times something big happened to family or a friend and she searched a journal and there it was, strikingly similar or identical, from a dream or strong waking experience earlier. Also, once she called me at work and said to check my brakes before I came home. It was an old Chevy truck with a single fluid resevoir for the brake and clutch, and it was dry and had been leaking. She knew nothing about mechanics, but she might have saved my life that day.

Another thing is that people with these sort of gifts often can recognize one another. Once years ago we were camping in Huatabampo Bay in Sonora. An old man appeared in our camp and introduced himself as a brujo. He looked at my wife, and immediately recognized her similarity and started discussing the occult from a Mexican wizard's POV. What a great time that was!

When she was very young and we were first married she became a poltergeist if something was making her angry or frustrated. Her brother came for a very long visit which turned into he and I playing in the surf, fishing, and coming home and expecting to be fed. One afternoon we were sitting of the couch waiting for dinner and the knives and forks started flying off the table. Another time we were staying with friend in the Bay Area and the woman of the couple was always walking around naked. One day she opened the refrigerator and a bottle of wine came out and flew across the room and smashed itself on the concrete floor completely across the table from the fridge. Her BF and I were sitting at the table, we just looked at one another and smiled. Women are difficult enough without having to worry about their being brujas.

Ha
Old 04-02-2011, 11:34 PM   #39

I'm a great believer in these signs.

For example, the night my FIL died. He was in Australia, I was in the California. I went to bed, suddenly I woke up in the middle of the night. For some reason I was compelled to gt up and check what time it was. Once I knew the exact time I went back to bed and fell asleep.

Next morning I woke up and I had a text on my phone from SIL telling me FIL had died at the time of his passing. The time of his passing was the exact time I had woken. My phone was switched off so that had not woken me.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:57 AM   #40

Regarding my previous post, about the notes my husband left on a sheet of paper stuck in a book, he never wrote notes on separate sheets of paper like this. Except this one time, probably done when the book came out (1996 copyright, he died in 2003). His usual practice was to highlight passages in marker or underline them in ink and write notes in the margins. I did not find any other separate notes in his other books. I would have pitched this book if I had not noticed the paper protruding ever so slightly.

Also, he never talked in his sleep. Not ever, in all the years I knew him. He did not see people who were not there or hear voices or anything like that. Nor do I (thank goodness!)