Join Early Retirement Today

A sign? Way or No Way?
Old 04-01-2011, 07:52 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A sign? Way or No Way?

I attended a wake for my friend's brother today. Do you believe in strange/odd things happening shortly after someone's death?

Last night (while I was asleep, around 3 am) my friend was on the computer. She swears she saw her glass of ice tea rise up and make a quarter turn all by itself before resting back down on the table. I tried to be understanding, didn't deny what she saw, but did ask maybe she dreamed it?

So, just a short time ago, the power in her place (I did experience this), went totally off/ then back on about 3 times in a row. That never happened before...The circuit breakers didn't trip, just power out/on.

When my brother's MIL passed years ago, she told him and his then wife that when she goes she'll give a sign with the lights...Of course, when she died, the lights at their place when on/off a few times too.

Coincidence..or something more?

Anyone else have these or other odd happenings shortly after someone's passing?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
No.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:04 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

After my sister passed, two strange things happened. We were all sitting outside around a campfire way out in the country (think dirt roads). A car drove past (unusual, especially since it was a remote area and like 2 a.m.), and stopped several hundred feet down the road. Next thing we hear is the car's speakers playing "You Are My Sunshine" extremely loud. My niece then freaked out b/c her mom (my sister) used to sing that song to her all the time when she was little.

Also, a week or so later I was walking along with DH and his friend on a golf course. I suddenly had the feeling that my sister was with me or watching over me. I mentioned it, and DH's friend stopped in his tracks and said "Wow, this is the exact same spot on the golf course where we were when you called to tell DH about your sister's passing."

Of course, both could be just very unusual, strange coincidences. Either way, the incidents were comforting. Who knows.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

When my mom passed several years ago. I was over at a brothers' house. My mom loved her grandkids (like all grandmas, I suppose). Anyhow, at my brother's house a lot of her smaller grandkids (those learning to crawl and barely walking) were there. So as we are talking, my SIL goes to us, "Did any of you place the comforter at the bottom of the steps?" None of us remembered doing that. We thought, maybe it's a sign, or a way of my mom to make sure none of the grandkids got hurt falling down the steps. Who knows?
Old 04-01-2011, 08:21 PM   #5
Administrator

I think that there are a lot of occurrences that have yet to be explained by any scientific inquiry. Which doesn't mean that they never will be, but really there is much that we do not know yet, or even have the slightest clue about at this time. Were I in your position, I would not rule out any comforting possibility.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:27 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

After deaths of my Dad, Mom and brother each time I've had dreams that they talked to me from beyond. I guess this is a common occurance. Whether that is just a way of those left behind comforting ourselves or a real event of communication from beyond is left for debate.

The OP was about real concrete instances (such as the lights, or like Simple Girl mentioned, the song from the car), yet the dreams offer comfort too.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:42 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

After my husband died I was cleaning out a drawer and there was a love letter from him to me that I never saw before . Plus there were times when I felt he was in the house . Before these things happened I would never believed in these things happening .
Old 04-01-2011, 08:49 PM   #8

One morning when I was home from college and doing a summer job at the local dairy, I got this 'oh no' feeling in my heart followed by a sadness that something was wrong with my grandpa. Since they lived just a few miles from us, I decided to go check on him at lunch, stopping at home to make a sandwich. When I got home, my brother told me that grandpa had passed. I asked when, and it was just about the same time that those strange feelings had hit me. To make this more interesting, grandpa died the day after the conclusion of a family reunion held in honor of him and grandma, at our farm, and with every single one of his kids, grandkids, and great grandkids in attendance. This was in the summer of '83. Grandma passed 6 months later.

R
Old 04-01-2011, 09:22 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Our brains supply us with all sorts of crap memories.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:51 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Our brains supply us with all sorts of crap memories.

but they are comforting memories !
Old 04-01-2011, 10:24 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
One morning when I was home from college and doing a summer job at the local dairy, I got this 'oh no' feeling in my heart followed by a sadness that something was wrong with my grandpa...

R
I think these generally fall in the category of selective memory. If you had that feeling, and the next day nothing happened, you forget about it. Or hear a song on the radio, and a connection is made - yet that song has been played many other times. etc, etc.

In the same way, I never notice a certain model of car on the road until I think about buying one. Then all the sudden, I see them (notice them that is) all over. So are we to believe those cars didn't exist until I noticed them? Or I learn a new word, then I suddenly seem to see it pop up here and there.

Now, losing a loved one is much more emotional and has far deeper ties than one model of car over another or a vocabulary lesson - so we amplify these things and they seem so much more 'real' to us.

-ERD50
Old 04-01-2011, 11:26 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I have about 20 pictures of family members hanging on the wall above my desk. Shortly after my grandmother passed, one of my cats climbed on the desk and sat right in front of my grandmother's picture. She looked straight at the picture and started howling. The whole scene lasted a few minutes. It was just bizarre.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:08 AM   #13

One of our friends from college died suddenly, much too early, he was only 35. I went to his funeral with a few other friends. It was held out of town so we drove together. We had just left the cemetery after the burial and the car radio kept cutting out. It would play and then go quiet and then come back on. This happened a few times. The driver said he'd never had trouble with the radio before. One of the people in the car was an ex-longtime GF of the man who had died and she just giggled, saying that it's him doing that to the radio.

What's so funny is that we were all atheists, including the man who had died. You'd think that we would have been much too cynical to have this mean anything but really it was quite comforting. It's likely that the radio was unrelated to our friend's death but it's nice to leave it open as a possibility.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:39 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I have had these sort of experiences, and I would like to share them with many members, but they are too important to expose to some other people.

Ha
Old 04-02-2011, 02:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Do you believe in strange/odd things happening shortly after someone's death?
Yes.

The funniest of those was after my mother's father died. My dad and one of my uncles were laying out the body in the bedroom and while my Dad was kneeling by the side of the bed adjusting something when Grandad's hand slipped off the chest and hit him on the back of the head. "Did you do that on purpose, you old bugger?" he said. (Dad was great friends with his FIL). At that point one of the chains holding the bedroom light fixture snapped, so Uncle Jim said, "Was that you as well?". A second chain snapped and they both ran from the room.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:12 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I suppose it might go down to does one believe in an existence (a soul, energy, self, spirit) that survives the physical in this world. Furthermore, if one does, than can it influence physical objects in this word?

The alternative is believing that once one goes, that person goes to nothing.

In that situation about the lights turning on/off which I witnessed. If I was to bet my FIRE savings, I'd say the event was purely coincidence. Yet at the same time, I have to admit that what happened was a bit odd. The circuit breaker didn't trip. There wasn't a storm. The lights turning off/on hasn't happened again since then. They didn't flicker. It was more of turned off, pause for a couple of seconds, turn back on...three times in succession
Old 04-02-2011, 07:23 AM   #17
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Anyone else have these or other odd happenings shortly after someone's passing?
Nope...

Of course, I also don't believe in an afterlife. Maybe in both instances, we are "living our expectations".
Old 04-02-2011, 08:04 AM   #18

The day my Mother passed (I was 25 at the time) I had been nervous and worried about her all day. When the phone rang I knew before picking it up that it would be my Dad asking me to come home.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:28 AM   #19

I've had several "occurrences" of these things after both my Mom and Dad passed...particularly with my Mom. Almost too numerous to detail all of them.
The night she passed, I received a phone call from the person sitting with her at 2:00 a.m. My mom who had wanted to die in her home had changed her mind and wanted to go to the hospital. I call her doctor as I was in charge of her care. There was so much snow and ice none of the ambulances from the hospitals were running. The local first responders were...and 2 hours later...she made it to the ER. My sister...who had a vehicle that would make it in the snow and ice...and who lives near me...would not wait for me to get the call back from the doctor and left me behind as she went to be with my mom at the home (family dynamics are not the best). Had we not been able to get my mom to the ER ..I would not have been able to be there with her. The hospital is less than 2 miles from my home. Roads to my parents house were virtually impassable for my vehicle. She passed away about 2 hours after getting to the ER and I was able to get there. But the strange thing..is that the sitter who called me..insisted she had dialed my sisters number and not mine and insisted it was "divine intervention".
The night before this and early in the morning when we thought she was going to pass away that night, I got a call from my dad. We all made it to the family home. As the sun was coming up...all the birds ...in the general area...came looking thru the glass walls of the sun room...with all the snow on the ground. It was like they converged on it. We were all a bit awe struck. The birds seem to visit me at my house for a long time afterward....which was odd...since there are 3 outdoor cats.
After she passed and for many weeks...I felt "something" pressing on my bed...down by my feet. Just 2 or 3 pushes...pushing down on the mattress. I came to look forward to these pushes (I know...sounds strange huh?). Equally strange...when I told my Dad that Mom was visiting me....it stopped.
As we sat in the church during my Dads service...as soon as the Minister said his name, the lights above him....flickered...almost as if they twinkled..
Old 04-02-2011, 10:50 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Has a similar experience. My first wife and I were very close to her grandmother. We were away in Florida on vacation and I suddenly felt a sense of pleasant inner warmth. She asked me if I was thinking of her grandmother. I said that I was and she said she was, as well. When we got back we found that her grandmother had died just about the time we sensed her presence.

Another time, first wife was at work and one of our small pets had a kind of fit and was dying. She called to ask what was wrong. She never called from work, so it was very unusual.