A simple way to double your money

Would you divorce your spouse to double your money?

• Yes

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • No

Votes: 60 83.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.6%

• Total voters

redduck

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I heard this question asked on Sports Talk Radio:

"Instead of losing half your money, you could double your money if you divorced your spouse, would you do it? "

OK, no finessing the question: it's a true divorce-- a complete parting of the ways; no getting back together, no interaction except at funerals, weddings and graduations.

Maybe a yes/no poll would be helpful, so if someone wants to establish one, how difficult could it be?

"way difficult for you, redduck."
"that's what I thought."

No. I promised my FIL and MIL on their death beds that I'd take care of DW.

If you can put a dollar value on your spouse you should already be divorced.

My first spouse cost me all of what little money she let us keep. My second wife, well, together we built a jackpot. She's priceless in many ways and I'd never give her up for any amount of money.

Enjoying life!

"Instead of losing half your money, you could double your money if you divorced your spouse, would you do it? "

OK, no finessing the question: it's a true divorce-- a complete parting of the ways; no getting back together, no interaction except at funerals, weddings and graduations.

Maybe a yes/no poll would be helpful, so if someone wants to establish one, how difficult could it be?

"that's what I thought."

I'm 0 for 1 and not willing to try hitting another fast ball into the grandstands. Besides, DW's children have guns and know how to use them. ;)

My Uncle always used to say, "My ex-wife made me a millionaire. I used to have two million, now I only have one"

My Uncle always used to say, "My ex-wife made me a millionaire. I used to have two million, now I only have one"
His wife had a poor lawyer. Why should he be left with money when she obviously is entitled to all of it?

"that's what I thought."

I added a yes/no poll, with a third choice of "other" for those who simply can't bring themselves to limit their answer to a simple yes or no.

Then I voted "other", because I am not married so I have no spouse. :D

No. We have enough money and after 37 years together, we are looking forward to spending some quality time rather than having to carve time out of our jobs to see much of each other. Been deferring the gratification of our retirement time together for far too long.

His wife had a poor lawyer. Why should he be left with money when she obviously is entitled to all of it?

BTW, this poll reminds me of one that was on here near the time that I first came to the board. The question was would you cheat on your spouse if you were guaranteed to get away with it? There were separate polls for men and for women. For both genders, the yes rate was equal, about 25%. I can't remember if people also commented, like "who is giving the guarantee"?

Ha

Last edited:
It would make me less happy.

The older I get, the less compelled I am to follow the rules. (poor sentence structure, I know). Anyway, I'd get a divorce, and we'd just live together. What are they going to do, shoot us? And who is "they" anyway? Guess I'm just feeling contrary today.

Being able to time the market would be an especially good ability to possess since for every dollar you have you would receive another dollar when you divorced your spouse. Dumping your spouse when the market is low might hurt the spouses' feelings. I recall feeling awful when my wife divorced me on a minor intraday market dip.

But, if I had been dumped at a market high, I'm sure I would have understood and maybe even my self-esteem would have been boosted.

"Was that too much information?"
"Probably."

No. What for? We have enough money, although some would want more it works for us.

BTW, this poll reminds me of one that was on here near the time that I first came to the board. The question was would you cheat on your spouse if you were guaranteed to get away with it? There were separate polls for men and for women. For both genders, the yes rate was equal, about 25%. I can't remember if people also commented, like "who is giving the guarantee"?

Ha

Ashley Madison :facepalm::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

The older I get, the less compelled I am to follow the rules. (poor sentence structure, I know). Anyway, I'd get a divorce, and we'd just live together. What are they going to do, shoot us? And who is "they" anyway? Guess I'm just feeling contrary today.

This was my immediate reaction too.

Doubling my money could never add that much more happiness compared to the satisfaction that my wife adds to my life. ;)

I knew a couple who got divorced for tax purposes, was kept a fairly good secret as they continued living together as before for another 20 or so years. Their kids found out about the deal after they passed away. There were some IRS issues to be resolved, the kids were not amused.:mad:

I voted "Other".

Redduck talks about a simple way to double one's money. I heed the advice of Will Rogers, whose method is safe, very simple, and super fast too.

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” -- Will Rogers

Not me. Having too much fun being married that is not related to money. Plus, these "simple ways" always end up invoking The Law of Unintended Consequences. :)

"Instead of losing half your money..."

I hate this misconception so much. You are not losing half your money! That presumes that 1 person owns ALL the money, and the other is entitled to $0. Unless you are paying lawyers half of your money, then you are each getting what you are entitled to - half of the joint money (simplified obviously here - I know it's not 50/50 in all situations).

Being part of a couple doesn't magically double your money.

Rant over.

To answer the question, umm, no way in a good marriage. Though if it's a bad marriage, then leaving is important regardless of financial income.

Nope. My DW brings infinite happiness into my life. I always figured I was a pretty lucky guy, but after reading the attached post from the 'butwaitwhy' blog, I especially felt like I had (have) won the race. Sure, $$$ makes life pretty good, but my DW makes my life great. She's been out of town for a couple of days and while I thought I would enjoy my alone time, I was wrong...I am ready for her to come home.

Here's the blog post about picking a life partner...it's a pretty good read.

How to Pick Your Life Partner - Part 1 - Wait But Why

I cam from a family that never believed in, never even considered divorce. Maybe murder a few times.

Money wouldn't be worth much without my QT.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom