Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Would you divorce your spouse to double your money?
Yes 8 11.11%
No 60 83.33%
Other 4 5.56%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

A simple way to double your money
Old 06-30-2016, 11:40 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A simple way to double your money

I heard this question asked on Sports Talk Radio:

"Instead of losing half your money, you could double your money if you divorced your spouse, would you do it? "

OK, no finessing the question: it's a true divorce-- a complete parting of the ways; no getting back together, no interaction except at funerals, weddings and graduations.

Maybe a yes/no poll would be helpful, so if someone wants to establish one, how difficult could it be?

"way difficult for you, redduck."
"that's what I thought."
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2016, 11:46 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No. I promised my FIL and MIL on their death beds that I'd take care of DW.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:03 PM   #3

If you can put a dollar value on your spouse you should already be divorced.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:09 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

My first spouse cost me all of what little money she let us keep. My second wife, well, together we built a jackpot. She's priceless in many ways and I'd never give her up for any amount of money.

Enjoying life!
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:17 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
I heard this question asked on Sports Talk Radio:

"Instead of losing half your money, you could double your money if you divorced your spouse, would you do it? "

OK, no finessing the question: it's a true divorce-- a complete parting of the ways; no getting back together, no interaction except at funerals, weddings and graduations.

Maybe a yes/no poll would be helpful, so if someone wants to establish one, how difficult could it be?

"that's what I thought."
I'm 0 for 1 and not willing to try hitting another fast ball into the grandstands. Besides, DW's children have guns and know how to use them.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:30 PM   #6

My Uncle always used to say, "My ex-wife made me a millionaire. I used to have two million, now I only have one"
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:42 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
My Uncle always used to say, "My ex-wife made me a millionaire. I used to have two million, now I only have one"
His wife had a poor lawyer. Why should he be left with money when she obviously is entitled to all of it?
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:45 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post

"that's what I thought."
I added a yes/no poll, with a third choice of "other" for those who simply can't bring themselves to limit their answer to a simple yes or no.

Then I voted "other", because I am not married so I have no spouse.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:42 PM   #9

No. We have enough money and after 37 years together, we are looking forward to spending some quality time rather than having to carve time out of our jobs to see much of each other. Been deferring the gratification of our retirement time together for far too long.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:43 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
His wife had a poor lawyer. Why should he be left with money when she obviously is entitled to all of it?

BTW, this poll reminds me of one that was on here near the time that I first came to the board. The question was would you cheat on your spouse if you were guaranteed to get away with it? There were separate polls for men and for women. For both genders, the yes rate was equal, about 25%. I can't remember if people also commented, like "who is giving the guarantee"?

Ha
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:50 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

It would make me less happy.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:52 PM   #12

The older I get, the less compelled I am to follow the rules. (poor sentence structure, I know). Anyway, I'd get a divorce, and we'd just live together. What are they going to do, shoot us? And who is "they" anyway? Guess I'm just feeling contrary today.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:09 PM   #13

Being able to time the market would be an especially good ability to possess since for every dollar you have you would receive another dollar when you divorced your spouse. Dumping your spouse when the market is low might hurt the spouses' feelings. I recall feeling awful when my wife divorced me on a minor intraday market dip.

But, if I had been dumped at a market high, I'm sure I would have understood and maybe even my self-esteem would have been boosted.

"Was that too much information?"
"Probably."
Old 06-30-2016, 04:35 PM   #14

No. What for? We have enough money, although some would want more it works for us.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:06 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

BTW, this poll reminds me of one that was on here near the time that I first came to the board. The question was would you cheat on your spouse if you were guaranteed to get away with it? There were separate polls for men and for women. For both genders, the yes rate was equal, about 25%. I can't remember if people also commented, like "who is giving the guarantee"?

Ha
Ashley Madison :laug h:
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 05:57 AM   #16

Nope !
Old 07-01-2016, 06:44 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
The older I get, the less compelled I am to follow the rules. (poor sentence structure, I know). Anyway, I'd get a divorce, and we'd just live together. What are they going to do, shoot us? And who is "they" anyway? Guess I'm just feeling contrary today.
This was my immediate reaction too.
Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:27 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Doubling my money could never add that much more happiness compared to the satisfaction that my wife adds to my life.
kneehigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:16 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I knew a couple who got divorced for tax purposes, was kept a fairly good secret as they continued living together as before for another 20 or so years. Their kids found out about the deal after they passed away. There were some IRS issues to be resolved, the kids were not amused.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:52 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I voted "Other".

Redduck talks about a simple way to double one's money. I heed the advice of Will Rogers, whose method is safe, very simple, and super fast too.

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” -- Will Rogers

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote