Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

A slap in the face
Old 05-07-2019, 03:15 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

A slap in the face

What would you do if a stranger (m or f) walked up to you in the street, screamed at you, slap your face, and then march off. And you have no idea who this person is?
This is strictly hypothetical mind you. I recently passed a stranger in the mall that had the biggest ##@$-eating scowl on her face. I never got within 6 feet of her, but she looked pissed, at me! That got me thinking, what if she came toward me, started screaming at me, strike me, or both. What, would, I, do? I would like to believe I would call the police immediately and try to gather witnesses of this persons weird behavior. But I am really not sure what I would do.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2019, 03:18 PM   #2

Probably that person has some serious mental issues. You did right by keeping a distance.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:18 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Walk away or run quickly in the opposite direction!
Old 05-07-2019, 03:22 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I'd flash my 9 and say "what u lookin at?" No really......opposite direction would be the correct answer. Now a slap in the face? That would depend on my mood.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:31 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
What would you do if a stranger (m or f) walked up to you in the street, screamed at you, slap your face, and then march off. And you have no idea who this person is?
This is strictly hypothetical mind you. I recently passed a stranger in the mall that had the biggest ##@$-eating scowl on her face. I never got within 6 feet of her, but she looked pissed, at me! That got me thinking, what if she came toward me, started screaming at me, strike me, or both. What, would, I, do? I would like to believe I would call the police immediately and try to gather witnesses of this persons weird behavior. But I am really not sure what I would do.
I'd walk away and find mall security, and report it to them. Then I'd go home, (making sure that the crazy person wasn't following me, of course!).
Old 05-07-2019, 04:09 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Break it off as previously stated and do not engage. Yes, you'd have to report it. Because either A) A crime was committed and there might be more to follow. Not likely you're the only one to get that treatment. Even if it was something "funny" like a college initiation dare.

OR

B) They are a little off their rocker, either organically or by chemical intrusion, making them perhaps even more dangerous and in need of immediate help/restraint.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:26 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Lots of nutbags running around of late. I'd call the police before they hurt someone worse than a slap.

Our town has a growing homeless population and a few of them are quite dangerous. Recently one of them attacked an innocent tourist with a brick and he almost killed the lady. Turned out that he had been hassling people all day. Had someone called the cops earlier maybe it wouldn't have happened.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:30 PM   #8
gone traveling

Not long ago walking up to someone and punching them was an urban "thing to do." Don't recall the catchy phrase assigned to the act.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:35 PM   #9

I'd stop dating her
Old 05-07-2019, 07:46 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongleur View Post
Not long ago walking up to someone and punching them was an urban "thing to do." Don't recall the catchy phrase assigned to the act.
The "knockout game". A dear friend died of complications due to being a victim of the knockout game, on Canal Street here in New Orleans.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:46 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Bongleur, was that called the “knock out game”?
Old 05-07-2019, 08:06 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
I'd stop dating her
Nice one.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:00 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I had something sort of similar happen. I was driving on the expressway with light traffic. I was driving about 10 mph over the speed limit and signaled to move into the center lane from the left lane. A car came screaming up on me from behind and then slammed on the brakes to be next to me, in the right lane. She caught my eye them whipped the wheel to broadside me. I swerved and hit the brakes and just barely avoided contact. She then rocketed away. I have no idea who she was or what problem she had.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:09 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
What would you do if someone came up to you and asked another hypothetical question ?

Don't people have enough problems or projects, that we don't need to invent some.

This is the second thread with hypothetical stuff.

I'm going back to WestWorld...
Old 05-07-2019, 10:24 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Best to split and call the cops. Hopefully they care and follow up.

My metro area has a mushrooming homeless population, many of whom seem to be pretty unstable. Lots of panhandling, petty crime, erratic behavior. Mostly I try to avoid it.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 05-07-2019, 10:26 PM   #16

I had a somewhat similar experience as well. I was driving along in my suburban neighborhood when this car pulls up behind me and starts signaling me to pull over. Being a naive teenager, I was happy to oblige.

I pulled over and got out of my car. The other car pulls to the curb in front of me, 2 guys jump out with baseball bats and start running towards me.

I suspect it was a case of mistaken identity, but I didn't stick around to help them sort out their confusion. Before they could get to me, I was back in my car and making a hasty departure.

This was the days of the big V8 engines and I used every ounce of horsepower that car had to put as much distance between me and those fellows as possible.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:05 AM   #17

? Why would you make direct eye contact except for a moment with a stranger ? . Lots of people out there with issues and eye contact is an aggressive act. ( just look at wild animals, and we are not that much removed ).

" People are dumb, dangerous , panicky animals" ( favorite quote from the movie " Men in Black" ) and it's true.

If you want a long look at a stranger, use peripheral vision. Same goes for driving. Good way to avoid road rage from another driver. AVOID DIRECT EYE CONTACT !.

15 years as a municipal gov. hack with heavy public contact in a mega city , I experienced just about every type of human behavior . Learned things that can trigger people that are stressed or mentally ill.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:00 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
What would you do if someone came up to you and asked another hypothetical question ?

Don't people have enough problems or projects, that we don't need to invent some.

This is the second thread with hypothetical stuff.

I'm going back to WestWorld...
+1
A slap in the face
Old 05-08-2019, 04:43 AM   #19

A slap in the face

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
The "knockout game". A dear friend died of complications due to being a victim of the knockout game, on Canal Street here in New Orleans.
Sorry for your loss. Random, senseless, unexplainable violence is always a fear. That “game” was going on in Philly I remember thinking.

First: Some old fashioned justice might be in order. it wouldn’t happen by my hand but if some other person(s) did it well “I saw nothing”.

Second: What kind of person does this kind of thing? There are occasionally gangs of youths that roam the city capable of incredible violence. They happen on the unlucky and are robbed and or beaten.

Lastly: A bit of sadness.
————————————
Yesterday DS “Cool Hand” and I after spending a couple hours power washing the deck. We then drove over to the local rivers fishing hole. Sadly: It’s also the local swimming hole. Well its as beautiful a drive as can be - there’s a covered wood bridge to boot. We were talking and I was along slowly in no particular hurry. We came up on two “thickly built” sunglass wearing “Gents” walking along the side of the road. I passed them and the younger, and smaller of the 2, albeit close to 20 flipped me the “double bird” (two hands, single center finger extended).

Did i stop? No. Respond with some phrases of my own? No. Get crazy? No. Why? Because I have too much too lose. I’ll wager that ‘gentleman’ has little to lose. It’s like entering a hand of poker when you are the only one with all the money. Pointless. It was a beautiful sunny day - Cool Hand and I laughed - two losers. Well too much rain had the river too muddy - Cool Hand did manage to pull a little smallmouth bass out of the water. It wasn’t long before we drove home in no particular hurry.

Violence begets violence and there is way too much of that..

Answer take her picture with my phone and call the police, file a complaint.

Interesting post.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:46 AM   #20

Whether it’s road rage or just rage, it always seems safer to make oneself as invisible as possible. We’re mostly oblivious to one another anyway. Best that the aggressive types don’t even notice you as a target, but see you as wallpaper.
Closed Thread