In December of 2004 I informed my boss I was thinking about retiring the end of April. Said I would give formal notice once I got closer to exit time. Within days of that conversation, a sale of our parent company was announced, and what were formerly worthless stock options were to be worth almost one year's salary once the sale was completed. (Must be living right!
The sale was to take place in February, but problems with regulatory approval in the EU delayed the closing two weeks, then another two weeks. Now the sale is scheduled to take place the first of April. Still four weeks from my retirement date, but getting a little close for comfort since if I leave before the sale is closed I forfiet all options and end up with zip. So today I go to see the boss to say I'm planning on delaying giving formal notice until the sale is final and my options pay off.
Before I can bring up the subject I'm asked if my May 1 retirement date is firm. Fearing the worst, I ask why. The response was "Would you consider delaying your retirement until the end of June if we agree to pay you through July?" (Vision-impaired swine locating tree seeds.
) I said I would think it over and get back to him.
As fortunate as all this is, it does have a down side. After looking forward to retiring for years, this is a bit like running a marathon and just before reaching the finish line being asked if I would mind if the race was lengthened a few hundred yards. (I use the term "all these years" because I am 58. Thus the small "e" in "eR".)
I'm considering offering a compromise. I will agree to work through the end of May (4 additional weeks) for 6 weeks of pay. This should allow time for the completion of the sale and option payout. I do not want to work past that date as we booked a cruise the first week of June to celebrate my retirement. The thought of returning to work the day after that cruise is beyond depressing. :P
Wish me luck.