Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-19-2018, 06:35 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretah View Post
Great article. Thanks for posting the link, OP.

I plan to move into a CCRC later, which will address many concerns.

I like that as I move to assisted living or nursing unit, I won't lose my friends. They will still live in building or on campus.
Even in a CCRC I am concerned about having a health advocate and other people who look out for me. I don’t feel that I can depend entirely on the CCRC.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2018, 09:33 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Gee, I would hope that by the advanced ages we are talking about, this would no longer be an issue. Also if people are still coupled-up, they probably don't have the same loneliness issues as being discussed.

I have never fit in well with all-women groups. However, I've always fit in well with mixed sexes, as long as there is some common interest. Something about men and women in a group together, seems to tone down the more tedious aspects of either sex.

Sadly I think it is an issue with the elderly, especially because as time passes, there are way more women than men. In my dad’s assisted living facility, two women were kicked out because they were fighting over him constantly.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:35 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Even in a CCRC I am concerned about having a health advocate and other people who look out for me. I don’t fell that I can depend entirely on the CCRC.

You are right about having an advocate. The residents who have someone visiting frequently and watching how their loved one is being treated get more attention.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:49 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have never fit in well with all-women groups. However, I've always fit in well with mixed sexes, as long as there is some common interest. Something about men and women in a group together, seems to tone down the more tedious aspects of either sex.
I think you're right. The genders seem to buffer the more negative traits that come out when it's all one gender or the other. I guess the desire to not look like complete fools to the opposite sex is a strong force in our lives.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:23 AM   #25
Gone but not forgotten

With some experience in a CCRC, (even though we live in a separate "Villa".

Living in a group residence doesn't necessarily mean automatic socialization. Of course eating meals together necessitates human contact, but it is not uncommon to have loners. Our CCRC does have a very active program to bring people together...planned events, as encouraging card games, dominoes, and bingo's that go on every day of the week.
A well organized calendar for shopping, concerts, gaming boats, and classes for cell phones and computers. Hymn sings, health lectures and exercise routines and cookouts.

This does not just happen. Before making a decision for yourself or a loved one, all of this is just as important as nice buildings, comfortable living areas and good physical care.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:50 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the link to this article. I have no kids but I always thought that at least I would grow old with my wife. Well, she decided to go her separate way and now I wonder about navigating old age alone. Granted, I am only 44, I may meet another SO and I am still green enough to have kids. But I realize now that assuming that someone else (spouse, kids, relatives, etc...) will take care of me in old age is foolish. Spouses can leave, die, or become incapacitated themselves. Kids can move away and they have their own life to live. Relatives may not want to take on the responsibility of caring for a senior. The old multigenerational family system is dead, so I am going to plan as if I will be solo in old age.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:09 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I have never fit in well with all-women groups.
That's too bad because sometimes the topics my Monday women's coffee group discuss, and end up laughing hysterically about, would probably embarrass or perhaps horrify men. Political discussion abounds, though, which some might find tedious. I imagine not all coffee groups are like mine, though.
PawPrint53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:39 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Sadly I think it is an issue with the elderly, especially because as time passes, there are way more women than men. In my dad’s assisted living facility, two women were kicked out because they were fighting over him constantly.

I wonder if the “fighting” will change in the next decade or so. I’m just thinking about how women have changed and are still changing now. I think that because women are not as dependent on men as they were in my grandmother’s and mother’s time, that more women will possibly become less dependent on having a man in their old age.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:17 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

My observations (anecdotal, naturally) have been that old ladies are pretty much the same people they were as girls in high school.

If they were kind, considerate girls, they'll still be just as nice.

If they domineered over the other girls, they'll domineer over other old women (and there are always some who are willing to be domineered over).

If they were science-fiction-reading loners then, they'll be science-fiction-reading loners now.

And if they were the sort who squabbled over boys, I imagine they'll still squabble over old men, even without the hormonal imperative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
I wonder if the “fighting” will change in the next decade or so. I’m just thinking about how women have changed and are still changing now. I think that because women are not as dependent on men as they were in my grandmother’s and mother’s time, that more women will possibly become less dependent on having a man in their old age.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:08 PM   #30

Quote:
My observations (anecdotal, naturally) have been that old ladies are pretty much the same people they were as girls in high school.

If they were kind, considerate girls, they'll still be just as nice.

If they domineered over the other girls, they'll domineer over other old women (and there are always some who are willing to be domineered over).

If they were science-fiction-reading loners then, they'll be science-fiction-reading loners now.

And if they were the sort who squabbled over boys, I imagine they'll still squabble over old men, even without the hormonal imperative.

That’s an interesting observation. You might be on to something there.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote