Join Early Retirement Today

A solution to 'divisive issues' Politics
Old 06-15-2006, 11:48 AM   #1

A solution to 'divisive issues' Politics

I was listening to a radio program today, and the guest had a great solution for the 'divisive issues' in politics today.

The Congress has been debating the following issues lately, that most experts agree are not the major problems facing this country. While the deficiets keep piling up.

1.) Flag Burning
2.) Gay Marriage
3.) Illegal immigration
4.) Abortion

The reason that these topics are being brought forth is to 'energize' the base of the party to get them to turn out the vote for the upcoming elections.

His solution is mandatory voting with a small fine if you don't. He claimed that this is done is Australia, and the speaker thought that the fine was around $25. He claimed that Austraila had about a 96% voter turnout. It also prevents a small minority from running the country.

This sounds like a great idea. Maybe not an end-all solution, but certainly a step in the right direction. It's the only idea I've heard of that would bring about real change.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: A solution to 'divisive issues' Politics
Old 06-15-2006, 11:59 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've heard of countries like that and thought it was a good idea at first. I started to think about it. The only way for the gov't to know whether you voted would be for someone/something to review your completed ballot. You think the wire taps started a hugh debate? That one would get real ugly real fast. Not to mention there would be a lot of people who would vote without knowing anything about the issues and just making pretty patterns on the ballot. I'd prefer a minority to vote knowing hte issues than a majority not knowing anything about the issues.

Old 06-15-2006, 12:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire
I've heard of countries like that and thought it was a good idea at first. I started to think about it. The only way for the gov't to know whether you voted would be for someone/something to review your completed ballot.
Eh? I have to show my voter card/ID and sign a booklet indicating that I am who I am. Why would anyone need to look at my completed ballot?
Old 06-15-2006, 12:43 PM   #4

Quote:
I've heard of countries like that and thought it was a good idea at first. I started to think about it. The only way for the gov't to know whether you voted would be for someone/something to review your completed ballot. You think the wire taps started a hugh debate? That one would get real ugly real fast. Not to mention there would be a lot of people who would vote without knowing anything about the issues and just making pretty patterns on the ballot. I'd prefer a minority to vote knowing hte issues than a majority not knowing anything about the issues.
Showing up at the polls would be mandatory. Not casting a ballot for an office would be optional. So no ballots would need to be reviewed. It would force Politicans to start talking about things that the middle cares about, rather than the extreme at either end of the party.

Most of the people voting today today don't understand the issues anyway. That's why Congress is currently talking about nonsense! It's already ugly and we need a change!

Old 06-15-2006, 01:19 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
His solution is mandatory voting with a small fine if you don't.* He claimed that this is done is Australia, and the speaker thought that the fine was around $25.
Isn't that called a "poll tax"?

I bet all the absentee-ballot voters abroad (and afloat or submerged) are a little nervous about this proposal.

But you gotta love it-- a capitalist solution to a democracy problem. Is this a great country or what?!?

I'm not looking for a job, but I wonder what the market is for counterfeit voting receipts...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 01:24 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Isn't that called a "poll tax"?
I thought a poll tax was a fee you pay TO vote, not a fine for violating a law (which is what the fine for not voting sounds like to me; I could be wrong).
Old 06-15-2006, 01:31 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I got a better idea. You give everyone $20 to vote. Put your ballot in the machine, out spits 20 bucks.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 01:40 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
I got a better idea. You give everyone $20 to vote. Put your ballot in the machine, out spits 20 bucks.
Don't we already have a supersized version of this? Big $ campaign contributions for Representatives and Senators to vote? Yeah, they have to vote a certain way, but...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 01:44 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Great idea, but don't you think the left would complain that this benefits the wealthiest americans because they are the ones most likely to vote?
Old 06-15-2006, 01:50 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk_to_dawn
Great idea, but don't you think the left would complain that this benefits the wealthiest americans because they are the ones most likely to vote?
Not if there is $20 bucks in it for you.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 01:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by eridanus
Eh? I have to show my voter card/ID and sign a booklet indicating that I am who I am. Why would anyone need to look at my completed ballot?
Because otherwise how would anybody know if you voted.* Just because you showed up doesn't mean you voted.* I like Martha's idea.* Heck I'll even vote twice if they let me.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:10 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Heck I'll even vote twice if they let me.
You could get rich in Chicago.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:11 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Put your ballot in the machine, out spits 20 bucks.
ATMs appear to have 95% of the necessary design already present.

Better look up that patent application, Martha...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 02:24 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by califdreamer
Yep, was just thinking that myself as I read the thread. We have a "pay for your vote" system here in Chicago already and it has been working effectively for years.* My dad worked for the city and the whole family spent countless hours "getting out the vote" to ensure his continued employment and that services were delivered to our neighborhood.* It didn't take $20 to buy a vote back then, only a pack of cigarettes given as a gratuity for doing your civic duty!
Old 06-15-2006, 03:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by califdreamer
Especially recently deceased folks.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:55 PM   #16

not sure how i feel about fines. but i saw something else on tv that mentioned giving a lottery ticket to everyone who showed up to vote. seems a little cheezy but i think it would catch on and it's not as threatening.

the fine thing would work but is it sort of counter-democratic? sort of like going over to another country and forcing them to be a democracy.

be free or be fined.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 04:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
not sure how i feel about fines. but i saw something else on tv that mentioned giving a lottery ticket to everyone who showed up to vote. seems a little cheezy but i think it would catch on and it's not as threatening.

the fine thing would work but is it sort of counter-democratic? sort of like going over to another country and forcing them to be a democracy.

be free or be fined.
The next time you get called for Jury Duty, tell them that you live in a democracy and this jury duty thing is a little counter-democratic, so you're not going to show up!

Freedom isn't free.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:14 PM   #18

ouch. point taken. but i still like the cheezy lottery idea better.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 04:28 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

This is easy.

Everyone step outside the country. You can vote on your way back in.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 05:45 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
This sounds like a great idea. Maybe not an end-all solution, but certainly a step in the right direction. It's the only idea I've heard of that would bring about real change.
Sounds like a horrible idea to me. The fewer voters the better. I will always vote, and I figure people like me with a stake will also always vote. Who cares if crack-heads, schizophrenics and people with IQ of 75 donít vote?

Ha