Join Early Retirement Today

A Special Day..
Old 05-26-2019, 03:44 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A Special Day..

1) DD and her BF rented a U-Haul and moved much of her stuff into her new home. The Mrs will help paint one last room this week. The final move out is at hand -Alleluia!
2) As i write this Cool hand is at work at his summer job.

I love my kids but as kids get older at some point they need to live their own lives. There have been stressful discussions between her and I. At 64 I think theres a huge generation gap with a 23 year old.

Am I wrong to rejoice at this time? my good wife is happy to paint, shop and provide all manner of help to the daughter. The RayinPenn hotel provides a hot dinner every night, clean sheets and leftovers for a fussy eater for lunch.

I think she will miss the hotel.

rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2019, 03:57 PM   #2

No you aren’t wrong. I had my kids younger than you. I didn’t have any empty nest syndrome when they left. Time for you guys to enjoy the next chapter of your lives.

Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 04:08 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree....part of growing up is moving out. I see too many families with “failure to launch” syndrome. But some parents don’t really WANT their kids to “grow up”....

I missed my kids when they moved out, but I also loved the quiet. And the clean house. But most of all, I thoroughly enjoyed explaining to my son (after a week of him stopping by to grab something for lunch) that the “grocery fairy” wasn’t just going to show up at his apartment. He’d better figure out how to get to the grocery store pretty soon.
KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:28 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

You’ve done your job as a parent - launched your child to adulthood. Off and out to the world - congrats! I missed mine when they did move along but knew this was what I supposed to do. OOTH I still see too many families with their late twenty something - early thirty something living at home, no jobs or part time jobs, mooching, failure to launch kids ...
nhcycling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:40 AM   #5

No. Your job is to prepare them for an independent life on their own. So tick that box.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 05:54 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

They are people... able to learn a trade, have a career, etc.

They are not house pets that sleep on the couch all day.

Anxiously counting the days when my cherubs head off to college. If they return post college it will be to a smaller home and bedroom turned into office or maybe billiards room