Join Early Retirement Today

A Thank-you And a Request
Old 06-19-2017, 06:52 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A Thank-you And a Request

First, thank to all for a very interesting forum.

I just spend a little time reading a recently-closed thread, and I have to say it was thought-provoking and respectful, especially when compared with similar topics at some other forums (or is that fora?) I belong to.

While reading this particular thread, two very different positions were being presented in such a way that I found myself agreeing with both.

This ability to hear and understand divergent viewpoints is, in my opinion, what's lacking in today's political environment. That's something I think we can all agree on.

We have a very unique thing here. Intelligent, thoughtful and respectful communication across a wide spectrum of opinion.

I wonder if we could create a "way-off-topic" area where the rules could be relaxed just a little. Keep the civil tone, but allow controversial topics.

Just a suggestion. Thanks again to the moderators, posters and all who make this possible!

CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2017, 06:58 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I wonder if we could create a "way-off-topic" area where the rules could be relaxed just a little. Keep the civil tone, but allow controversial topics.
Been there, done that, failed miserably.

Read The History of Early-Retirement.org, especially "The Soapbox Experiment."

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:07 AM   #3

I belong to another very-specific-subject chat group, and it has a "Pit" forum that pretty much allows for anything short of demeaning language. Once in a while politics is brought up in that forum, and it always gets heated. More importantly, it detracts from the very important purpose of this particular chat group.
Let's keep E-R the way it is, please.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
.... More importantly, it detracts from the very important purpose of this particular chat group.
Let's keep E-R the way it is, please.
+1
Plenty of other places on the net for "open" discusssions with little moderation.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:08 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've switched from feeling like the OP to liking the kumbaya of this forum.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:46 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I totally agree with OP. However, I do not think it would be successful on any forum. At the end of the day everyone has their own "strong" views on topics like politics, religion and cars We like to think we can convert people to our way of thinking and we always enjoy seeing replies from people that agree with us, but discussing these topics will eventually digress into unproductive and even hateful replies. The monitors do a good job in policing this and it must be hard to know when to pull-the-plug on a thread because they also have their own views on these topics and have the power to stop the discussion. I do not always agree when a thread is "ended", but that is probably because the discussion was leaning to my way of thinking What are the odds this tread will eventually get ended given the topic?
bradaz2488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:55 AM   #7

I live in Portlandia. I live, breath and deal with controversial topics all day every day. Definitely don't want to see it here and love it when a topic goes off kilter that it is either directed back to original topic or killed.

Just my opinion
Old 06-19-2017, 08:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
First, thank to all for a very interesting forum.

I just spend a little time reading a recently-closed thread, and I have to say it was thought-provoking and respectful, especially when compared with similar topics at some other forums (or is that fora?) I belong to.

While reading this particular thread, two very different positions were being presented in such a way that I found myself agreeing with both.

This ability to hear and understand divergent viewpoints is, in my opinion, what's lacking in today's political environment. That's something I think we can all agree on.

We have a very unique thing here. Intelligent, thoughtful and respectful communication across a wide spectrum of opinion.

Just a suggestion. Thanks again to the moderators, posters and all who make this possible!
Not with me around. I fly off the hand at the drop of a hat.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:44 AM   #9

Agree with others here. Plenty of other places to get wound up in smash-mouth diatribe.
I enjoy, the thoughtful, intelligent, helpful, and polite dialogue that occurs here. If the ER forums became more contentious and "edgy," I'd probably meander far away, peek in rarely, and leave promptly.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:27 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Here is another "no thanks" vote.

The moderators here do a superb job and there is no reason to add to their workload. Expecting some people to 'keep a civil tone' may be beyond their intellectual capability, so there is a high probability that there would be an impact on the mods time and energy. Plus, the entertainment factor seems pretty low to me.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:09 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Even at double their present exorbitant salaries, I don't think the mods would be willing to associate themselves with such a forum.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:02 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Here is another "no thanks" vote.

The moderators here do a superb job and there is no reason to add to their workload. Expecting some people to 'keep a civil tone' may be beyond their intellectual capability, so there is a high probability that there would be an impact on the mods time and energy. Plus, the entertainment factor seems pretty low to me.
It seems to me that it is mostly a few people who cannot control themselves and ruin it for the rest of us. In some cases I think it is even deliberate where they do not like a certain topic discussed and want to sabotage it to close the thread. And they always get in the last word. So maybe a "way off topic" area to include a "three strikes - you're out" would work out. But I agree that the moderators would be impacted.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:22 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I vote No.

There is enough political discussion elsewhere. If it were here as well, I might become disillusioned that some forum members that I think of as "nice people" are, well, not.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:50 PM   #14

Thanks for posting the link to the ER.org history! I had not read that before. I've been coming here a few years and, to date, have not had experience with food on animal's heads or the "Jennifer" story (whatever that was!)

Count me among those who are glad this forum has no "Soap Box"-type thread. Many of us found it a sea of sanity and respect in this contentious election year. Plus, nearly all such sites start to take a partisan turn and soon get labelled "right," "left," "libertarian," etc. As a person who despises such labels (as I rarely fit into one), it is lovely to have a forum that doesn't identify any such way.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:56 PM   #15

As a moderator I respectfully say "this is a very bad idea".

As others have mentioned - there are other forums if you want to discuss controversial stuff. This forum has members from all over the world, pretty much every religion, gender identity, and political slant... The forum works because we keep those things out of it.

FWIW - the moderator team is also diverse, international, and from all political walks of life.

If you feel a burning desire to discuss politics, religion, etc... please do so elsewhere. Lets leave this site a place for intelligent (and sometimes not so intelligent) discussion of retirement issues, what to do in retirement, investing ideas, etc...
Old 06-19-2017, 03:36 PM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Even at double their present exorbitant salaries, I don't think the mods would be willing to associate themselves with such a forum.
Double salary? No way.

Now, if they were to throw in some stock options, I'd have to think about it.

<thinking>

Still no.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:22 PM   #17

I agree with all the "no" feedback, for all the reasons others have stated. Thank you to the moderators!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:49 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bir48die View Post
I live in Portlandia. I live, breath and deal with controversial topics all day every day. Definitely don't want to see it here and love it when a topic goes off kilter that it is either directed back to original topic or killed.

Just my opinion
+1
Old 06-20-2017, 10:28 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I agree with the No Side. Social Media has been ruined by it already. The number of places I go everyday is small enough already. Nice historical perspective too.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:48 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

This place is a safe haven for many folks. We could chat about things like normal folk.

MRG is offline   Reply With Quote