Join Early Retirement Today

Re: A Typical ER Day
Old 10-20-2005, 06:32 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

So I come home from work yesterday and dinner was made, work shirts were ironed and put away, yard work was completed, DH took a long walk. DH said he never sat down to read his book and that he was just too busy. Good first day at home! Today, DH was off to HD and Barnes and Noble and possibly Circuit City. No complaints, just a bit envious and ecstatic dress shirts do not have to be ironed.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2005, 08:56 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger
So I come home from work yesterday and dinner was made, work shirts were* ironed and put away, yard work was completed, DH took a long walk.* DH said he never sat down to read his book and that he was just too busy.* * Good first day at home!* Today, DH was off to HD and Barnes and Noble and possibly Circuit City.* *No complaints, just a bit envious and ecstatic dress shirts do not have to be ironed.
I still send my dress shirts out, just like when I was working. However,
I only have about 3 done per year. I don't think we even own an iron
and anyway neither of us could do them to suit me.

JG

Old 10-21-2005, 10:25 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger
So I come home from work yesterday and dinner was made, work shirts were* ironed and put away, yard work was completed, DH took a long walk.* DH said he never sat down to read his book and that he was just too busy.* * Good first day at home!*
Good first day at home for you anyway. Looks like DH is working his tail off trying to slow down. After a while he will calm down enough to not try to be so busy. Some people just have a hard time slowing down from a hectic work schedule. I will give him several weeks before he starts to really relax and makes more time to relax instead of Go Go Go.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:20 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Just being able to get up when you want...without that annoying alarm going off! The sound of a fresh pot of coffee brewing to start the day. The morning sun rising on the horizon, the dew settling over the fields and amongst the trees. The smell of the fresh morning air, the aroma of fresh cup of coffee, sipping rather than slugging it down. Holding the cup with two hands, sitting back, contemplating the new day.

The day is an open slate.

The freedom to do (or not to do) whatever you want is the biggest joy so far. Enjoying the mornings, the noon day sun and the evening sunsets. Listening to the cars zoom past in a hurry to go somewhere or do something and return home.

Driving in the slow lane. No time schedules. No hurry. No worry. Ahhhhhhh. Getting all the "to do list" completed early so the rest of the day is free. Stopping at the bakery to get a fresh loaf of bread, the market to get "just a few things". Chatting with a neighbor whom I've never seen in 5 years.

The wonderful feeling of accomplishment in being in control of your own life. Setting your own goals and completing them in your own time. Very rewarding stuff.

What shall we do for dinner? Eat in, Go out? Have a picnic, bbq, whatever. A bottle of wine and two big goblets. More in the cupboard just in case. No more worries...

Take time for a long walk, afterwards. Look passers-by directly in the eye and smile (they are in such a hurry to get their routine done, too...whether it be the evening jog or walking the dog obligation). And just smile inside...and say thank you, thank you, thank you.

Maybe someday it will get old. But for right now...hey, it's all we've got. Live for the moment. And ENJOY!

The rat race is over.

Old 10-22-2005, 12:57 PM   #25

That sounds wonderful ACG. I can't wait until I get there!

Dreamer
Old 10-22-2005, 07:03 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I love acg's post!!* DH took a package/retired 10/14/05 and while it doesn't quite feel that good (with 3 teenagers in the house!) we're getting there.* At the moment we're in the early stages and it still feels weird.* Hopefully we'll get used to it soon....

Thanks so much to this board for everyone's sage advice.

jj