Join Early Retirement Today

A Useful Tool for Slackers
Old 08-23-2011, 08:04 AM   #1
Administrator

A Useful Tool for Slackers

Here's something handy for those still working, completely bored but also afraid the boss will walk in unannounced while you are on facebook.

Quote:
Web site HardlyWork.in lets you check your Facebook Newsfeed at work without the worry of prying eyes with a clever interface that poses as an Excel spreadsheet. Just go to the site and give it access to your Facebook account, it populates a pedestrian-looking spreadsheet with your Facebook newsfeed. No eye-catching logos, sound effects, or chat windows will mar your appearance of diligent productivity. You will be able to browse your photo albums, so be careful as pictures can be eye-catching to that work busybody that always seems to be walking by your cubicle.

You can hover your mouse over comments and Likes, which give you more information and thumbnail previews when you do. You can even activate a "Bosskey" (the space bar) that acts as an emergency kill switch and will kick you immediately into a more real-looking spreadsheet should you need to look like you're doing legitimate work in a hurry.
This also has potential for those married types with spouses that think all they do is waste time on the computer.

Here's a link to the product. HardlyWork.in
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2011, 08:07 AM   #2
gone traveling

What's a facebook?

Guess I'm not a "slacker" (whatever that is)...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Just go to the site and give it access to your Facebook account, it populates a pedestrian-looking spreadsheet
I hope no one seriously thinks their corporate IT department doesn't know about things like this. Talk about a false sense of security!
Old 08-23-2011, 08:54 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I love this--very funny! I have dual monitors and about 8 things open at a time, so I can switch between valuable company-related activities and slacker related websites like this one!

And I think most days I AM the corporate IT dept!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:29 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A young contractor that once worked for me would quickly move his mouse to the upper right corner of the screen every time I walked in the room. I never said anything because he usually had his assignments done when I needed them. I always thought he was just playing but later found out he was writing his thesis on my dollar.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:27 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I'm curious, Tadpole, about if you were somehow less bothered by the thought of him playing games than him writing his thesis. I kinda got that from your post.

I did lots of my school work for my BS and my CFP on the boss' time and dime. As long as my work was completed and the clients were taken care of, I was welcome to do so. Although I can say that it was nearly impossible to write long papers with the natural level of interruptions that occur in a normal workplace, I did a lot of other stuff that wasn't so brain-intensive OTJ. I doubt most bosses would feel that way, but he figured if he was paying for it, he wanted me to do well.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Although I didn't purchase mine until after retirement, it seems to me that the iPhone would be the perfect device for those who want to slack off at work.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I'm curious, Tadpole, about if you were somehow less bothered by the thought of him playing games than him writing his thesis. I kinda got that from your post.
Nope, didn't mean it that way. He was above average and got the job done quicker (and better). Job was spec-ed assuming average engineer so, I felt I got more than I envisioned I would be paying for.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:18 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Everywhere I've ever worked, the boss LOVED to slack off with us. They call it "team building" and it's way more fun when everyone is involved.
pimpmyretirement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:20 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpmyretirement View Post
Everywhere I've ever worked, the boss LOVED to slack off with us. They call it "team building" and it's way more fun when everyone is involved.
I call it "establishing rapport with your direct reports".
Old 08-24-2011, 08:10 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

IT will still be watching
Old 08-24-2011, 09:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
IT will still be watching
Thats why you need your own iphone/ipad. Like when cell phones came out and everyone wanted a company supplied one. Now you just bring you own and call when you want/can. I didn't need company help to slack off!