Join Early Retirement Today

A vacuum that sucks!
Old 07-21-2017, 10:33 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

A vacuum that sucks!

The 15 year old Hoover that came with DW and has power Drive, which makes it very heavy, is on its way out. I do the housecleaning and the thing is just too heavy and I don't need the power drive. I need to do carpet, entry door mats, put it up on a ladder when I clean the ceiling fans and something with a wand for cleaning around the edges of the hardwood floors.

I am not a big fan of spending over $250, and not interested in iRobot or the such

Newventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2017, 11:00 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have just about abandoned full size vacuums.

We're now using a rechargeable Shark Navigator that bought at Bed Bath and Beyond for $99 minus a 20% coupon in the Sunday newspaper. Kohls sometimes has them in stock too.

The little vacuum is so light, and it picks up trash more than either our full size uprights and the Kenmore canister vacuum with the power head. The clean out takes about 10 seconds.

We grab it off its charger and use it probably 10 times per day for something around the kitchen. Liked it so well, we bought a second Shark to put in our RV, as we cannot live without it.

Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:00 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had the same issue a few years ago. We bought a commercial Hoover CH30000. It goes over your shoulder, the body is very light, and the wand part is VERY lightweight and easy to move around.

https://www.amazon.com/Hoover-CH3000...hoover+ch30000

It's not going to pick up a bowling ball or any of that other marketing stuff, but it is quite convenient to use and does a good job at what we have.

I find myself getting it out much more often than I would have if it had been the old "big-heavy".
Old 07-21-2017, 11:19 AM   #4

Their low end starts at your top end, but take a look at Miele.

https://www.mieleusa.com/domestic/va...erLine_-_SCAE0

Way better than a Dyson IMHO.
Jerry1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:27 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Costco sells the Shark Liftaway for about $200 it sucks very well. I like it as it coverts quickly to a canister style, from an upright and has the option to use it without the powered head as a shop vac. Lots of tools come with it. Its the best. We had two dysons we gave away. Also we use the Shark rocket for our commercial business. $100
Happyras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:37 AM   #6

I like my Oreck XL. Cleans good, has a long cord and very light weight an easy to carry.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:46 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm happy with a rechargeable Hoover Lynx.

Have owned for a few years. Did need to replace the battery and buy a replacement roller. Other than that, still works great.

Not as powerful as a full vacuum, but so nice to not have to worry about plugging in and unplugging and breaking my back.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:47 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I have a Shark navigator and it sucks . I bought it at Bed, bath & beyond using the 20% coupon that is everywhere .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:25 PM   #9

I have a 17 yr old Dyson animal upright that still works very well in terms of suck. It's not particularly heavy and the wand has quite a lot of reach. I recall it as costing $300. 17 yrs ago. Shark is advertised heavily as being cheaper than Dyson but similar/better in suck. Someday, I'll have to find out. But, obviously, Dyson, for me at least wins the performance plus longevity title by a lot. used to have Hoovers but will never go back to that brand. Never had a Hoover last more than 10 yrs and they were no where as good at suck. Now i know they may have caught up in terms of technology by now. But it will be either another Dyson for me when this one finally stops sucking or otherwise breaks down, or a Shark.
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:04 PM   #10

I have the Shark Rotator Professional model.

This thing has been going strong for at least three years now, across every surface from carpet, tile, hardwood, metal vents, and vacuuming out the car.

I love the sealed anti-allergen feature with the HEPA filter. That's one of the big reasons I got it, since we have cats and I was horribly allergic to them (I didn't know it was possible to get over an allergy). The lift-away feature and alternate base to turn it into a canister vacuum or make it easier to go over hard floors has been great too.

I was looking at a Dyson and then Miele before this, but for the price and what it can do, I didn't feel this could be beat. Just in case it was crap, I bought it at Kohls for an easy return. I was expecting it to perform poorly, and was expecting to wind up with an expensive Miele and having to replace bags forever. But this has been awesome.

I have a family member who does residential and commercial cleaning. They liked this vacuum enough that they have two or three of them now too.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:17 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

We switched to a Dyson about a decade ago and will never look back.

Quiet, no dust, sucks the daylight out of the carpets, and is easily cleaned and maintained. There's a book out there by a vacuum shop owner in the UK that basically shows you how to maintain this thing for life.

And, believe it or not, there is a forum for Dyson collectors (!). No, I'm not that bored with life yet.

_B
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldar View Post

Quiet, no dust, sucks the daylight out of the carpets, and is easily cleaned and maintained. There's a book out there by a vacuum shop owner in the UK that basically shows you how to maintain this thing for life.
I've had the chance to take apart two models of Dyson. One of their originals, and one of the Animal variety. It is astonishing how easy it is to break just about every part of these things down and get to each area that stuff flows through.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:00 PM   #13

We purchased a Dyson DC24 upright vacuum that has a ball on clearance for about $300USD about 5 years ago at a Portland (no tax!) Home Depot. We think it was a great purchase. Love the performance on it compared to the wimpy vacuums we've purchased in the past. It seems to pick up way more stuff. And we also like the maneuverability of it.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:45 PM   #14
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadogmamacat View Post
I have a 17 yr old Dyson animal upright that still works very well in terms of suck. It's not particularly heavy and the wand has quite a lot of reach. I recall it as costing $300. 17 yrs ago. Shark is advertised heavily as being cheaper than Dyson but similar/better in suck. Someday, I'll have to find out. But, obviously, Dyson, for me at least wins the performance plus longevity title by a lot. used to have Hoovers but will never go back to that brand. Never had a Hoover last more than 10 yrs and they were no where as good at suck. Now i know they may have caught up in terms of technology by now. But it will be either another Dyson for me when this one finally stops sucking or otherwise breaks down, or a Shark.
+1
Same vacuum, same age, same suck.
FmrLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:04 PM   #15

I'm Biased towards Electrolux

It was my first sales job, and I won an upright in 1987, that still works to this day. Their canister versions are super powerful, and if you can get the little power head for the car they are awesome.

While working for them I saw many units that were 30-40 years old and running pretty strong.

I bought a hoover in 2000 that was dead in 10 years.
Luck_Club is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:35 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

We have a Shark Navigator and it sucks (yay!)

We also just got a Roomba 960 which I really like.
Luvdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldar View Post

And, believe it or not, there is a forum for Dyson collectors (!). No, I'm not that bored with life yet.

_B
I may be in the minority, but I didn't like the Dyson. The combination of the beater brush/bar and the suction damaged the carpet. At first, I was all impressed at how much stuff it was getting out of the carpet. Then I realized that it was mostly carpet fiber. When I bought a oriental/Persian rug (hand tied medium value), they said if I ran a Dyson on it I would void the warranty.
Jerry1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 01:25 AM   #18

I use Shark Rockets in all my apartment buildings. I have used Dyson's, and a whole hot of other vacuums.

Shark Rockets are great for stairs and landings. The canister fills up a bit quick, but it is extremely light. And it has a electric brush in the vacuum head, not air powered.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:06 PM   #19

We have a Simplicity vacuum, because it was made in the US. It's ok, but heavier than I like and no power assist. It's about 15 years old.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 05:59 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

SIL had a Dyson cordless that she swears by. Based on her recommendation, we bought a V6 Animal cordless a few months ago. It is awesome! Great on carpet at our winter condo and even better on the hard surfaces in our summer home. Highly recommended.

It'll run about 24 minutes on the regular mode... I'm usually tired of vaccuming by then. Also great in the cars and pontoon boat.

Dyson Animal V6 Cordless Vacuum - BJ's Wholesale Club

A bit more than you want to spend but IMO the quality and convenience are worth it.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote