A Very Happy Day

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
A place to share a something that made you happy today.

This was a double barreled happy day for DW and I, as we received word that our two grandsons had achieved interim goals in their young lives.

First, is a junior in college who has been and is being accepted for internship at the three universities of his choice, in the field of microbiology.

Second is a junior at IMSA (Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy) who just received word that he has been named as a National Merit Scholarship semifinalist.

While next year will be the final determinant, DS and DIL, are in a very happy place, as the likelihood of scholarships is in the offing.

It's not every day, but some days are very special. Share yours here. :dance:

Congratulations to your grandsons, Imoldernu! Sounds like they are off to a good running start in their careers.

I woke up this morning. :)

Yes! Me too and it sure beats the alternative. :)

Today I am happy and smiling because I found my favorite rain jacket in the whole universe, which I lost several months ago. :D

I found a $20 bill in the pocket of the jeans I put on this morning. Super clean and made me happy anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I found a $20 bill in the pocket of the jeans I put on this morning. Super clean and made me happy anyway.

Super clean and a $20 bill? Sounds like once again, you "accidently" slipped on a pair of your girlfriend's jeans.

Super clean and a $20 bill? Sounds like once again, you "accidently" slipped on a pair of your girlfriend's jeans.

Lol! Well said redduck. I have comments but they may take this thread into the gutter. 😁

I didn't need to go to work today. That still makes me happy, just like every day for almost the last 3 years.

My son got out of the Army last Friday with a whole skin and a still sound mind. Four years as a Ranger is enough. Off to grad school next Fall. Not really of interest to anyone else but I had to tell someone. The very best day that DW and I have had since the day he was commissioned.

My son got out of the Army last Friday with a whole skin and a still sound mind. Four years as a Ranger is enough. Off to grad school next Fall. Not really of interest to anyone else but I had to tell someone. The very best day that DW and I have had since the day he was commissioned.

Home safe. Wonderful.

Please thank him for the last four years.

Not as earth-shattering as having a child come home safe and sound from the military, but yesterday my brother ER'd at age 58 from a job that's made him miserable for years. He had a very good pension and they live modestly. He's been doing the OMY thing for years and, thank God, is still healthy enough to enjoy life with his wife and their 4 grandchildren. My SIL reported that he didn't stop smiling all day!

On top of that, I took my Geology final and there's a good chance I have an A for the course.[emoji1]

Congrats to your grandsons. Hmm today I got my moms newspaper situation worked out. Been working on it for (3) months, if you can believe. I live in Seattle area and she lives in Texas so it has been fun! Happy dance...doesn't take much folks.

I have a happy moment, and I am NOT kidding.

My "2-day" mail was delivered today on day 8

The US Postal Service has something they call "Priority Mail 2-day (tm)".

When you read further, it says, "1-3 business days(1)". But then when you look at the footnote (1) deeper, it says the standard is 5 days. And then when you call them after 5 days, they tell you that 5 days is just a standard, and it might take 7 days, so be patient before you file a claim.

They were right! I woke up on day 8 after 7 days of the tracking not updating, ready to file a claim. And lo and behold, after 7 days in transit for a 500 mile distance, it suddenly arrived at a regional sorting center, and was finally delivered on day 8.

This was important mail. For my $5.75, at least I had a tracking number. But I sweat some serious bullets. I will never use the USPS for so called 2 day again. They apparently have something called "Priority Mail Express" which is actual 2 day mail, but I will never bother. Their obfuscated marketing naming is so confusing, they lost me.

Turns out this is a common problem if you read internet searches. It is typical that dropping an envelope in the mail for $0.49 arrives faster than the $5.75 envelope "Priority".

I thought for sure this important document was lost. Nope. It was found and delivered 5 days later than I thought it would be.

For this, I AM HAPPY TODAY. My envelope was found, and delivered, despite the disingenuous marketing.

...Not really of interest to anyone else but I had to tell someone.

Actually I found the post moving. It's easy to imagine how happy/relieved you must be. Congratulations on having him back home.

I have a happy moment, and I am NOT kidding.

My "2-day" mail was delivered today on day 8

The US Postal Service has something they call "Priority Mail 2-day (tm)".

When you read further, it says, "1-3 business days(1)". But then when you look at the footnote (1) deeper, it says the standard is 5 days. And then when you call them after 5 days, they tell you that 5 days is just a standard, and it might take 7 days, so be patient before you file a claim.

They were right! I woke up on day 8 after 7 days of the tracking not updating, ready to file a claim. And lo and behold, after 7 days in transit for a 500 mile distance, it suddenly arrived at a regional sorting center, and was finally delivered on day 8.

This was important mail. For my $5.75, at least I had a tracking number. But I sweat some serious bullets. I will never use the USPS for so called 2 day again. They apparently have something called "Priority Mail Express" which is actual 2 day mail, but I will never bother. Their obfuscated marketing naming is so confusing, they lost me.

Turns out this is a common problem if you read internet searches. It is typical that dropping an envelope in the mail for $0.49 arrives faster than the $5.75 envelope "Priority".

I thought for sure this important document was lost. Nope. It was found and delivered 5 days later than I thought it would be.

For this, I AM HAPPY TODAY. My envelope was found, and delivered, despite the disingenuous marketing.

I too am happy about the USPS today! We were away Mon thru Thurs and placed a hold on our mail, which was then to be delivered yesterday. Today the carrier brought three pieces of "held mail" followed in an hour by three pieces of today's "regular mail". Meanwhile our neighbor had kept his eye open for us and accumulated some twenty pieces of our mail that had been delivered to our house while we were gone.

Back
Top Bottom