Join Early Retirement Today

AARP/AT&T - save some bucks
Old 12-20-2015, 10:17 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

AARP/AT&T - save some bucks

The gal spotted this and we put it into service yesterday. AARP members ($15/yr membership) save 10% on AT&T wireless charges. Allegedly you can sign up online, but save the headache and go in to an AT&T company store with your AARP card and sign up there - I spent way too long on line in fruitless loops and chatting with service reps who sent me back around the same loops. In store took about 5 minutes - though we were lucky to be helped instantly.

AARP Discounts | Unbeatable Deals and Overwhelming Offers from Exclusive Merchants - AARPdiscounts.com

We were being charged about $105/month for a 3 phone plan, so looking forward to $10/month savings.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2015, 10:42 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

AT&T also has deals with a lot of major companies for employee discounts. Even being retired 4 years, I still get my old employer discount.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:24 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfn111 View Post
AT&T also has deals with a lot of major companies for employee discounts. Even being retired 4 years, I still get my old employer discount.

Good to know because I just retired and was wondering if anyone would notice I have my old employer discount.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-21-2015, 03:11 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Try Cricket wireless and save even more. Cricket is an AT&T subsidiary. We have two lines for our smartphones, with more data than we can ever use, for $70 month. You get to use the AT&T wireless network.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:30 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

We have a number of veterans here, so FWIW you should know that AT&T also offers a veterans discount.

Wireless Discounts for Military and Vets| AT&T Government Solutions| AT&T
Old 12-21-2015, 08:54 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
Try Cricket wireless and save even more. Cricket is an AT&T subsidiary. We have two lines for our smartphones, with more data than we can ever use, for $70 month. You get to use the AT&T wireless network.
Or look into airvoicewireless, a MVNO that uses the AT&T network.

DW and I pay $10/month each for 30 days of service and up to 250 minutes of voice (4 cents/minute)/500 texts (2 cents/text)/1.5GB of data (6 cents/kb). Unused money rolls over to future month.

$20/month for two cellphones that meet our modest needs is a deal IMO.

https://www.airvoicewireless.com/PlansC.aspx
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 10:09 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
The gal spotted this and we put it into service yesterday. AARP members ($15/yr membership) save 10% on AT&T wireless charges. . In store took about 5 minutes - though we were lucky to be helped instantly.
Unfortunately I tried this a few months ago in store. The girl was very nice, took SOME information down and said I was all set but seemed unsure on how to process it.

Had a sneaky feeling that I wasn't "all set" as I left...been about 4 months now and still waiting for the discount.

I might go back and try again......
Old 12-21-2015, 09:34 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Look at Consumer Cellular. On the ATT network and get just the plan you need. My SO qualify's for a 40% retiree discount at ATT and CC was a better deal.Find a member to refer you and both get $10 off 1st month. My daughter in law was paying 63 month to ATT, we put her on with our 2 phones and all 3 are just under what her 1 phone was. For us it was cheaper than Cricket, which we almost went with.
Also, AARP gets 5% off CC.