Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Hey, speak for yourself, fella ...
Opps, sorry bout that. I meant to type geezers not old fogies. Thanks for the heads up.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I joined AARP when I hit 50, and just did another 5 year renewal a few weeks ago. I enjoy reading both their magazine and their newspaper. The $12.60 per year membership fee more than pays for itself in hotel discounts when we travel or go to bluegrass festivals. We're currently vacationing in Florida for a couple of weeks, and hotel discounts for this trip alone amount to over $300.

I have no need for AARP's insurance offers, since I already have everything I want and/or need. So AARP junk mail, to me, is like any other junk mail.....I use it to start our bonfires, or I shred it and toss it in the compost pile, or I lay it down in the gardens and use it as mulch. In my view junk mail is like cow manure....to some folks it's just a bunch of cr*p....to others (like me) it's good for the gardens!

Obviously being in the minority here, the only thing that I'll say concerning AARP's political views and opinions, is that I have no major difference of opinion...nuf said. Besides, I only discuss political matters in 'face-to-face' situations, and never over the internet.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:57 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

AARP sent me a letter to join when I was 48. Back then it was just $10, and as a joke, sent them $10, telling the wife they'd have to send back my check since I wasn't 50. Well, they gave me a membership, so every year I'd cough up the $12 or so; liked the magazine and articles, and liked supporting a worthy cause. This year they wanted $16 (I think), so I said no. Like '73SS454' and 'martyb' said, got bombarded with tons of mail, etc. Too bad for them--no more $$ from me.
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:45 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
That's absolutely NOT the case with AARP. As I said in my previous post, I have contacted them multiple times, in multiple ways, requesting to be removed from their mailing/contact lists, to no avail. They promise I will be removed, yet I continue to receive the solicitations for membership, life insurance, etc. etc. They ignore my wishes. I will call them again in the morning.
I guess they just like me better than they like you. (I hope you think that was funny and not sarcastic...) It's time for the old "I've called several times about this matter and evidently I'm not speaking with the right person...." Good luck.
East Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:20 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I always check for an AARP discount at hotels, though I've never been asked to show any proof of membership. It just seems to be a way to offer a lower price for bargain hunters while saving face for the establishment.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
That's absolutely NOT the case with AARP. As I said in my previous post, I have contacted them multiple times, in multiple ways, requesting to be removed from their mailing/contact lists, to no avail. They promise I will be removed, yet I continue to receive the solicitations for membership, life insurance, etc. etc. They ignore my wishes. I will call them again in the morning.
Just take one of those mailings and write on the outside, DECEASED -- RETURN TO SENDER. Then drop it in the post.

This worked for a truly deceased member of our family when I did this.

Hmmm ... maybe this works for other annoyances too?
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:54 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Just take one of those mailings and write on the outside, DECEASED -- RETURN TO SENDER. Then drop it in the post.

This worked for a truly deceased member of our family when I did this.

Hmmm ... maybe this works for other annoyances too?

That's a GREAT idea! I'll do it as soon as I get the next piece of mail from them...

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:04 PM   #28

We quit AARP due to their politics. I discovered if I want to read their magazine, most of it is on the web site.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:21 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Agree about the politics issues - not a fan of their particular brand. However, we save many times the membership fee in discounts each year. I feel a bit guilty about filling up landfills with their junk mail, but some of our trash gets burned to make electricity here. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I feel a bit guilty about filling up landfills with their junk mail, but some of our trash gets burned to make electricity here. YMMV
Of course they paid the federal government a bulk-mail postage rate to haul that trash at least 2500 miles across the ocean before we could donate it to the HPOWER plant...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:47 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I always check for an AARP discount at hotels, though I've never been asked to show any proof of membership. It just seems to be a way to offer a lower price for bargain hunters while saving face for the establishment.
Once DW and I stopped at a motel and when I regiesterd I asked if they gave a discount for AARP and the lady said yes. So I took out my AMEX card to pay and the lady said you get a bigger discount via AMEX, just some food for thought if you think your getting great discounts with AARP.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:14 PM   #32

lol...I usually either ask for the military rate or the government rate. Only once have I been asked to show an ID, and then it wasn't a problem since I do carry one of each. I'm retired from the military side, but so far, nobody's made a distinction between me being active vs. retired. Normally, to get the "government rate" I think you're supposed to be on some kind of travel orders, but like I said, I've only been asked for confirmation once, and that time I actually was on orders.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:54 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Once DW and I stopped at a motel and when I regiesterd I asked if they gave a discount for AARP and the lady said yes. So I took out my AMEX card to pay and the lady said you get a bigger discount via AMEX, just some food for thought if you think your getting great discounts with AARP.
I'll have to haul out all my cards at all the hotels we go to. Let's see:
1) AAA
2) Amex
3) Library card
4) Safeway
5) Starbucks
6) Visa
7) Democratic Party or Republican Party (depends on how I size them up) ...
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
I did a similar thing recently while booking online. I compared to see the lowest rates, AAA vs AARP vs just the hotel's lowest rate option. The lowest rate option won out.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #35

Good to know about AARP's excessive sending of junk mail. I've discovered Consumer Reports spews similar amounts.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I'm surprised at the sentiment against AARP. I've been a member since I was 50 and enjoy the periodicals and utilize the discounts at motels, etc. While I'm not keen on their politics I recognize their right to express their opinion.

I probably could do without it AARP that I also have AAA and often the discounts are similar but to me the periodicals are worth the modest cost and any discounts are gravy.

I haven't found their insurance or anything like that particular compelling.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:23 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Good to know about AARP's excessive sending of junk mail. I've discovered Consumer Reports spews similar amounts.
Comcast is another chronic offender for us...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I'm surprised at the sentiment against AARP. I've been a member since I was 50 and enjoy the periodicals and utilize the discounts at motels, etc. While I'm not keen on their politics I recognize their right to express their opinion.
Their right no question. But I can't subsidize an organization with political views that they know (lf should) are blindly self-serving IMO. Their last TV ad was just another example of same...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I did a similar thing recently while booking online. I compared to see the lowest rates, AAA vs AARP vs just the hotel's lowest rate option. The lowest rate option won out.

Most of the time that is not the case... at least for when I book things..

Usually they are close enough that the few $$$s does not matter to me, but not always...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Their right no question. But I can't subsidize an organization with political views that they know (lf should) are blindly self-serving IMO. Their last TV ad was just another example of same...
I don't have a problem with AARP advocating that SS and Medicare benefits for seniors not be cut. Not sure what else anyone would expect given their constituency.

I wasn't keen on the ad because it implied that seniors (or at least their membership) was united on that hot button issue and I'm certain that is not the case. Like I said in my prior post, I'm not keen on their politics, but as a practical matter I don't think my $12 a year buys a lot of tv time.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote