Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I don't have a problem with AARP advocating that SS and Medicare benefits for seniors not be cut. Not sure what else anyone would expect given their constituency.
If they offered an alternative solution, I'd agree. But 'cut waste and loopholes' doesn't begin to address our fiscal imbalances, and AARP knows that (or should before an ad like that). It just strikes me as 'we got ours, and we don't care who else has to pay to keep it that way.' I don't think that's helpful (especially with our current political impasse) or fair, and I'd stand to gain by AARP's position so it would be easier for me to go along with them.

To be clear, I have no quarrel with you or anyone who may choose to join AARP, just explaining why I don't...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2012, 02:32 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I'm wondering if I wrote my note on a brick and taped on their little "business reply" envelope if they'd have to pay the postage for that?
Your heart's in the right place, but no:

The Straight Dope: Can I mail a brick back to a junk-mail firm using the business reply envelope?
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Just take one of those mailings and write on the outside, DECEASED -- RETURN TO SENDER. Then drop it in the post.

This worked for a truly deceased member of our family when I did this.

Hmmm ... maybe this works for other annoyances too?
Instead of asking to be removed from a mailing list, it works better to tell them your address has changed. Choose a bogus address that is far from you. This works for spam as well (use a mailinator address).
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Instead of asking to be removed from a mailing list, it works better to tell them your address has changed. Choose a bogus address that is far from you. This works for spam as well (use a mailinator address).
I like that idea. My experience with AARP has been negative for similar reasons as many other posters.

AARP is like the Roach Hotel - they let you check in, but they won't let you check out.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Believe it or not, there are alternatives to AARP:

AARP Alternatives | eHow.com

To AARP or not AARP reminds me of back in the day when the debate was Windows or Mac (the Bill Gates or Steve Jobs approach, take your pick).
Old 02-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't like the politics of AARP, I throw away their mailers but I do use a couple of their discounts.....hotel rooms and I do enjoy their magazine. To me it's worth it...I just take what I like and ignore the rest.
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
One might choose an address for another firm that is sending you junk mail. Junk mail firm 1 gets junk mail firm 2's address, and vice-versa.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:46 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Man....I'm REALLY getting some good ideas here....lol! I think I like Lsbcal's idea in post #47 the most...

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:09 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome len View Post
I don't like the politics of AARP.........
Me neither. Too conservative
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:36 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
It just strikes me as 'we got ours, and we don't care who else has to pay to keep it that way.'
"... and we VOTE!"

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:27 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Believe it or not, there are alternatives to AARP:

AARP Alternatives | eHow.com

To AARP or not AARP reminds me of back in the day when the debate was Windows or Mac (the Bill Gates or Steve Jobs approach, take your pick).
What ever happened to the Grey Panthers?
Old 02-28-2012, 11:29 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
What ever happened to the Grey Panthers?
All the men died. Now it's called the Grey Cougars.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I don't have a problem with AARP advocating that SS and Medicare benefits for seniors not be cut. Not sure what else anyone would expect given their constituency.
I only have a problem with it because they are more than willing to have their kids and grandkids get screwed so they -- even the most affluent of them -- don't have to share in the sacrifice of fixing SS, Medicare, public pensions and other old age social programs. Even in the absence of reforms today's seniors are expected to get a better deal out of these programs than younger folks today -- and their preferred "reforms" would only increase the differences.

I'm about 3 1/2 years away from "AARP age" and I plan to tell them to pound sand.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:51 PM   #54
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
...I plan to tell them to pound sand.
Aw... tell us what you really think ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I only have a problem with it because they are more than willing to have their kids and grandkids get screwed so they -- even the most affluent of them -- don't have to share in the sacrifice of fixing SS, Medicare, public pensions and other old age social programs. Even in the absence of reforms today's seniors are expected to get a better deal out of these programs than younger folks today -- and their preferred "reforms" would only increase the differences.

I'm about 3 1/2 years away from "AARP age" and I plan to tell them to pound sand.
Ziggy, I am also not a fan of AARP's total resistance to reform of SS. I think Seniors will have to make some (more) sacrifices. However, I was THERE when it was fixed in 1983. I was told (by my gummint) that by making a FEW "sacrifices", we wouldn't have to worry about it when the time came for us to collect. Well, the sacrifices were significant (especially for those of us who always seemed right at that point where we made JUST enough to pay the maximum (and were promised the LEAST on a percentage of working-income basis when we finally did collect). And they are significant for those of us who wanted to retire early - MY FRA is 66 which IS a reduction in benefits from the old system.

Now, the system is broke(en) again and the question is who gets to pay this time. I agree, it should not all be dumped on the kids again (like I was back in 1983.) Still, there IS a school of thought that we did PAY the extra to insure that SS would be here for us at this age. So, while I don't agree with AARP, I see their point because I don't really want to be the one who gets it coming AND going - or, I guess it's who gives it coming and going. I suppose there is a school of thought that someone (AARP, maybe) has to push for NO cuts so that when the cutting actually gets done, its not all on us old folks. Probably no danger of that, but AARP could take some credit for that - even if we don't like their approach. Just another view point and worth every penny you pay to hear it. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:15 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

I have problems with some of the politics of AARP. And the amount of junk mail they sent me when I was a member.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:34 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
All the men died. Now it's called the Grey Cougars.
I wonder if AARP has a Facebook fan page for the Grey Cougars...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Seems like you have a pretty wide brush in your hand there ziggy.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:27 AM   #59
Administrator

AARP changed, and went from an organization that lobbied for the interests of senior citizens to a brand that rents itself to others to sell to seniors. The SS campaign they ran may have been intended also to show that their primary purpose is still as an advocate, but I agree (and said so then) that it was too selfish.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:43 AM   #60
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
...that rents itself to others...
Sounds like a streetwalker (I won't use the word I'm thinking )...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote