aborted bike ride

CyclingInvestor

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I decided to try Amtrak's roll-on/off bicycle program this week, where you can just roll your bike onto certain trains with no box, hang it on a bike hook, then roll it back off at your destination. Not only do you not have to coordinate getting a bike box, but you can debark at smaller stations that have no baggage handling.

I rode the train from LAX to Grover Beach Monday, got off at dusk and rode a mile to the Pismo Beach Motel 6. It was as easy as it was supposed to be. I was anticipating a nice 3 day ride home.

Next morning I rode to Buellton on H1 / H135 / H101 in perfect weather, checked into the Motel 6, showered, then went wine tasting utilizing the local bus to Los Olivos. Tasting rooms are very uncrowded on mid-week afternoons.

Wednesday I rode H101 down to the ocean, then east towards Santa Barbara. After 25 miles, I had a blowout. I changed out the tube, "dollar-bill" patched the tire, and tried to pump it up. My pump was blown - I could get maybe 25 lbs of pressure, nowhere near enough to ride on.

So, I start walking along H101. After 5 miles and almost 2 hours, I got the idea that the problem might be my new tube, not my pump. I swap in my other tube and manage to pump it up to about 30 lbs by pumping as fast as I could - not really enough to ride on, but enough to try. I manage to ride 5 miles before the tube and tire blow, destroying both, but at least I was off the freeway. I walked the last 4 miles to the Goleta Amtrak station, and successfully tested the bike roll-on program again.

So, 1.3 days of riding instead of 3, but it is nice to know I can still walk 9 miles if I have to.

I decided to try Amtrak's roll-on/off bicycle program this week, where you can just roll your bike onto certain trains with no box, hang it on a bike hook, then roll it back off at your destination. Not only do you not have to coordinate getting a bike box, but you can debark at smaller stations that have no baggage handling.

I rode the train from LAX to Grover Beach Monday, got off at dusk and rode a mile to the Pismo Beach Motel 6. It was as easy as it was supposed to be. I was anticipating a nice 3 day ride home.

Next morning I rode to Buellton on H1 / H135 / H101 in perfect weather, checked into the Motel 6, showered, then went wine tasting utilizing the local bus to Los Olivos. Tasting rooms are very uncrowded on mid-week afternoons.

Wednesday I rode H101 down to the ocean, then east towards Santa Barbara. After 25 miles, I had a blowout. I changed out the tube, "dollar-bill" patched the tire, and tried to pump it up. My pump was blown - I could get maybe 25 lbs of pressure, nowhere near enough to ride on.

So, I start walking along H101. After 5 miles and almost 2 hours, I got the idea that the problem might be my new tube, not my pump. I swap in my other tube and manage to pump it up to about 30 lbs by pumping as fast as I could - not really enough to ride on, but enough to try. I manage to ride 5 miles before the tube and tire blow, destroying both, but at least I was off the freeway. I walked the last 4 miles to the Goleta Amtrak station, and successfully tested the bike roll-on program again.

So, 1.3 days of riding instead of 3, but it is nice to know I can still walk 9 miles if I have to.

How much does your bike weigh? Are you using very thin tires?

Frustrating ride but in the California sun not too bad.

Ha

Tubes are not the place to save weight. Road or mountain biking - I carry an extra tube. I also use CO2 cartridges for the road bike; pump for the mountain bike.

I use heavy tires and tubes. 38mm on back, 35mm on front currently (hybrid bike). Because of my size I always buy for strength, never for lightness. On any longer ride I would carry an extra tire and mini-pump. This is not the first time this has happened to me. About a decade ago I got to walk 8 miles thru the desert in the summer into Barstow after my pump blew out.

What type of pump do you have? I had a mini pump for years. Then I switched to a full-size Zefal and never looked back.

I've been relatively happy with my Road Morph:

e4dcc6f5-dd88-42b8-90cc-144d1e69ad5c.jpg

Al,
that looks like a large pump.
On my road bike, I carry,
extra tube
CO2 for inflation - 2 cartridges
patch kit
Valve stem attachment - presta to shrader or the other way around - I forgot- allows the use of gas station air pumps

For mountain bike I swap out the CO2 for a 9" hand pump

I like the idea of the CO2 cartridges, but for the expense: the cartridges are $1.50 each. I had a week a while ago in which I had five flats! So that would be... well, you do the math.

But seriously, that pump isn't too big; it only weighs 8 ounces. I might switch to CO2 someday.

I like the idea of the CO2 cartridges, but for the expense: the cartridges are $1.50 each. I had a week a while ago in which I had five flats! So that would be... well, you do the math.

But seriously, that pump isn't too big; it only weighs 8 ounces. I might switch to CO2 someday.

Check out the ones at Walmart used for CO2 guns - usually cheaper
5 flats - something between the tube and tire?
I put some talcum powder inside the tire - it reduces heat and the inner tube from sticking to the tire - might help.
8oz is good - it looks heavier.

I had a week a while ago in which I had five flats! So that would be... well, you do the math.
Yikes-- I haven't ridden seriously for nearly five years, but when I did I used thorn-resistant tires with tube liners. They added weight (and rolling inertia) but they more than made up for lost time & CO2 cartridges.

At five flats per week it's probably cost-effective to hire a chase vehicle or wear jogging shoes...

Ever thought of trying any of the solid tires? I have used them with mixed results. And, I'm getting ready to try them again on my recumbent this year.

Back
Top Bottom