Join Early Retirement Today

Absinthe
Old 07-13-2016, 11:09 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Absinthe

I've been enjoying this stuff for years w/o benefit of the proper tools, so I ordered up some "bubble glasses" a "grill" and some sugar cubes. The dose sits in the bubble and you slowly pour iced water over the cube on the grill to melt it into the glass.

The Absinthe louches into the water and makes this lovely opal cocktail;

Celebrate La Belle Époque

RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2016, 11:38 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've never tried absinthe, but have been curious. What's the recipe to your favorite drink?
latexman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:05 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

You just mix about 3:1 ice water to absinthe and melt the cube with the water.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:07 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Eh, should absinthe not be of the green color to be truly traditional?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:09 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

that brings back some really bad memories. stuff keeps you lucid but it has a strong kick
Old 07-13-2016, 12:10 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

The color varies from more green to more yellow.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:12 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps you need to drink the green stuff to see the "green fairy".

Note: photo linked from the Web.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:14 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
that brings back some really bad memories. stuff keeps you lucid but it has a strong kick
That's why you cut 3X with water. It 68% (136 proof) out the bottle. After the cut it's 17%, like port or sherry.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:22 PM   #9

I wish I liked absinthe more, cause I love the "idea" of it and the history and mystique of it. But it's just too medicinal and licorice-tasting for me. Hoping that one day I'll come across a really good absinthe cocktail of some variety.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:19 PM   #10

Is it widely available? While I haven't looked in my neighborhood ABC store, they don't market it so you can't miss it. How many brands does your store carry?
latexman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:25 PM   #11

Wasn't it banned at one time from the U.S? Perhaps had some banned substance in it? Ernest Hemingway and friends all drank it in Paris. Of course, they drank anything they could get their hands on (and then went running with the bulls of course).
It sounds like a bad migraine to me. . .
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:26 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not much of an alcohol person. Ill still to weed.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:36 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
Wasn't it banned at one time from the U.S? Perhaps had some banned substance in it? Ernest Hemingway and friends all drank it in Paris. Of course, they drank anything they could get their hands on (and then went running with the bulls of course).
It sounds like a bad migraine to me. . .
Yes it was not allowed in the US for many years. Something about ear protection.

We used to consume it regularly. Interesting slightly different buzz.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:42 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I bought mine at BevMo, I think they have a few different.

Absinthe Currently Available In The USA

Doubs
Duplais Verte
Francais Superieure
Kubler Superieure
Jade Nouvelle Orleans
Jade PF 1901
La Charlotte Superieure
La Clandestine Superieure
La Fee Parisienne
Leopold Bros. Verte
Lucid Superieure
Mansinthe
Marteau
Obsello Verte
Pacifique
Pernod aux Plantes Superieure
St. George Verte
Vieux Pontarlier

The ban was not really a ban on Absinthe, it was a ban on thujone which is a component of wormwood.

The law1 states that all foods and beverages containing any Artemisia species must be "thujone-free". However, according to the statute, "thujone-free" does not literally mean "zero thujone."
In order to determine thujone content, an official method for thujone analysis was prescribed. Although the information has been published and accessible since the 1960s, it was not widely known that the threshold of tolerance—the fudge factor—for this method was ten parts per million (10 ppm), about 10 mg/L.
This effectively legalizes many absinthes, since authentic absinthe contains only minute traces of thujone in the first place. The highest thujone levels so far detected in pre-ban samples is 48.3 mg/L, the lowest was "none detected." 2 Many pre-ban era absinthes would be legal in the US today by modern government standards.

Source; Authentic Absinthe Is Legal In The US

So, by all means, go and try some absinthe and find out for yourself -
Old 07-13-2016, 01:57 PM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

Triggered memories of Authors that I have read...

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Absinthe originated in the canton of Neuchâtel in Switzerland in the late 18th century. It rose to great popularity as an alcoholic drink in late 19th- and early 20th-century France, particularly among Parisian artists and writers. Owing in part to its association with bohemian culture, the consumption of absinthe was opposed by social conservatives and prohibitionists. Ernest Hemingway, James Joyce, Charles Baudelaire, Paul Verlaine, Arthur Rimbaud, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Amedeo Modigliani, Pablo Picasso, Vincent van Gogh, Oscar Wilde, Marcel Proust, Aleister Crowley, Erik Satie, Edgar Allan Poe, Lord Byron and Alfred Jarry were all known absinthe drinkers.
Absinthe has often been portrayed as a dangerously addictive psychoactive drug and hallucinogen. The chemical compound thujone, although present in the spirit in only trace amounts, was blamed for its alleged harmful effects. By 1915, absinthe had been banned in the United States and in much of Europe, including France, the Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland and Austria-Hungary. Although absinthe was vilified, it has not been demonstrated to be any more dangerous than ordinary spirits. Recent studies have shown that absinthe's psychoactive properties (apart from that of the alcohol) have been exaggerated. A revival of absinthe began in the 1990s, following the adoption of modern European Union food and beverage laws that removed longstanding barriers to its production and sale. By the early 21st century, nearly 200 brands of absinthe were being produced in a dozen countries, most notably in France, Switzerland, Australia, Spain, and the Czech Republic.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:59 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I have never bought it for home, but GF and I enjoy it from time to time at our favorite neighborhood eatery, a French Bistro. They know how to properly serve it, and I am really not interested in mixology or arcane service rituals. I think the dominant taste is anise. Ouzo is similar with this taste, and each of them gets cloudy when ice is added. Something must come out of solution.

Ha
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:06 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I think the dominant taste is anise. Ouzo is similar with this taste, and each of them gets cloudy when ice is added. Something must come out of solution.
OK, so it's similar to Arak, which I tried in Syria many decades ago......take it or leave it..leave it mostly.

Arak - Alcoholic Beverages - Middle Eastern Beverages

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:35 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Absinthe is an ingredient of one of the earliest cocktails, the Sazerac, still a New Orleans staple. I'll mix one once in a while just for something different. We only have 2 brands available from ABC, neither of the best quality.

Oh, don't forget-absinthe makes the heart grow fonder!
Old 07-14-2016, 05:49 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Growing up in my family, social drinking of alcohol was absolutely acceptable and nearly required of an adult. Drinking absinthe, on the other hand, was about as acceptable as drinking a cocktail of rat poison mixed with still-warm human blood while chanting Satanic verses and covering every nearby surface with swastika graffiti.

In other words, I can hear my beloved, long departed grandmother saying in the most awful tones, "Absinthe? He drank absinthe?" with her eyes as big as dinner plates and looking like she was about to expire on the spot.

I have never had absinthe and never will if I have any say in the matter. We just don't do that. I'm sure the reasons, long lost in time, are completely illogical but nevertheless, I just couldn't.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:14 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

First time I had absinthe was in '94 in the Netherlands. We were out in BFE and went to the "company bar"(really no charge for the senior folks) after the day. Our host told the charming bartender to get something special. No translation to whatever concoction the woman gave us next. After a few we got on the train to Amsterdam. It was a great start to a very interesting night.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote