Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Abusive postings etc
Old 10-12-2004, 02:10 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

A very well-thought out post, TH. Thanks for crystallizing the whole situation in a way that (I hope) people with less history with this whole mess will understand.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2004, 02:47 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
A very well-thought out post, TH. Thanks for crystallizing the whole situation in a way that (I hope) people with less history with this whole mess will understand.
I agree with CK (we've both been through this from the beginning).

A couple of other comments:

Quote:
He is however an expert at provoking...a superstar in the art of making someone else take a poke at him and then playing the victim. Some of his provokation includes "quoting" things that people havent actually said, laying claim to people following specific "systems" or "methodologies" that they in fact are not following, and laying unfounded claims and incomplete and inaccurate lines of thinking.
This is very true. That's why you (th) and others (CK?) have to resist when he misquotes you. He does it on purpose to get a rise.

Quote:
It appears that historically, a ban has resolved the situation
I, unfortunately, have to disagree here. As you know, he is here under several names. He also reappears at the Fool, where he has been banned, by buying new memberships. This is a real indication that some thing is wrong.

I'm afraid that ignoring, or emulating the excellent kayak defense is the only way to go.

I will never directly respond to this person, and I suggest that those of you who are dismayed by his destructiveness do the same.

arrete

Old 10-12-2004, 02:48 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Beware this is a CHP (cocktail hour post).

Although among the very best of the best, this is still an internet forum fer chrissake. As long as the post meets the forum guidelines... its allowable. Don't like it, hit the "PgDn" key until you find something worth reading.

If you ban him he might go to Sirius with Howard Stern and THAT would really annoy me, as a charter member.

BUM
Old 10-12-2004, 02:56 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm afraid that ignoring, or emulating the excellent kayak defense is the only way to go.
Emission of nasal milk has occurred.

I want to agree...I just think that if we're going to effect a ban, this is the time.

I wasnt aware that he had persisted with the multiple alias thing at the Fool and at NFB.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 02:57 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I'll say what I stated on another board where a certain person has already been banned.

Unlike others, h@@@@ does not add value to conversations. I have not been around on these boards for very long. So far, he has managed to annoy me with his self-importance and reposting of topics from years ago. (What kind of person keeps their old posts, anyway? Evidence of a strange person, if you ask me.)

On the other hand, others on this board have been very insighful and helpful. The fact that this individual continues to post and annoy others here will eventually chase away those people whose opinions I am interested in. Should those people leave, and this becomes an all-h@@@@ zone, I won't be coming around. I enjoy going to the other board that is a h@@@@-free zone.

If that troll continues around here, I suspect that others won't be coming back. The board will turn into a ghost town. I really like the people on this board and hope you'll take steps for the benefit of the community.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:20 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

The old posts may be my fault. When he first came here a little over a year ago a lot of people told him to take a hike. I didnt know anything about him and he seemed kinda pathetic to me and I felt sorry for him.

Rumor had it that one time on the Fool boards he was highly regarded and a top poster. I suggested that he avoid the SWR hot button and repost some of his supposedly highly regarded older posts. Build some good will. Add something to the community.

And he did and all was well until all of a sudden we had to have extensive posts about predicting the future, magic tools, death threats and why Intercst may be the antichrist.

Now that he thinks he might be publishing a book...well...what plays better to a publisher "Hi, I have a book...I have nothing to support me and I've been banned from every internet discussion group that engages in the topic because I was an ass" or "Hi I have a book and look at all these on topic web discussion groups that I'm a well regarded poster of!".

He's trying to build good will and playing the "I'm not doing anything wrong and all of you are picking on me" card.

Considering the rumor is that he made a payment to a guy running another board to drop the ban on him, this approach may be a little cheaper.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
nRe: Abusive postings etc
Old 10-12-2004, 03:49 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

nRe: Abusive postings etc

I have found this board very useful as well as entertaining and I would miss it very much if it were to become inactive.

One point in particular disturbs me and that is that a user would post under multiple names. I can see no legitimate purpose for multiple names.

Ignoring and not responding to inflamatory and abusive posts is of utmost importance.

If the situation endangers this board I will support a ban without hesitation as I know more of the history than I did previously.

thank you

Bruce
Old 10-12-2004, 04:10 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Arrete, I loved the "kayak defense" (LOL)! I'm sure we can all come up with great non-sequiturs when needed, on practically any topic. Heck, if we're REALLY desperate, I can start sharing knitting tips. That will keep the trolls away!
Old 10-12-2004, 04:22 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Heck, if we're REALLY desperate, I can start sharing knitting tips. That will keep the trolls away!
Oohh! I'm there!

Not sure how they guys will chime in unless they are Scottish and knit their own socks.

arrete
Old 10-12-2004, 04:42 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

I may be willing to wear a kilt if it helps.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:08 PM   #51

No kilt flipping though, OK?
Old 10-12-2004, 05:44 PM   #52

Hey ER Friends,

It's been fun watching this debate for the past few days. I posted a while back in favor of reading *****'s posts--and my post was promptly accused of being a subterfuge. Not true, but so be it!

One of the traits some ERs have to be aware of is our irascible nature. I've often suspected that ER types like myself had to quit work because we became such poor SOBs at work. No doubt, some truth in that for many of us, I'll bet.

Over the past few days this thread has been read over 1,000 times--probably mostly by 'guests' like myself. Yet, the chorus of anti-***** posts have mostly come from three or four of you. No doubt, there is some merit to your grievances--but like another poster I don't care to know the history.

So, how about confining your off-topic anti-***** posts to this thread (where I can and will read them), and let the rest of us read and comment on *****'s posts without interruption? I'd really like to evaluate *****'s posts on their own merits. That way, you can keep ***** honest (assuming that's needed), while at the same time preserving the freedom this board thrives on.

It's worth a try! Thanks.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:50 PM   #53

Guest, I have been following this thread with interest. In fact, I am personally responsible for at least 900 of those 1000 views. I believe ***** is the reincarnation of a Great Warrior, and together we may be able to defeat the Defenders of Conventional Methodoligies (DCMs). I suggest that the three of us flee this place and correspond via email.

What say you? Thanks!
Old 10-12-2004, 07:26 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Can't help the guys out with the kilts, sorry.

But I must say, I find the poncho trend very interesting. I personally would look horrible in a normal poncho because I'm short, but I found a really nifty capelet (aka a short poncho) pattern that would look so cute with just a simple, slim black top, snug black pants, and boots. It's just a touch sparkly and it's knitted in the round, so it should be pretty easy!
Old 10-12-2004, 09:12 PM   #55

Quote:
I found a really nifty capelet (aka a short poncho) pattern that would look so cute with just a simple, slim black top, snug black pants, and boots.
I like the direction this thread has taken. Fashion is so much more fun than paranoid posters and Guest smack-downs.

I usually wear shorts and an old t-shirt, but I think I'll try snug black pants and a slim black top. Maybe even let a little belly-button show. Hell, I'm an ER now, so it's not like somebody is going to fire me for showing a little belly-button, eh? I'm not sure I'm ready for kilts yet, though. One step at a time.

Old 10-13-2004, 05:51 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

If you are anywhere near Alexandria, VA in early December, try the Scottish Walk. Lots of guys in kilts.

http://www.campagnacenter.org/scw04index.htm

Caution - a little bagpipe with the URL.

arrete
Old 10-13-2004, 06:03 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I like the direction this thread has taken. * Fashion is so much more fun than paranoid posters and Guest smack-downs.

I usually wear shorts and an old t-shirt, but I think I'll try snug black pants and a slim black top. * Maybe even let a little belly-button show. * Hell, I'm an ER now, so it's not like somebody is going to fire me for showing a little belly-button, eh? * I'm not sure I'm ready for kilts yet, though. *One step at a time.

Speaking of belly buttons, I can't believe I'm actually considering, as a reward for losing X number of pounds, getting my belly button pierced! I personally think it looks so cute, and I know I have the perfect belly button for it. I know BF will like it. But what do you guys think of that sort of thing?

Hmmmm, how to work your way up to wearing kilts? I dunno. I think guys in kilts look great, particularly if they have the legs for it. It takes a LOT of confidence to wear one of those, and confidence is way sexy!
Old 10-13-2004, 07:05 AM   #58

I am staying kiltless also, and am only in favor of piercing
if it's being done to liberal hearts Otherwise, I don't find anything beyond maybe 2 in the ear (hey, that's a line from the Sopranos ) at all attractive. Same with tattoos. Except for hardcore
bikers and sailors, I think it smacks of trailer trash
(apologies to all mobile/manufactured housing
advocates).

John Galt
Old 10-13-2004, 07:17 AM   #59

Quote:
Hey ER Friends,

One of the traits some ERs have to be aware of is our irascible nature. I've often suspected that ER types like myself had to quit work because we became such poor SOBs at work. No doubt, some truth in that for many of us, I'll bet.

Guest,

I agree with your observation on the irascible nature of many ER types. I know in my case it is true. During the last few years of my working life I found myself increasingly irritated by my collegues and by management. Things that I previously could ignore seemed to really set me off. Thats why my screen name is Grumpy.

Grumpy
Old 10-13-2004, 07:27 AM   #60

Well, "irascable" certainly fits me. And Grumpy, I could have been Grumpy if you had not preempted me.
As it is, my ENT guy thinks I am Sneezy, my ex. thinks I am Dopey, my wife thinks I am Sleepy, but no one thinks I am Bashful

John Galt