Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Abusive postings etc
Old 10-13-2004, 08:10 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Drat! You made me go look up the last Dwarf (I already remembered Doc). Happy! I'm usually happy - especially since I'm FIREd.

arrete

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2004, 10:14 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Speaking of belly buttons, I can't believe I'm actually considering, as a reward for losing X number of pounds, getting my belly button pierced! I personally think it looks so cute, and I know I have the perfect belly button for it. I know BF will like it. But what do you guys think of that sort of thing?
Call me old-fashioned, but I'm not a big fan of self-mutilation as a fashion statement. Now, if the piercing had some utility value, I might be swayed. For example, a piercing that gave you a place to put your key-ring so you never lost your keys -- that would be something!

Old 10-13-2004, 11:48 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

At the rate I lose my keys, this would actually be a good idea....
Old 10-13-2004, 12:49 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey Chocokitty, I think if you have earned the belly button ring, then you should get it done! I think it is very sexy on the right person. But please no nose, eyebrow, lip or uhmmm other parts...just ears and belly button ok? I did hear that it takes a long time to heal though.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:52 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hey Kitty,

I say if a middle aged woman has a tummie she feels good about baring, go for the ring. It will draw attention and more guys will enjoy what I'm sure is a very hot tummie.

I'm with you-confidence is a turn-on.

Mikey
Old 10-13-2004, 01:24 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's been fun watching this debate for the past few days. I posted a while back in favor of reading *****'s posts--and my post was promptly accused of being a subterfuge. Not true, but so be it!
I guess my first thought on seeing this was to go back to my original point about the problem with trolls being that they take away from the contributions supplied by registered users, and that your opinion would be better taken if you were one, had contributed and had therefore been victimized by this troll. Its easy to say "live and let live" when you have nothing on the line.

My second thought, in that same vein, is why someone would find the site so useful but not want to register and contribute...but would take the time to file a couple of posts in support of a proven troll...?

So pardon some of us for our skepticism, and apologies if you are actually a real person and not a bad facsimile.

Most of us have shown their belief that the past will repeat in our investments...peoples historic behavior is usually an even more reliable indicator of their future behavior. This trolls past behavior suggests that he will persist in volume and voracity until disruption occurs.

Its true that only a handful of people here are calling for a ban. If you look at the posting volumes, the people calling for a ban are also contributing a substantial majority of this sites content, and therefore have the most "on the line".

I'm willing to wear a bellybutton showing kilt supported only by piercings. Photographs will NOT be allowed though...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 01:27 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey all !

Yeah, this thread has taken a turn for the better !
CK: Go for the ring if you REALLY have the nice flat tummy for it. They are definitely sexy, but then I like nose rings and tongue rings too. What can I say, I'm Gen X ! Tatoos ? Like them too. The fad on cute girls with the lower back tatoo showing above the G-String, Mmmm, really like that.. !! FWIW, if you do any kind of body modification like this, just make sure it can be covered up discreetly....

-Pan-

When you walk in the shadow of insanity, the presence of another mind that thinks and acts as yours does is something close to a blessed event. -Robert Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 01:30 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Yeah its improved, but have you considered the conversation went from ***** to firing pieces of metal into your skin as a fairly natural progression?
:P
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:22 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Things that make you go Hmmmmmmm....

Judy
Old 10-13-2004, 03:26 PM   #70

I'll tell you what.............if confidence is a turn-on,
then I should never have lacked for female
companionship. Come to think of it, I never did............

John Galt
Old 10-13-2004, 05:50 PM   #71
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'm with TH on this thing (kilts and the other matter.)

The problem at NFB was a lack of attention to kayacks and repeated responses to endless drivel.
I of course have no objection to a tool that helps community members ignore certain threads or certain posters or whatever...I'll do my part. That's all that I can do. The rest is up to all of you. We are a community. We solve our problems as a community.  (quote from before dory solved our problem)
ataloss2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 11:04 PM   #72
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's probably too soon to say for sure, but so far it looks like dory36's approach was a wise one. Simply wait for this fire to burn itself out (with a little help from the local mob).

No matter what the outcome, I'd like to say thanks to dory36 for the board and for FIRECalc! Few of us can really appreciate the effort required to create something like this, keep it running, and then take on the added burden of arbitrating these periodic fights.

Kudos!
Old 10-15-2004, 05:59 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Amen to that!

FIREcalc and dryer sheets - Life is good.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:53 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh, the things I fall behind on when I neglect to read the forums and go to Montana for a few days!

arrete, how lovely to see a mention of the Scottish Walk. The Campagna center was a favorite charity of my late sister; she won an award from them and they have named it after her.

John, you pierce MY heart with your heartless comments about liberals! Here in Montana everyone is driving massive SUV's and pickups with gun racks and Bush bumper stickers. I try to stay in my hotel room.

TH, I long to send you some Valium. I know it's awful, but truly, if you never post a response to him again (and if almost everyone joins you in that), he will post so much less. And what a lovely thing that would be!

BTW, I'm in Montana learning how to diagnose a psychopath. Might come in handy.

Cheers!
Anne, who can knit but finds socks difficult
Old 10-16-2004, 01:16 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

I wish ignorance of the posts was a 100% effective solution. But as a group of people who have many years of experience with this troll have already stated, this will not solve the problem. Besides people having different levels of tolerance, new posters and people who are readers-only wont get it.

I had hoped having his own little corner of cyberspace would keep him out of other sandboxes, but since he's driven everyone else out of said sandbox, its become boring.

Sometimes people respond to a threat before it causes damage. Most of the time they decide to wait until the damage has been done and they must act.

I suspect that we as a group will look back on this moment at some time in the future and regret the inaction.
Old 10-16-2004, 01:33 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

You may be right. I have to confess, I quit reading his stuff because it gave me a headache. And I certainly have not followed what goes on on OTHER ER boards.

But I have seen this happen on other discussion groups I've belonged to. On wildly different topics. Groups I've quit, come to think of it. They get hijacked by wild-eyed issuemongers and I can no longer bear to read the drivel, or a troll comes in and pushes everyone's buttons, causing an even more miserable sort of hijacking and the topic becomes all process, no content.

I left both of those boards.

Thoughtfully,
Anne
Old 10-16-2004, 01:37 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
John, you pierce MY heart with your heartless comments about liberals! *Here in Montana everyone is driving massive SUV's and pickups with gun racks and Bush bumper stickers. *I try to stay in my hotel room.
Anne, dear, those old boys use the guns on Bambi, not on nice middle class ladies like yourself. Go on down to the tavern tonight, and prepare to meet some charming fellas. Some of them can do a wicked 2-step

Mikey
Old 10-16-2004, 01:43 PM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, I'm not REALLY staying in my hotel room all the time. I'm not really afraid they'll shoot me. But you know - I even LOOK like an Eastern liberal. I turn heads around here in Great Falls. Jackson Hole it ain't.

Anne
Old 10-16-2004, 03:25 PM   #79

Anne, are you really a liberal? Say it ain't so

P.S. I love Montana..................

John Galt
Old 10-16-2004, 06:11 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, I'm not REALLY staying in my hotel room all the time. *I'm not really afraid they'll shoot me. *But you know - I even LOOK like an Eastern liberal. *I turn heads around here in Great Falls. *Jackson Hole it ain't. *

Anne
Trumpeting_angel,
I grew up in and worked in NYC; traveled around the world and now live in Atlanta. The concept of a liberal in the USA is a dead concept in my opinion. The differences between liberal and conservative in this country are relatively minor. Liberals and conservatives are labels used to polarize people so that they remain faithful to either the Democratic or Republican party.

Maybe this should be another thread. The reason we are in Iraq is because we want a comfortable life and are willing to sacrafice the good people in the armed services. This is a policy that started with FDR and re-affermind by every president since then. They all took the pledge. It doesn't matter if Bush or Kearry is elected in this regard. They both have the same exit strategy and engery policy - and that is our fault.

My point is: Don't look at those people with the gun racks in their pickup truck as different than you. Look at the simarlarities and you will see many.