Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-17-2016, 12:25 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

FWIW, I have found that Prime products are often more expensive than Target (or similar store) prices. However, the cost in travel and time is usually enough to make the extra charge for Prime worth paying. So for purchases under about $40 Prime is best for me. Over about $70 a trip to Target (or other store) is probably the best deal. In between, who knows?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2016, 12:37 PM   #22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
FWIW, I have found that Prime products are often more expensive than Target (or similar store) prices. However, the cost in travel and time is usually enough to make the extra charge for Prime worth paying. So for purchases under about $40 Prime is best for me. Over about $70 a trip to Target (or other store) is probably the best deal. In between, who knows?
Like any other store, most frugal retirees would pay attention to the prices. I think we all try to fit in that category.

Often I find prices to be considerably lower on Amazon, even on expensive things. Often not. Here in my New Orleans suburb, we have a nearly 10% sales tax so that is an expense of shopping locally as well as the cost of gas and time spent.

I won't even mention the aches and pains of aging and the convenience of having some young, buff UPS driver gently set my package just outside my door for me so that I don't have to wrestle with it. I admit that once in a while, those factors enter into the equation too.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 01:45 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
I don't find myself buying unneeded things on Amazon, merely items I would have purchased elsewhere. There's a reason the brick & mortar stores are suffering.
I agree. I once ordered some guitar strings from Amazon...basically the same price as the local music store that's a 20 minute drive from my home. I actually felt guilty because I really do believe in supporting local business.

Music stores suffer due to Amazon...people come in and test drive gear, and then buy the $600 guitar for $550 from Amazon. Other than the one instance with guitar strings, I'm the opposite...I research gear online, but buy all my gear from the local store.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:48 PM   #24
Dryer sheet aficionado

Brick and mortor is responsible for their own failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
I don't find myself buying unneeded things on Amazon, merely items I would have purchased elsewhere. There's a reason the brick & mortar stores are suffering.
Brick and motor stores are failing b/c they no longer carry an adequate product selection and employ poorly-trained staff that merely repeat back your question with a blurry-eyed glance. I make 90% of my purchases on Amazon, usually receiving them the next day. On the few occasions I return an item I'm credited with a refund within an hour of taking the parcel to UPS.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:14 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
However, I have learned: NEVER drink and Prime..

Sound familiar to anyone?
Oh, yes, I learned that lesson decades ago. Actually it was well before Amazon went online and the drug wasn't alcohol, but Percocet. I'd had some surgery and the doc prescribed that for the pain. I found that Percocet, tool catalogs, a telephone, a Visa card and boredom are a very bad combination.

The UPS driver was dropping boxes on my porch every other day for about a month.

While I have an extensive wish list on Amazon it's a safe bet that I won't buy the majority of it. I'll see something that looks interesting and use that as a "bookmark" so I can find it again when I make up my mind about what to buy and what to let go.

Lately for me it's been getting back into radio control model airplane stuff. The small electrics are small enough that I can fly one in the back yard without all the hassle of having to drive somewhere, and they're so lightweight at ~2 oz. that they just don't have the mass to do any damage or injury. When I told DW that the new radio transmitter had enough memory for 250 different model setups, her first response was "Don't even think about it!" Ah, by now she knows me too well....
Old 06-17-2016, 04:25 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I buy many things through Amazon with Prime. It's convenient to think of something I need or want, order it, and have it delivered before I'd find the time to drive to a store. I don't like shopping.

Prime may actually save me money because I buy what I need and am not tempted by impulse purchases, as I would be at a brick & mortar store.

Besides the "free" shipping (really it's just pre-paid shipping), I stream video and music with Prime. Plus, as a Prime member I have unlimited photo storage in the cloud.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:36 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I keep a monthly budget and track odds and end spending so I don't spend too much on Amazon. Otherwise it is easy for me to forget how much the little odds and ends add up, costs-wise and especially clutter-wise. We do get many things we need from Amazon. It saves on gas and time so I get many staples there like dog food and treats. Our dog has to inspect every Amazon package as he has figured out how his treats arrive at the house now.

I put a list of the things I want on camelcamelcamel and once or twice a month something I've been wanting will popup at a really low price.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 04:43 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Our dog has to inspect every Amazon package as he has figured out how his treats arrive at the house now.
Now that's funny!
Old 06-17-2016, 04:48 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Now that's funny!
My husband caught him trying to open a package of dog jerky treats the other day still in the shipping package. I didn't think he could smell it through the outer shipping packaging and sealed product package but evidently he could. He is usually really well behaved so it was actually funny. He just couldn't help himself with that kind of temptation around.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 05:29 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Sound familiar to anyone?
Yes! Prime 2-day shipping was great when we were full time RVers, and when we got back to living in a house, we started buying a whole lot more. We buy a lot of groceries and supplies fromAmazon. Quite a bit of clothing too, luggage, electronics, even furniture, the list is long!

Funny, one time the UPS guy remarked that we sure ordered a lot of books. I told him that we don't order books from Amazon, just everything else. He thought Amazon only sold books! LOL!
Old 06-17-2016, 06:45 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm doing it wrong. I ordered a couple of frying pans off "amazon" Turned out they came from a third party. Took a month and they arrived finally half broken out of the box-no packing material and pretty much crap.
I once ordered a cord for computer-came from China and I had a foreign exchange fee added to cost.
I ordered a couple of used books-cheap but the smell-I had to toss them out
Old 06-17-2016, 07:11 PM   #32

Subscribe & Save is my weakness, seems my monthly list keeps getting bigger. But I do like that they notify in advance if prices go up, and I often go and postpone things that I haven't run out of. (Also, if you don't feel like subscribing, you can say you do anyway, put it at 6 months, get the discount, then cancel the subscription.)

Cat Food
Hair stuff
Soap/Cleaners
etc.

It's all stuff I would buy elsewhere and need, but it's cheaper on AZ, and arrives without any bother every month so why on earth not?

And yes always look for "Fulfilled by Amazon" for new things when you can, 3rd party sellers can be trickier but amazon service stands behind any order.

Also they have Handmade now.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:26 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post

Cat Food
Hair stuff
Soap/Cleaners
etc.

It's all stuff I would buy elsewhere and need, but it's cheaper on AZ, and arrives without any bother every month so why on earth not?

]\

agreed... chewydotcom for high quality dog food, cheaper than store, delivered... no brainer...
Old 06-17-2016, 10:50 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

With Amazon, DW uses home as dressing room. If item doesn't fit, goes back to Amazon, no shipping charge and full refund.

Yes, I definitely take into the equation of time, gas, etc. than going to a physical store. Even if it saves a few bucks, I still come out ahead buying via Amazon. But usually Amazon is still often times lower cost.
Old 06-18-2016, 09:19 AM   #35

I refuse to buy the Prime membership, as I don't want to be locked in to buying everything from Amazon (or anyone else, for that matter). Lately, I've been ordering more stuff from Jet. com, and I like it. Selection is not as large as Amazon, but price is frequently as good or better (on the things I buy, anyway). Plus, Jet.com gives you 15% off of your first 3 orders, and they only have a $35 minimum to get free shipping.
Old 06-18-2016, 09:35 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
I refuse to buy the Prime membership, as I don't want to be locked in to buying everything from Amazon (or anyone else, for that matter). Lately, I've been ordering more stuff from Jet. com, and I like it. Selection is not as large as Amazon, but price is frequently as good or better (on the things I buy, anyway). Plus, Jet.com gives you 15% off of your first 3 orders, and they only have a $35 minimum to get free shipping.
I got an offer (one that I could refuse) from Walmart promoting their "shippingpass" service which is intended to compete with Prime. The offer is $49/year. At first blush, looking at the price, that was tempting but when I searched on a few things I was looking for, they weren't on shippingpass. Sometime for me to file away in my mind and see how this grows in comparison to Prime.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:30 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

If one buys a lot on Amazon, they should utilize https://smile.amazon.com/ so there is a donation made to your favorite charity with each purchase.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:58 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
I just ordered from Jet. Stocking up on some cat food and some other essentials (shampoo, soap and other stuff). Price for cat food was better than Amazon and I liked the 15% off bribery discount. . I'll have to remember to look for the non-Amazon packaging when the items arrive .