Join Early Retirement Today

Addicted to Amazon
Old 06-17-2016, 07:20 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Addicted to Amazon

I have just looked at my Prime orders this year and since RE and moving to a 'new to us' home in an active adult community, I think we've become addicted to Amazon Prime. Seems like we pretty much run the household on Prime, excluding groceries. Some household stuff recently:

dog food
smoke alarm
floor cleaner fluid
steam carpet cleaner
printer ink
water filters
door chime
dog leads
weed wacker
umbrellas

not including discretionary stuff like:

golf shag bag
golf gps watch
bottle cutter
book 'The Nightingale' (great book btw)
cellphone holder
meat thermometer
bluetooth speaker
coasters
water bottles

seems like every morning I wake up trying to remember what might be at the front door today... actually it's kind of fun.

However, I have learned: NEVER drink and Prime..

Sound familiar to anyone?
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2016, 07:27 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Haha, you ask this on a forum with a monster thread on what was the last thing you ordered from Amazon!

I actually let my Prime membership lapse a few months ago, because I was getting worried that I might also be addicted and thought it might be time to tone down the ordering. I have to admit that it did cure the impulse a bit to know that I now have to come up with $50 worth of stuff for free shipping AND wait a week for it to arrive!

It was the discretionary stuff that was getting me!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:32 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Their one touch purchasing makes it very easy to do business.

I'm not a shopper--rather a buyer. When I order something it's just one item and it's usually something I really need. Ordered pair of size 15 men's shoes yesterday--a bargain.

Now if I could just stay out of Harbor Freight Tools which is new to our community.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Haha, you ask this on a forum with a monster thread on what was the last thing you ordered from Amazon!
yep, I've contributed to that thread many times
Old 06-17-2016, 07:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
With 50-100 orders a year (well, only one in 1996), I don't touch that thread!

Just ordered two Memory-foam mattresses and a bed on Wednesday ....
Old 06-17-2016, 07:48 AM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
So, just to be clear, are you saying that prior to Amazon P* you didn't buy all that kind of stuff?

Is there a word we can invent to describe shopping for stuff we really don't need on Amazon? Amazoning, perhaps? Priming would work, but that already has a meaning.

Q - what were you doing just now?
A - Amazoning.

If that works, then "drink and Prime" becomes AWI (Amazining while intoxicated) or PUI (Priming under the influence).
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:10 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I was just trying to fill a Prime Pantry order last night but didn't find enough stuff to put in so emptied the cart. I know the addiction finding at times when not shopping just browsing products or reading the reviews. Oh yeah, reminds me that I go a few Prime movies in my video cue to watch .
Old 06-17-2016, 08:57 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I had a growing feeling Amazon was trying to addict me. I noticed that things would go on sale after I researched them on the internet. It started to feel a little creepy. I decided to not look at Amazon during the week and only buy things and look around on the weekend. This has reduced my "on the spur of the moment" purchases.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:47 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I don't know that I would say I am addicted (I REFUSE to see how many orders I placed in the last year, though!) but it sure is convenient. Just yesterday, I went to Home Depot to get some door hardware. I figured that while I was there, I would pick up an OTA antenna since we just "cut the cord" for cable TV. They had a whopping TWO to select from. So...I came home and took a gander on Amazon instead...and yes, there were about 30 to pick from that were available through Prime and there were about 15 or so I could get the SAME DAY for no additional shipping charges. Plus, LOTS of reviews to see what works and what doesn't. Not only to mention, I really dislike leaving the house for ANY REASON, so getting stuff from Amazon is a win/win for me.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:52 AM   #10

I don't find myself buying unneeded things on Amazon, merely items I would have purchased elsewhere. There's a reason the brick & mortar stores are suffering.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:04 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
I don't know that I would say I am addicted (I REFUSE to see how many orders I placed in the last year, though!) but it sure is convenient. Just yesterday, I went to Home Depot to get some door hardware. I figured that while I was there, I would pick up an OTA antenna since we just "cut the cord" for cable TV. They had a whopping TWO to select from. So...I came home and took a gander on Amazon instead...and yes, there were about 30 to pick from that were available through Prime and there were about 15 or so I could get the SAME DAY for no additional shipping charges. Plus, LOTS of reviews to see what works and what doesn't. Not only to mention, I really dislike leaving the house for ANY REASON, so getting stuff from Amazon is a win/win for me.
I'll add that as for some electronic accessories like cables, big box stores might leave you screaming bloody murder if you compare the prices there versus online like from Amazon. Always good to have to power of browsing and comparing at your own pace instead of relying on what the stores stock at the time.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:06 AM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I'll add that as for some electronic accessories like cables, big box stores might leave you screaming bloody murder if you compare the prices there versus online like from Amazon. Always good to have to power of browsing and comparing at your own pace instead of relying on what the stores stock at the time.
+1
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:18 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I have just looked at my Prime orders this year and since RE and moving to a 'new to us' home in an active adult community, I think we've become addicted to Amazon Prime. Seems like we pretty much run the household on Prime, excluding groceries.
I moved to my 'new to me" dream home last July, and then had a lot of work done (mostly on the yard) to make it just what I wanted. I was pretty much "bleeding money" for about a year, but that all ended in March or April I guess. So, my mission has been to cut back on purely discretionary purchases (other than fixing up my new house) if I can, to get my spending under control again. This year's Amazon purchases have been almost entirely items to meet health and hygiene needs, or to finish decorating/furnishing my new house. OK, I did buy a video game on sale!

I was just looking at Amazon yesterday and wondering if I should order more items like detergent and coffee creamer that I usually get at the grocery store. Some of them are cheaper than what I pay at the grocery store, but only come in "Amazon Pantry" where there is a shipping charge per box full. I need to read more about that, and try assembling a box full to see how prices compare once shipping is added.

I don't think that Amazon Prime has negatively impacted my spending overall. I don't order blindly or unthinkingly. Sometimes the prices are higher, but sometimes lower as well so I keep that in mind. It is easy to see what I could have omitted (the video game?) just by looking at my orders.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:22 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I've got a Prime membership, but for items that I don't need right away, I do a search to see who else sells it, then a search at Retailmenot for promo codes for those stores. I can frequently beat Amazon's price.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
I don't find myself buying unneeded things on Amazon, merely items I would have purchased elsewhere. There's a reason the brick & mortar stores are suffering.
+1....I only buy stuff I need or want..no drive by shopping on impulse
Old 06-17-2016, 10:31 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I moved to my 'new to me" dream home last July, and then had a lot of work done (mostly on the yard) to make it just what I wanted. I was pretty much "bleeding money" for about a year, but that all ended in March. So, my mission has been to cut back on purely discretionary purchases (other than fixing up my new house) if I can, to get my spending under control again. This year's Amazon purchases have been almost entirely items to meet health and hygiene needs, or to finish decorating/furnishing my new house. OK, I did buy a video game on sale!

I love Amazon Prime, too. I was just looking at it yesterday and wondering if I should order more items like detergent and coffee creamer that I usually get at the grocery store. Some of them are cheaper than what I pay at the grocery store, but only come in "Amazon Pantry" where there is a shipping charge per box full. I need to read more about that.

I don't think that Amazon Prime has negatively impacted my spending overall. Sometimes the prices are higher, but sometimes lower as well so I keep that in mind. It is easy to see what I could have omitted (the video game?) just by looking at my orders.
Something I do like about Pantry is that you can get quite a bit of stuff "for free." Many of the normal items for sale though Prime will let you get a $5.99 credit with Pantry if you elect the "no rush" shipping.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:34 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Is there a word we can invent to describe shopping for stuff we really don't need on Amazon?
How about "Browsing and bookmarking, but not buying"?

I have a ton of Amazon stuff bookmarked in a favorites folder I call "Wish List". After something sits there a few months, I move it to a folder called "Maybe Later". Then once or twice a year I go through "Maybe Later" and delete stuff. It's amazing how much of that stuff seems really stupid after a few months have passed.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:35 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
Something I do like about Pantry is that you can get quite a bit of stuff "for free." Many of the normal items for sale though Prime will let you get a $5.99 credit with Pantry if you elect the "no rush" shipping.
Oh thank you!!! I didn't know that. That's a great tip, for me.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:47 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I have to admit I really like Amazon Prime. They have me "hooked" on many levels. The free shipping is awesome and I also take advantage of Amazon Fire TV with all the free offerings and I dig the streaming music service as well. I don't *think* we purchase things we don't need, but boy it is super convenient. Yes, I know there is no such thing as a free lunch, but at least I'm filling up! :-)
JohnnyBGoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:08 AM   #20

Whatever you do, don't get the Prime Now app! I've already ordered two things and had them delivered in under 2 hours. WAY too convenient...
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote