Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-09-2016, 02:10 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

When the ipad and similar came out, I wasn't too interested. It seemed ok but not worth the price in my mind. Then about 3 years ago on Fathers day, DS gave me one (ipad mini 1st gen) as a gift (he loves apple products) cuz he thought I was missing out? I found out that it was a pretty neat gadget, surf the web, netflix, use wi fi at w*rk, etc. etc.

Over time I noticed that apps would run slow, web pages painfully slow some would just reload a minute or two after being on the page with an error that 'something went wrong with the web page and it has to reload'. It was getting to the point that if I didn't have an app for the website I wanted to use, I wouldn't go to it.

I guess the paranoid belief is that each iOS upgrade purposely slows down your device, uses more memory, etc., so that you get frustrated and voluntarily purchase the newest hardware Maybe its true?!?

Anyhow not to hijack the thread, but just two days ago, my ipad went completely blank, like the power was off. No hard reset, charging for multiple hours, nothing, would get it to work. I ended up taking it to a apple (not official) repair place and they tried some kind of hard diagnostic reset on it and no go, it is now a paper weight. Has that happened to anyone else? Is 3 years an average amount of life for an ipad?

So, now not having one I am jonesing for one. I saw at Costco they have the mini 4 with 64G for $429. A drop in price (I was told) due to the newest pro coming out and $70 less than apple direct. I'm going to get it tonight or tomorrow.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2016, 03:01 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieboy View Post
I guess the paranoid belief is that each iOS upgrade purposely slows down your device, uses more memory, etc., so that you get frustrated and voluntarily purchase the newest hardware Maybe its true?!?
No, they wouldn't do that. Anymore than MS would do it with each new release of Windows. Don't be a conspiracy theorist.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:31 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieboy View Post

Over time I noticed that apps would run slow, web pages painfully slow some would just reload a minute or two after being on the page with an error that 'something went wrong with the web page and it has to reload'. It was getting to the point that if I didn't have an app for the website I wanted to use, I wouldn't go to it.

I kind of noticed the same thing with my iPad 2. After one upgrade, my iPad slowed down so much that I hesitated to use it. I found some tricks off of the internet (Evidently, a lot of people had the same performance issue and posted work-around's) and turned off a bunch of features and the speed improved, but not to the original state. I now have an iPad mini 2 and iPhone 5 and I am not upgrading either of them until I research the internet to make sure the new release doesn't slow down the models I have. Maybe Apple doesn't mean to do it on purpose, but they don't care about older models much, and probably do more stringent QA testing against newer models, is my opinion.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:06 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Nexus 10 tablet has been da bomb for me. Spouse is beginning to understand why Netflix through the tablet can be superior to watching on a big screen. Love falling asleep bingeing on The Office episodes.

After 3 years it is still reliable. I see it is downgraded in name now - to Nexus 9.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:21 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
No, they wouldn't do that. Anymore than MS would do it with each new release of Windows. Don't be a conspiracy theorist.
I wasn't throwing that out as my belief, just that I had heard of the theory.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:56 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
My original iPad still has a place like yours too - it stays in my bedroom for Kindle reading. iOS upgrade stopped and tons of apps couldn't be upgraded and the browser started crashing randomly after a while, but it still works good for Kindle reading.

Download chrome I find it crashes less then Safari

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:07 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Because sometimes you (may) have to type. If you work with spreadsheets or do any significant keyboarding, the iPad quickly becomes a PITA.
I have an Apple keyboard I bought in 2007 that works beautifully with the iPad (or iPhone for that matter). Bluetooth connection. I keep it in a drawer near where I usually use the iPad, and turn it on when I want it. A few seconds later, I have the iPad propped up and I'm typing away.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 02:56 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I bought the keyboard with the iPad pro so far it is awesome...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote