Adult Fun and Games

tangomonster

Full time employment: Posting here.
No, no, no---not THAT type!

But since retiring, we have become more social and are having people visit us more. At first we resisted the card/board game playing stuff, but people seem to like it and we have discovered that some games can be fun, like Pictionary and Apples to Apples.

Can anyone recommend some others? Fun games that aren't overly serious and competitive, but are just to have fun with another couple or two?

My daughter got a copy of the "WELFARE GAME" it is a real hoot! We also enjoy LIFE and the discussions that it brings up (finance 201). Dominoes can be a lot of fun as well. Not into complex card games here, just a libation or two and a couple of friends looking for economical fun time.

pinochle (3 handed 1 bid), scrabble

We do this when the family gets together for the holidays. Balderdash, Outburst, Scattergories, Buzzwords and Phase 10 are some of the games we play along with the two you mentioned.

One that I love we call "the other game". It's a card game that's really quite easy to describe and learn and play.

1. Dealer takes a standard deck of 52 cards, shuffle and deal 8 cards to each player.
2. Dealer turns the top card in the deck over and lays it on the table. Whatever suit is shown by this card is trump.
3. Starting at the dealer's left, each player "bids" on how many tricks they think they will win. Everyone can bid anywhere between zero and 8 tricks, except the last person may bid any number *except* the number that would make the sum of everyone's bidded tricks equal to 8...for example, if you're playing with four players and the bids are 2, 3, and 1, the dealer can bid any number between 0 and 8 *except* 2 (because 2+3+1+2=eight). These bids are written down on a piece of paper.
4. Person to the dealer's left plays a card. Following players must follow suit if possible. Highest trump card wins; if no trump card, highest card wins the trick.
5. Player winning the trick leads the next trick.
6. After all 8 tricks are played, scoring is done as follows: 1 point per trick plus 10 points if you *exactly* meet your bid from step 3.

Repeat steps 1 through 6 with 7 cards, 6 cards, ... , 2 cards, 1 card, 2 cards, ... 8 cards. Winner is the player with the most points.

2Cor521

Naked Scrabble. It works for the young wife and me.

Mexican Train dominoes is a blast.

In some places there are restaurants, golf clubs, or wherever you can find it that do trivia nights. It's a lot of fun to bring a team, it's free, and there's usually really cheap drinks.

Can anyone recommend some others? Fun games that aren't overly serious and competitive, but are just to have fun with another couple or two?
How about Twister? :cool:

A generation ago, the always expected couples over game would have been Bridge. Seems to have fallen out of favor, but if you find other players could still be fun. If you are just looking for light things to do, there are all kinds of kids card games like Uno, Spite&Malice, Rook, Hiss, Take6 and others. You could have a selection and just play through each until folks were ready for a change. Light and varied enough to be fun but not too serious.

'oh sh!t' is a fun dice game

spades is an all time favorite card game of mine

uno attack is fun at parties

my wife loves 'sorry' (its either that or aggrevation...cant recall)

outburst is fun at parties

I hear Spencers has a great selection in adult fun & games. >:D

Taboo, pictionary (get a large white board to use instead of paper so everyone can see bad art while sitting and drinking a beer), and uno.

When playing pictionary, have the women make the things the men have to draw and the men make the things the women have to draw. We do this when we play with family (cousins) and it's a great time. Just make sure when your 16 year old male cousin has to draw a d!ld0 that his mother does not walk in the room at the same time.

Monopoly (we also have Monopoly Jr.) ... got to start 'em young!

Bar room bridge.

We play with some friends at a local watering hole - here's the twist: the team that wins the rubber (bridge term - crawl out of the gutter now ...) buys the next round.

At holidays when we have a big crowd around, we play a game called Cuckoo. You remove the 8s, 9s, and 10s from a deck of cards and everyone starts out with 3 coins. Everyone sits around a table and each person is dealt one card, face down. Starting to the dealer's right, each person gets to choose whether to keep the card they have or pass it on to the next person. The objective is to not have the lowest card when the passing is done. Lowest card is an ace, highest is the king, and the jack is higher than the queen. If the passer tries to pass to someone who has a king, they flip the king over and say "cuckoo", informing the passer that they are stuck with their crappy card. When the passing comes around to the dealer, everyone flips their cards over. The lowest card has to kick a coin into the pot. If the dealer has the low card, he is entitled to cut the deck and try to beat the next lowest card, since the dealer often gets stuck with crap. When someone has lost all 3 coins, they still get to play until one more low card ("on your honor"). Repeat until one person is left (winner of the pot), rotating around the table as to who deals.

Its a game that really needs at least 5 people, but it is so simple that even kids of 6+ or so can play.

At holidays when we have a big crowd around, we play a game called Cuckoo. You remove the 8s, 9s, and 10s from a deck of cards and everyone starts out with 3 coins. Everyone sits around a table and each person is dealt one card, face down. Starting to the dealer's right, each person gets to choose whether to keep the card they have or pass it on to the next person. The objective is to not have the lowest card when the passing is done. Lowest card is an ace, highest is the king, and the jack is higher than the queen. If the passer tries to pass to someone who has a king, they flip the king over and say "cuckoo", informing the passer that they are stuck with their crappy card. When the passing comes around to the dealer, everyone flips their cards over. The lowest card has to kick a coin into the pot. If the dealer has the low card, he is entitled to cut the deck and try to beat the next lowest card, since the dealer often gets stuck with crap. When someone has lost all 3 coins, they still get to play until one more low card ("on your honor"). Repeat until one person is left (winner of the pot), rotating around the table as to who deals.

Its a game that really needs at least 5 people, but it is so simple that even kids of 6+ or so can play.

we have a different name for this- it rhymes with duck too.

we have a different name for this- it rhymes with duck too.

Heh. That must be the same as the version I suggested we play at easter: their choice, $20 or $100 bills instead of coins. Since DW won that one, I would not have been unhappy.

A generation ago, the always expected couples over game would have been Bridge. Seems to have fallen out of favor, but if you find other players could still be fun. If you are just looking for light things to do, there are all kinds of kids card games like Uno, Spite&Malice, Rook, Hiss, Take6 and others. You could have a selection and just play through each until folks were ready for a change. Light and varied enough to be fun but not too serious.

My parents still play bridge every sunday night and sometimes saturday nights with their friends. Then again, they are in their 60's. No one from my generation that I know of knows how to play bridge, but my parents love it...

One that I love we call "the other game". It's a card game that's really quite easy to describe and learn and play.

1. Dealer takes a standard deck of 52 cards, shuffle and deal 8 cards to each player.
2. Dealer turns the top card in the deck over and lays it on the table. Whatever suit is shown by this card is trump.
3. Starting at the dealer's left, each player "bids" on how many tricks they think they will win. Everyone can bid anywhere between zero and 8 tricks, except the last person may bid any number *except* the number that would make the sum of everyone's bidded tricks equal to 8...for example, if you're playing with four players and the bids are 2, 3, and 1, the dealer can bid any number between 0 and 8 *except* 2 (because 2+3+1+2=eight). These bids are written down on a piece of paper.
4. Person to the dealer's left plays a card. Following players must follow suit if possible. Highest trump card wins; if no trump card, highest card wins the trick.
5. Player winning the trick leads the next trick.
6. After all 8 tricks are played, scoring is done as follows: 1 point per trick plus 10 points if you *exactly* meet your bid from step 3.

Repeat steps 1 through 6 with 7 cards, 6 cards, ... , 2 cards, 1 card, 2 cards, ... 8 cards. Winner is the player with the most points.

2Cor521
I've heard it called "Countdown" or "Oh Hell." When playing with 3 or 4 people, deal 13 cards, then one less each round. Game ends after round of 1. We also have a variation to make the selection of trump more exciting; the player who is chosen to go first that round can look at half his hand, and select the trump based on that preview.

I'm also a big fan of spades, which has some similar gameplay. I've never gotten into Bridge because I don't feel like learning all of the intricate bidding.

Back
Top Bottom