Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Adventures in online ordering
Old 11-28-2017, 02:11 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 45,422
Adventures in online ordering

The only thing I purchased on Thanksgiving/Black Friday was an online order for two 36 qty packages of AAA batteries from Lowe's Home Improvement. The order came to less than $12, including tax and (free) delivery. I ordered them on Thanksgiving (23rd) and received an email confirmation of the order, telling me they would be shipped to my home address and to expect delivery on December 1.

I received another email on Nov 27 apologizing and telling me the shipment had been delayed. The planned ship date was Nov 23 but the expected ship date was now Nov 24 (?). If I was willing to accept the delayed ship date, I need do nothing. I thought the dates a bit strange but decided to simply wait to see what happened next.

Today (Nov 28) I got a phone call from a Lowe's store located 45 miles from me saying my order was ready for pick up. I explained my order specified delivery and I had received confirmation they would be shipped to my home address. After a pause, I was told "The order is in my pick-up station...but I will change it."

Two questions:

1. Giving them the benefit of the doubt on the pick up vs. ship misunderstanding, why would I be expected to drive 45 miles for pick up when there are 10 Lowe's located closer to me - unless they were trying to get me to cancel the order?

2. What are the odds I'll get an email saying "Sorry, we couldn't fulfill your order and it has been cancelled"?
__________________

__________________
Numbers is hard

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2017, 02:17 PM   #2
Moderator
Walt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WV Panhandle
Posts: 19,879
Based on all the posts I see here about megacorp BS I'd be more inclined to attribute this to ineptitude than deliberately trying to cancel a low-dollar order.
__________________

__________________
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:20 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 10,268
I gave up my Commercial Account with Lowes when I tried to order a $585 dishwasher for delivery two months ago and they could not fill the order in three weeks. Actually, they could not even give me a delivery day at all, but they CHARGED MY CC. They have a problem.

Home Depot had me one in a week.
__________________
Wear Italian, Kiss French, Drink Russian, Drive German
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:20 PM   #4
Administrator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: lumpen slums of cyberspace
Posts: 29,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Based on all the posts I see here about megacorp BS I'd be more inclined to attribute this to ineptitude than deliberately trying to cancel a low-dollar order.
+1

Hanlon's razor.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:27 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 45,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

Hanlon's razor.
I'm a Gillette guy...
__________________
Numbers is hard

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:31 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,685
If the folks running Lowe's order services are anything like the so-called installers for appliances, all I can say is good luck. You may need it.
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:33 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 9,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I gave up my Commercial Account with Lowes when I tried to order a $585 dishwasher for delivery two months ago and they could not fill the order in three weeks. Actually, they could not even give me a delivery day at all, but they CHARGED MY CC. They have a problem.
Yep, Lowes could not deliver a dishwasher for weeks, so I bought the same one at BestBuy for the same price and delivery two days later on the day after Thanksgiving.

@REWahoo, we use rechargeable batteries, so no need to buy new batteries in years and years even if they are less than 16 cents each. Are you not afraid that with 72 of them, about 40 will leak before you even have a chance to use them?
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:41 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Red Badger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Piedmont Region
Posts: 1,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
If the folks running Lowe's order services are anything like the so-called installers for appliances, all I can say is good luck. You may need it.
++++++1

I had Lowes install laminate flooring on our ground floor last month. I am disputing the labor charge for the leveling work (slab floors usually need leveling compound laid down in the low spots and maybe some grinding of the high spots). The requirement can only be known after carpet is removed. Anyway, the added labor cost was $1100+ for 4 hours of semi skilled labor. After a flurry of calls to inept / incompetent to 1-800-eat-s#1t and several useless trips to the local store, it looks like we'll meet at arbitration. YMMV.
__________________
Never let yesterday use up too much of today.
W. Rogers
Red Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:49 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 45,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
@REWahoo, we use rechargeable batteries, so no need to buy new batteries in years and years even if they are less than 16 cents each. Are you not afraid that with 72 of them, about 40 will leak before you even have a chance to use them?
You must not have grandkids, who show up with their toys and need batteries, only to take them home, never to be seen (or recharged) again...

Yes, I do have rechargeables that we use for many applications - not involving offspring of offspring.
__________________
Numbers is hard

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:56 PM   #10
Administrator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: lumpen slums of cyberspace
Posts: 29,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You must not have grandkids, who show up with their toys and need batteries, only to take them home, never to be seen (or recharged) again...

Yes, I do have rechargeables that we use for many applications - not involving offspring of offspring.
+1

I lost an entire set of rechargables last holiday season when the grandkids were visiting. Their battery powered toys went home with at least 12 of my eneloop AAs, and even though I alerted DD, they vanished into thin air after that. If they need batteries this year, I'm doing the same as REWahoo. Except the Lowes part. I'll buy at Costco. $12 for 2x36 is a very good deal, if it does get delivered.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 03:28 PM   #11
Moderator
Walt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WV Panhandle
Posts: 19,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You must not have grandkids, who show up with their toys and need batteries, only to take them home, never to be seen (or recharged) again...
Ah, I had wondered why he was going through so many batteries. Now it makes sense.
__________________
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 03:40 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 10,268
Here's the best deal in batteries:

https://www.google.com/search?q=harb...azunma08IBgBM:

digitalsavings_06b.jpg
__________________
Wear Italian, Kiss French, Drink Russian, Drive German
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 04:16 PM   #13
Moderator
Jerry1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

Two questions:

1. Giving them the benefit of the doubt on the pick up vs. ship misunderstanding, why would I be expected to drive 45 miles for pick up when there are 10 Lowe's located closer to me - unless they were trying to get me to cancel the order?

2. What are the odds I'll get an email saying "Sorry, we couldn't fulfill your order and it has been cancelled"?
The interesting thing to me is that they actually ship things to the store. When I go pick up stuff at stores (which I do when they have free ship to store and I would otherwise have to pay for shipping), there is usually a UPS labeled box and the item was actually shipped to that store. Seems expensive and inefficient for something that they probably had or should have had already at the store. As for the store being 45 miles away, my guess is that when you ordered, you did not specify the store and much like auto correct, they picked one for you based on your internet connection. I think you'll eventually get your order, but it may take awhile.

As for the batteries versus the rechargeables, I did the same think. Grandkids need batteries and don't really understand rechargeable batteries until they hit 10 to 12 years old (at least in my case). I picked up some alkalines too. They are not as good as good rechargeables, but I like having some around just in case - but I have to get them cheap. I got a pack with 30AA and 24AAA for $9.88. They are Rayovacs but I have to say, I've had no trouble with them leaking versus Duracells which I've had leak right in the package even before the expiration date. I called them and they did send me a coupon for some replacements, but with the coupon was a written lecture about how I'm supposed to store batteries. Really? In my heated and air conditioned house, should be sufficient for any battery.
Jerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 04:23 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
VanWinkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Brighton
Posts: 1,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
++++++1

I had Lowes install laminate flooring on our ground floor last month. I am disputing the labor charge for the leveling work (slab floors usually need leveling compound laid down in the low spots and maybe some grinding of the high spots). The requirement can only be known after carpet is removed. Anyway, the added labor cost was $1100+ for 4 hours of semi skilled labor. After a flurry of calls to inept / incompetent to 1-800-eat-s#1t and several useless trips to the local store, it looks like we'll meet at arbitration. YMMV.
You might ask for the phone # of the regional supervisor for the jobber. This will be a Lowe's employee that does the vetting of the installers. He/she has to power to hurt their pocketbook and may be able to facilitate the settlement of your dispute. My SIL is one of these supervisors and assists customers all the time. Hope you find a resolution.

VW
__________________

VanWinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone Have Luck Ordering New Printer Cartidge Online? John Galt III Other topics 29 01-08-2013 08:59 AM
Be Careful Ordering Free Kindle Books TromboneAl Other topics 11 01-02-2012 07:28 PM
Ordering Meds rpow53 Health and Early Retirement 5 07-28-2009 08:09 PM
Ordering Pizza in 2010 Eagle43 Other topics 9 03-22-2008 02:09 AM
ordering food over the internet mathjak107 Other topics 6 11-13-2006 12:14 PM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:45 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.