Adventures in online ordering

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
The only thing I purchased on Thanksgiving/Black Friday was an online order for two 36 qty packages of AAA batteries from Lowe's Home Improvement. The order came to less than $12, including tax and (free) delivery. I ordered them on Thanksgiving (23rd) and received an email confirmation of the order, telling me they would be shipped to my home address and to expect delivery on December 1.

I received another email on Nov 27 apologizing and telling me the shipment had been delayed. The planned ship date was Nov 23 but the expected ship date was now Nov 24 (?). If I was willing to accept the delayed ship date, I need do nothing. I thought the dates a bit strange but decided to simply wait to see what happened next.

Today (Nov 28) I got a phone call from a Lowe's store located 45 miles from me saying my order was ready for pick up. I explained my order specified delivery and I had received confirmation they would be shipped to my home address. After a pause, I was told "The order is in my pick-up station...but I will change it."

Two questions:

1. Giving them the benefit of the doubt on the pick up vs. ship misunderstanding, why would I be expected to drive 45 miles for pick up when there are 10 Lowe's located closer to me - unless they were trying to get me to cancel the order?

2. What are the odds I'll get an email saying "Sorry, we couldn't fulfill your order and it has been cancelled"?

Based on all the posts I see here about megacorp BS I'd be more inclined to attribute this to ineptitude than deliberately trying to cancel a low-dollar order.

I gave up my Commercial Account with Lowes when I tried to order a $585 dishwasher for delivery two months ago and they could not fill the order in three weeks. Actually, they could not even give me a delivery day at all, but they CHARGED MY CC. They have a problem.

Home Depot had me one in a week.

Based on all the posts I see here about megacorp BS I'd be more inclined to attribute this to ineptitude than deliberately trying to cancel a low-dollar order.
+1

Hanlon's razor.

If the folks running Lowe's order services are anything like the so-called installers for appliances, all I can say is good luck. You may need it.

I gave up my Commercial Account with Lowes when I tried to order a $585 dishwasher for delivery two months ago and they could not fill the order in three weeks. Actually, they could not even give me a delivery day at all, but they CHARGED MY CC. They have a problem.
Yep, Lowes could not deliver a dishwasher for weeks, so I bought the same one at BestBuy for the same price and delivery two days later on the day after Thanksgiving.

@REWahoo, we use rechargeable batteries, so no need to buy new batteries in years and years even if they are less than 16 cents each. Are you not afraid that with 72 of them, about 40 will leak before you even have a chance to use them?

Last edited:
If the folks running Lowe's order services are anything like the so-called installers for appliances, all I can say is good luck. You may need it.

++++++1

I had Lowes install laminate flooring on our ground floor last month. I am disputing the labor charge for the leveling work (slab floors usually need leveling compound laid down in the low spots and maybe some grinding of the high spots). The requirement can only be known after carpet is removed. Anyway, the added labor cost was $1100+ for 4 hours of semi skilled labor. After a flurry of calls to inept / incompetent to 1-800-eat-s#1t and several useless trips to the local store, it looks like we'll meet at arbitration. YMMV.

@REWahoo, we use rechargeable batteries, so no need to buy new batteries in years and years even if they are less than 16 cents each. Are you not afraid that with 72 of them, about 40 will leak before you even have a chance to use them?

You must not have grandkids, who show up with their toys and need batteries, only to take them home, never to be seen (or recharged) again... :)

Yes, I do have rechargeables that we use for many applications - not involving offspring of offspring.

You must not have grandkids, who show up with their toys and need batteries, only to take them home, never to be seen (or recharged) again... :)

Yes, I do have rechargeables that we use for many applications - not involving offspring of offspring.
+1

I lost an entire set of rechargables last holiday season when the grandkids were visiting. Their battery powered toys went home with at least 12 of my eneloop AAs, and even though I alerted DD, they vanished into thin air after that. If they need batteries this year, I'm doing the same as REWahoo. Except the Lowes part. :) I'll buy at Costco. $12 for 2x36 is a very good deal, if it does get delivered.

Ah, I had wondered why he was going through so many batteries. Now it makes sense.

Here's the best deal in batteries:

https://www.google.com/search?q=har...hUk5IMKHdeSAFYQ9QEIMzAB#imgrc=Gazunma08IBgBM:

digitalsavings_06b.jpg

Two questions:

1. Giving them the benefit of the doubt on the pick up vs. ship misunderstanding, why would I be expected to drive 45 miles for pick up when there are 10 Lowe's located closer to me - unless they were trying to get me to cancel the order?

2. What are the odds I'll get an email saying "Sorry, we couldn't fulfill your order and it has been cancelled"?

The interesting thing to me is that they actually ship things to the store. When I go pick up stuff at stores (which I do when they have free ship to store and I would otherwise have to pay for shipping), there is usually a UPS labeled box and the item was actually shipped to that store. Seems expensive and inefficient for something that they probably had or should have had already at the store. As for the store being 45 miles away, my guess is that when you ordered, you did not specify the store and much like auto correct, they picked one for you based on your internet connection. I think you'll eventually get your order, but it may take awhile.

As for the batteries versus the rechargeables, I did the same think. Grandkids need batteries and don't really understand rechargeable batteries until they hit 10 to 12 years old (at least in my case). I picked up some alkalines too. They are not as good as good rechargeables, but I like having some around just in case - but I have to get them cheap. I got a pack with 30AA and 24AAA for $9.88. They are Rayovacs but I have to say, I've had no trouble with them leaking versus Duracells which I've had leak right in the package even before the expiration date. I called them and they did send me a coupon for some replacements, but with the coupon was a written lecture about how I'm supposed to store batteries. Really? In my heated and air conditioned house, should be sufficient for any battery.

++++++1

I had Lowes install laminate flooring on our ground floor last month. I am disputing the labor charge for the leveling work (slab floors usually need leveling compound laid down in the low spots and maybe some grinding of the high spots). The requirement can only be known after carpet is removed. Anyway, the added labor cost was $1100+ for 4 hours of semi skilled labor. After a flurry of calls to inept / incompetent to 1-800-eat-s#1t and several useless trips to the local store, it looks like we'll meet at arbitration. YMMV.

You might ask for the phone # of the regional supervisor for the jobber. This will be a Lowe's employee that does the vetting of the installers. He/she has to power to hurt their pocketbook and may be able to facilitate the settlement of your dispute. My SIL is one of these supervisors and assists customers all the time. Hope you find a resolution.

VW

Back
Top Bottom