Join Early Retirement Today
Old 12-23-2014, 12:13 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
On the subject of commercials, I have noticed that on the Jimmy Kimmel show, the break before the last guest lasts about 12 minutes. Sometimes it's around 10 or around 15 minutes. I usually DVR the show so I can skip the commericals, but for those that watch his "live" show (that isn't "live" at all..don't get me started on that) I am not sure anyone hangs around for the last 10 minutes.

Founder and Head Lounger @ The Life of Leisure Institute
Retired in 2014 @ The Ripe Age of 40.
ExFlyBoy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2014, 01:47 PM   #22
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Youtube's insertion of ads at the beginning is annoying also - and I haven't figured out a way to get past that.
Many websites connected to TV shows if you want to watch it on the Web have this annoying feature. I would sometimes watch The Tonight Show on the Web if I missed part of it the night before. They always have ads and you can't skip them. But another offender I have encountered has been Comedy Central's "The Daily Show." I forget which, but one of those shows bombards you with not one but FOUR or FIVE ads you have suffer through before the show starts, or between segments. At least I can mute the volume with my speakers but it really rots.

Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:01 PM   #23
We use the DVR, Netflix, or Amazon Prime to avoid commercials. I really wish we could get rid of cable tv, but my husband likes to watch sports.
Ally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 10:51 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
There are so many commercials on TV now that I want to cancel cable. But the GF wants to keep it, so we do. I hate paying $90 a month to have 20 minutes (seems like) of commercials in a 60 minute show. Sometimes I will watch something on PBS that is only mildly interesting to me, simply because it has no commercials! May have to check out the DVR scenario.
IMO the DVD island one of the best things since sliced bread.
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 11:14 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...
I have purposely not watched any live TV since the 22nd because of the last minute xmas advertising glut.
I have several shows and movies recorded on my DVR if I decide I want to watch TV.
I've had the cable music channels on for background music.
Ads are displayed on the screen but there is no audio for the ads.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
freebird5825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 04:36 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...
Phase II...after Christmas sales...ARGH

I've already received 5 emails from retailers hawking major price slashing. STARTING TOMORROW.

Oh brother...
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
freebird5825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 06:24 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...
I'll simply point out that if it wasn't for advertisers this site wouldn't exist.

So as Xmas gift to our nice host everybody should click on a banner ad!

I just did and found out that has some great sales on household stuff, but you should act now the sale won't last forever.

This message brought you by MPA marketing professionals of America, getting people to buy crap they don't need for a more than a century.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 07:37 AM   #28
Didn't want to start another thread for this, but noticing that a number of members don't do facebook or twitter... I think I found a solution to block some of those popover colored square links to Twitter, Google, Facebook, Gmail and some other social linkage programs. Recently some of these links have become so large as to block the text on articles, and I could find no way to make them disappear.
I don't know if this is really the solution, but... so far it looks to be working for me. I use Ad Block Plus. Right clicking on the icon for this brings up "options".
The tab "Add your own filters" brings up a box where you can add this:

Yeah... not necessarily advertising, but one more of the unwanted add ons that becomes intrusive.

I think everyone realizes that advertising is here to stay, and accepts that within reason, but where's the limit? If split screen TV ad/content became the norm, is that too much? Who sets the limit?
instead of what YOU would do... do you think there is a limit to what the public will pay? In other words... will supply and demand become more sharply defined? Printed media seems to be evening out after a long drop in circulation.

How do you see the future?
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:56 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.
I can't do anything in Facebook or Twitter without seeing an ad for some online war game. No idea what it's advertising but it's got Kate Upton in a nice white dress with some armor dressing. Never really knew much about her. Let's just say I've become a big fan. So, ads aren't all bad.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
“Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” John Muir
MuirWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 09:30 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...
I gave up on broadcast TV and cable even though we get both for free. Can't stand the commercials. I've probably seen 10 minutes of commercials this year. I don't think I'm missing anything.

Between Netflix, Amazon TV, Hulu, youtube, and other content sources, it's hard to go hungry for entertainment options.

Retired in 2013 at age 33. Keeping busy reading, blogging, relaxing, gaming, and enjoying the outdoors with my wife and 3 kids (4, 10, and 11).
FUEGO is online now   Reply With Quote