Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-25-2015, 03:20 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitGal View Post
DB and I were chatting at length last night about the fact that I have absolutely no idea about how to drive or maintain an RV. So, maybe I'll jump on a plane to Sacramento; he'll pick me up and we'll head to Santa Cruz in one of his RV's for the weekend. He'll teach me how to drive one and show me what is required for keeping it going. That will give me an idea of whether I really want to try such a venture or not.

(I have no mechanical aptitude or interest. He does, and camped with me when we were growing up. So he knows that I'm more pre-occupied with museums than with how much air is in the tires.)

So, a 1-2 week jaunt like this could easily dissuade me from one hair-brained (?) idea.........and also be a chance to hang out with old friends before returning to my to-do list here.

Sounds like a wonderful trip in all regards. FYI, I'm not very mechanical either and I have had no trouble managing our RV (DH is disabled and I do all the driving, setting up, etc.). But I am a stickler for checking the tires every morning!

MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2015, 04:56 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Sounds like a wonderful trip in all regards. FYI, I'm not very mechanical either and I have had no trouble managing our RV (DH is disabled and I do all the driving, setting up, etc.). But I am a stickler for checking the tires every morning!
MB-- very encouraging! Do you drive a motorhome or pull a travel trailer?

I think I might do better with a MH, since there's no hitch to deal with, or backing up with the weird angles I used watch my dad manage.

DB said the tire pressure is crucial because it's easy to have a blowout before you know it. (I'm pretty good at checking tires with one of those little hand-held gizmos; but, see? I don't even know what they're called!)

Must develop a whole new vocabulary!

Old 02-26-2015, 05:25 PM   #43

LitGal, you might enjoy reading around in the RV forum listed on the right side of this forum's home page. I can't recall the link just now, but they also have a great app.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:33 PM   #44
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
LitGal, you might enjoy reading around in the RV forum listed on the right side of this forum's home page. I can't recall the link just now, but they also have a great app.
For convenience, here is the link

iRV2 Forum | - RV Forum Community and RV News
Old 02-26-2015, 06:06 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitGal View Post
... (I'm pretty good at checking tires with one of those little hand-held gizmos; but, see? I don't even know what they're called!)

Must develop a whole new vocabulary!

Actually, they are called "the little hand-held gizmos that are used to check the tires".
Old 02-26-2015, 07:07 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Actually, they are called "the little hand-held gizmos that are used to check the tires".
And also known as "tire pressure gauge".

LitGal, maybe you can take a course on RV care and maintenance? I would think there are basic ones offered somewhere.

Quick search found this: http://rv101.tv/2012/02/28/rv-care-m...-training-dvd/
Old 02-26-2015, 07:59 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
There are also a gagillion BLOGS (hundreds, for sure, maybe more) that should be very useful. Here is one I know of -- she has been full-time RVing for fifteen years and IIRC becoming a widow was the catalyst:

Life on the Open Road

There are many more that you will find through serendipity once you "join" the RV "underground."
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:32 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
There are also a gagillion BLOGS (hundreds, for sure, maybe more) that should be very useful. Here is one I know of -- she has been full-time RVing for fifteen years and IIRC becoming a widow was the catalyst:

Life on the Open Road

There are many more that you will find through serendipity once you "join" the RV "underground."
Looks good-- I'll check these out!
Old 03-01-2015, 02:15 PM   #49

Two small items that might help--

When my father died one of the smart things mom did was handling the shysters who would phone to talk her into a great investment. Standard answers were--"I'll have to run that by my accountant" or "lawyer". Eliminated most of them on the spot and the number of calls quickly fell off.

With regards to an RV--my bias is toward a trailer with a good tow vehicle. A larger bumper pull. Multiple reasons--More repair shops around to deal with regular trucks/suvs, taxes are lower on a trailer (my state you buy a lifetime plate so that is lower too), don't need a smaller "toad" to do the side excursions. Just some things to think about.

If you are still nervous about traveling, there are RV excursions or travel groups where you pay a nominal fee and can travel in a caravan where the leaders usually are up on doing repairs. Never done that myself though. Good Sam's has lots of groups and are very welcoming. Most are more than happy to share info and suggestions on RVing and it probably wouldn't be hard to find a few to caravan together for a few campgrounds.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:16 AM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

And here is RVing on the cheap:

- Living Big in a Tiny House

It helps to watch this with the Closed Captioning turned on -- at least for me, we truly are separated by a common language.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:26 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
And here is RVing on the cheap:

- Living Big in a Tiny House

It helps to watch this with the Closed Captioning turned on -- at least for me, we truly are separated by a common language.

Could be fun in one's twenties; she's far more ambitious than I am these days. (Would like a microwave, a regular kitchen, and a floor that comes intact with the "caravan.")

I do remember kids in college, back in the '70's in California, who lived in campers. They had their own little community.........and life for them cost way less than life in dorms! They were quite happy.

A fun video-- thanks!
Old 03-02-2015, 09:57 PM   #52
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Litgal…so very sorry to hear of the loss of your husband. My best to you as you move forward and I wish you all good things to come.