Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-11-2007, 03:36 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Oh Eagle - I like Goats Do Roam too! Good pick!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2007, 03:57 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Black Swan - Shiraz

Delicato - Shiraz, I usually get the box on this one.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:13 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

I like Fetzer (California) for reds, both Merlot and Cabernet; it's almost always on sale at the supermarket. I've developed a taste for cheap restaurant Italian chiani (with or without fava beans) but don't remember any vinyard names.

I use Clos du Bois Chardonnay for cooking and that rare urge for a cold white one. Also usually on sale.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:36 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyT View Post
Have a favorite winery or two?
Knapp and Lucas are must visits every time. Vignoles at Knapp is my favorate wine. Lucas has tugboat red which my wife likes, plus a few other reds she also likes.

Castle Gristsch has good holiday reds and whites

Americana was one we went to for first time last year and we'll go back. Their late harvest was quite good.

Haslitt is a must visit for anyone which has never done the wine trail. Do Haslitt with a large group and it is quite the experience. You can go with a smaller group as well. You'll know what I mean when you get there.

Hunt club was also good- it's on Keuka and we had time because our last trip was two full days of wine tasting.

The scenery from all the wineries is spectacular. I recomend any wine drinker do a wine tasting weekend at any place on the finger lakes, with special attention to Seneca or Cayuga lake wine trails.

Finger Lakes Wineries and Trails - New York Wine and Culinary Center, NY State Winery Tours

Welcome to Lucas Vineyards

Welcome to Swedish Hill Winery
Old 07-17-2007, 12:39 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
this thread couldn't have been any more convenient because i don't drink wine but i just made lentil soup which calls for white wine and i had no idea of what to buy. i made it without the wine but ya can tell there is definitely an ingredient missing. now i can finish the soup. thank you forum.
Another thing to try is mould cider, or jello shots with wine.

mould cider- 4 parts cider, 2 parts cranberry wine, brown sugar (1/4 cup for 1/2 gallon liquid) 3-4 cinamon sticks, and some whole cloves (2-3).

hazlitt on Seneca Lake in NYS has a wine called red cat which is GREAT for jello shots. If you are waiting to get in try a jello shot for $2.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:42 PM   #26

i tried the bogle petite syrah over the weekend and it was pretty good - had a bit of a metallic aftertaste? but could have been because i had some cake before tasting the wine...

also tried yellow tail syrah/cab and i liked it...

i prefer the "drinkable" variety - rosemount syrah is a sipper...
Old 07-17-2007, 09:02 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks jIMOH ... Finger Lakes is on our places to go, so it's nice to have some recommendations.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:41 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyT View Post
Thanks jIMOH ... Finger Lakes is on our places to go, so it's nice to have some recommendations.
We have our annual trip scheduled for weekend of Sep 15.

We usually stay on the south side of Seneca Lake. Seneca Lodge is a rustic location across from Watkins Glen St Park. Avoid Race weekend and all should be tranquil. They also have an excellent restaurant.

One day you could drive up the WEST side of Cayuga to swedish hill. This is about a 60 minute drive from Seneca Lodge.

Then work your way down the WEST Cayuga trail. After Knapp and Lucas, cut west to East side of Seneca Lake. Hit Hazlitt and a few others. End at Castle Gritsch.

That trip has about 20 wineries on it. A dedicated wine taster should hit 8-10 in a single day. A Honda Ridgeline holds 20 cases of wine and luggage for 5 people. Do the math

A trip we did for the first time last year was do a 90 minute drive from Seneca Lodge to Keuka Lake. Started at Dr Frank's, went to North side of Keuka (Hunt Club), then went to WEST side of Seneca Lake. Ended at Castle Gritsch. This was done on a Friday in November and went quick. We did the previously mentioned trip on Saturday, and ended at Hazlitt.

Seneca and Cayuga have close to 40 wineries. We always try 2-4 new ones each year. Goose watch is a cool building, and if you can taste upstairs, the view is awesome. Knapp and Lucas are must sees. Like Americana, Hazlitt, Hunt Club. Dr Frank's is overrated. Swedish Hill has huge variety.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:35 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow .. thank you! We may be up that way in early October (tho plans are still up in the air). I have definitely copied your post for reference.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:49 PM   #30

I have a favorite Chardonnay that is well under $10. Try Oak Vinyards Cardonnay. It's about $5 in Texas.

For Shiraz's try Yellow Bird. It's about $6 in Texas.

I could go on with other choices; but if you try these and like them, PM me for some other selections.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:21 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I like the Columbia Crest two vine red wines (cabernet, shiraz and merlot). They consistently score 88 and up in Wine Enthusiast and sell for $6 to $10 - at least that's the price here in Washington