Advice on a good $10 bottle wine

i tried the bogle petite syrah over the weekend and it was pretty good - had a bit of a metallic aftertaste? but could have been because i had some cake before tasting the wine...

also tried yellow tail syrah/cab and i liked it...

i prefer the "drinkable" variety - rosemount syrah is a sipper...

Thanks jIMOH ... Finger Lakes is on our places to go, so it's nice to have some recommendations.

Thanks jIMOH ... Finger Lakes is on our places to go, so it's nice to have some recommendations.

We have our annual trip scheduled for weekend of Sep 15.

We usually stay on the south side of Seneca Lake. Seneca Lodge is a rustic location across from Watkins Glen St Park. Avoid Race weekend and all should be tranquil. They also have an excellent restaurant.

One day you could drive up the WEST side of Cayuga to swedish hill. This is about a 60 minute drive from Seneca Lodge.

Then work your way down the WEST Cayuga trail. After Knapp and Lucas, cut west to East side of Seneca Lake. Hit Hazlitt and a few others. End at Castle Gritsch.

That trip has about 20 wineries on it. A dedicated wine taster should hit 8-10 in a single day. A Honda Ridgeline holds 20 cases of wine and luggage for 5 people. Do the math :)

A trip we did for the first time last year was do a 90 minute drive from Seneca Lodge to Keuka Lake. Started at Dr Frank's, went to North side of Keuka (Hunt Club), then went to WEST side of Seneca Lake. Ended at Castle Gritsch. This was done on a Friday in November and went quick. We did the previously mentioned trip on Saturday, and ended at Hazlitt.

Seneca and Cayuga have close to 40 wineries. We always try 2-4 new ones each year. Goose watch is a cool building, and if you can taste upstairs, the view is awesome. Knapp and Lucas are must sees. Like Americana, Hazlitt, Hunt Club. Dr Frank's is overrated. Swedish Hill has huge variety.

Wow .. thank you! We may be up that way in early October (tho plans are still up in the air). I have definitely copied your post for reference.

I have a favorite Chardonnay that is well under $10. Try Oak Vinyards Cardonnay. It's about $5 in Texas.

For Shiraz's try Yellow Bird. It's about $6 in Texas.

I could go on with other choices; but if you try these and like them, PM me for some other selections.

I like the Columbia Crest two vine red wines (cabernet, shiraz and merlot). They consistently score 88 and up in Wine Enthusiast and sell for $6 to $10 - at least that's the price here in Washington

Back
Top Bottom