Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-16-2010, 09:24 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
You guys were so focused on the "pep" that you missed the "advise." Some grammar police you are!
I think 'Advise" could be correct (though grammar ain't my strong point). As in "Please advise me regarding this issue", versus, "I need advice regarding this issue"? With the shortening of titles, you need to read into it a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I avoid the big local festivals as a rule. We used to do them when we were younger, but my tolerance for the GP (gen public) has gone down to near zero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
The first stage of curmudgeonhood has arrived.
But, has the GP changed, or have we changed (I think it is some of both, with the GP public politeness getting lower all the time)?

-ERD50

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2010, 09:27 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Like Fuego, I prefer smaller venues where I can really get close to the stage and action.
That was ERD50 (whose name I often mistake for my own, possibly because most of the letters are within a letter or two of the letters in my screen name or appear idential. And all caps.)

But I have the same sentiments as ERD50:

Quote:
"Sorry, I don't think you can win this one, unless you can just mentally lower your expectations. By the time I lower my expectations that far, I decide to stay at home most times."
I would guess the harsh feelings by OP comes from different concepts of personal space and what rights he is entitled to. He thinks he has reserved a seat with a view. Then the late comer walks into the venue and thinks "oh, no one is standing up near the front yet. Awesome I just got a really great place to stand and watch the concert."

Tragedy of the commons. My advice to ensure you get a front row position with the best view? Get there first, sit/stand for hours on the front row and then stand up and jockey for position to stay in front. I've been to many concerts (back in my crazy days) where you had to physically muscle your way into the front, and then fight to stay there.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:31 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

It is always like that... people think they can just move in that REALLY SMALL space and enjoy...

I can give you another one... at the changing of the guard in London, you need to get there early to get up front... the police keep you off the street, but you can walk on the street to get around....

SOOO, we were standing on the curb... toes to the edge... and these people walked up and just sat down right on our feet... We were surprised... but move back a couple of inches... then when the show started.... they stood up!!! My 250 pound BIL suggested they move behind us or into the street... they decided to move... I think most people would have just let them cut to the front...
Old 07-16-2010, 10:08 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

And now let us paws for a few words from the patron saint of curmudgeons:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4845.jpg (760.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 07-16-2010, 10:09 AM   #25
gone traveling

People are just plain rude. (Or just oblivious to their surroundings, or just don't care.) The same thing happens at the airport baggage carousel- I'll get there early, (as a frequent flyer, I get upgraded a lot, so I'm usually off the plane first) and respectfully stand back a few feet to give others a chance to identify their luggage and step up to get it. Invariably, some a-hole talking on a cell phone will wedge his/her way in front of me, plop down his/her carry on bag, and block my view of the carousel, while blathering on the phone about who did what to who or how traumatic the flight was. When the baggage conveyor fires up, it gets worse. The families (including it seems, every inbred cousin, and snot-nosed neighbor kid) rush up to the carousel and line the rail like the seventh race at Belmont. No way for anyone to see their bags, let alone reach it in time. When the baggage arrives, I usually just force my way through the throng, say "excuse me", use my suitcase as a plow to scatter six kids and crush the carry on bags on the floor, and if I'm lucky, shift the phone conversation to "you can't believe how rude some people are"

As for the OP, the only suggestion I have is maybe take a couple of small blankets with you, spread them out in front of you, and put your coolers, etc. on them. Stake your claim, maybe paving the spot will keep squatters off. Worse case...poison the well- "spill" a whole 2-liter bottle of coke, ( or a broken glass , a sack of nails, rubber dog turds ) on the blanket....maybe they'll get the message and stay away..
Old 07-16-2010, 10:29 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Coughing. Lots of loud, hacking, "I am disloding so many bacteria out of my lungs and in your direction, you wouldn't believe" coughing.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:44 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

For those that gave me good advice thanks, as for the grammar police, I'm really not feel’ in the love. Especially for a Friday.

I knew it was "Pet", but I guess the mind ain't what it used to be.

Ok, where did that ignore button go?
Old 07-16-2010, 10:47 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Dream View Post
For those that gave me good advice thanks, as for the grammar police, I'm really not feel’ in the love. Especially for a Friday.

Oh we all get ribbed once in a while! It wasn't that bad was it?

Audrey
Old 07-16-2010, 10:49 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Hey, the grammar police are just ribbing you in a good natured way. I guess it didn't come through in the prior posts!
Old 07-16-2010, 10:50 AM   #30

Quote:

If this is the worst you've got this week--be happy! It is better, after all, than working.
And it is clearly an indicator you are part of the family when you get "messed with". So you are no longer a newbie.
Feel the love!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:50 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

My Dream, at least you know a lot of posters are not ignoring you. Now cut it out, everyone.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:51 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

The only time I've ever been able to rid myself of naughty people is when I've worn my police shirt.

Those pics of the park and gazebo are breathtaking!

Would you be able to hear the music from the gazebo? If so, I'd park my fanny there; have a cooler with my favorite beverages, comfy chair and do a little people watching.

Then I would concentrate on my companion.....
Old 07-16-2010, 10:57 AM   #33
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I work at a large outdoor concert venue. There is a large pavilion with reserved seating (5,700) and then there is a large lawn with reduced price tickets (13,500).

At non-orchestra concerts you are allowed to stand at your seat. Sometimes we get a complaint from someone who can't see because of a taller person in front of them. The person in front of you paid for their seat and can stand there just like you can. Common courtesy says that you should be aware of the people around you and not interfere or block someone but this is a place with beer and drinks and really loud music and the tall guy in front of you paid $65 for his ticket, just like you did. The truth is that if you are short, you are out of luck. There have been times where a parent brings a little kid and wants to put them on their shoulders so the kid can see. You can hold your kid, but they can't be above your own height. And why isn't your child wearing EAR PLUGS? It's hearing damage level loud. Sorry, that's my pet peeve.

On the lawn they have restrictions on the height of lawn chairs. They have to be the short 9" kind. You can bring your own or rent them for $5. You don't have to have a chair and at some concerts that have really large crowds chairs are not allowed. Everyone is expected to stand.

I used my pass once a few years ago to see Rod Stewart. Using the pass got me a lawn ticket and I rented a lawn chair. Most people around me also had lawn chairs but as soon as the concert started a group of people stood in front of us. I moved to another spot and another group of people stood right there. It was the same all over the lawn. A thunderstorm finally cleared enough people out, so that we could get a view.

Of course, this is different than the OP's free concert in a park. If everyone practiced common courtesy it wouldn't even be an issue.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:06 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Oh we all get ribbed once in a while! It wasn't that bad was it?

Audrey
Ribbed for your pleasure!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:07 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Ribbed for your pleasure!
No photo required.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:09 AM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
It wasn't that bad was it?Audrey
Come to think of it, I've had worse on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I guess it didn't come through in the prior posts!
Oh, I've had my share, but I'm stick’ in around.

Quote:
If this is the worst you've got this week--be happy! It is better, after all, than working.
Quote:
And it is clearly an indicator you are part of the family when you get "messed with". So you are no longer a newbie.
Feel the love!
Actually, that did make me laugh; look I still have the smile on my face.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
My Dream, at least you know a lot of posters are not ignoring you. Now cut it out, everyone.
Thanks for watching my back Joe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Would you be able to hear the music from the gazebo?
The distance from the gazebo to the stage is around 400'. Since there is a pathway that surrounds that park, (it's a skating rink in one of the pictures), and we normally sit about 50'

In conclusion folks we'll just do as we normally do and hope for the best. Oh and I can take a joke, after all, the grammar police never issued me a ticket so I guess I got off easy. Don't think for a second that my spelling is going to get better. I am who I am and I ain't going to change. Pffffffft.

PS. Thanks for bringing the love back.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:24 AM   #37
gone traveling

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?
Old 07-16-2010, 11:24 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am who I am and I ain't going to change.
That's great news....I'm gonna hold ya to it.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:25 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
.... Don't think for a second that my spelling is going to get better. I am who I am and I ain't going to change. Pffffffft.

Phew, wouldn't want Mark Twain to be rolling around in his grave.
Welcome to the curmudgeon club.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:50 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Hey.... when I first read the post I was thinking it was 'perve'... it could have been worse